News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NRA RSO Certification

Started by AZRedhawk44, March 26, 2009, 04:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

I just stumbled across an NRA RSO class... I've been looking for one in the valley for about 6 months with no success, but I found one up in Payson by happenstance.  Got what sounds like the last slot in it, on April 4th.

Just FYI... I've sometimes come across ranges that really want the Shoot Boss to be NRA certified.  We had that situation in Payson September last year, when DonD came out.

Considering how tricky it is to find an RSO class down here in Phoenix, I may look into what it takes to become an NRA instructor for the course as well, and just throw that into training for our current IIT base in AZ.  I believe Rumpshot already has RSO creds since he does all that blackpowder NMLRA stuff... anyone else have it?

Nishnabotna

I took the class last night, but I'm not in Arizona ;)
Go for it, I think it is a needed cert.

smiley_dan

Does it teach anything that will make you (and the shooters) safer?  Or is it something that makes it easier to deal with ranges?

Wade

I do not have one YET! I do want one so I can also get resonable  insurance for the WA DAR ,so other shoots can happen to get more intrest in Appleseed.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

EEL

I took the NRA RSO class at my range here in IL.  Can't say it really taught anything earth shattering.  They use different rules, but the end message is the same.  Follow our 4 and everyone goes home.

It may however, be of some use to quesy range board of directors if we are also NRA RSO certified.  That is, until being a RWVA certified instructor eclipes that of the NRA.  O0

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Sam Adams

I have the NRA RSO Cert. I would not say the training content is better than Appleseed's , but it is recognized by the legal types as a legitimate safety course. The purpose is to limit potential liability.  The NRA training is worthwhile but if you have attended an Appleseed you you have experienced what real shooting safety should be. Both organizations are on the same team, SAFETY.
" Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."  Jeff Cooper

BDG

THE NRA RSO cert is worthwhile if you can get an Instructor to teach you for the right price. Material covered was very basic, like different types of rifle actions, how to interact with shooters during a safety issue, and the NRA version of the 4 safety rules. I did mine early last year and only paid about $55 for it through the Chief RSO at my range, who happened to be the only NRA Instructor in a 250 mile radius. He basically only made a few bucks, and that really just covered his time in processing the paperwork through the NRA.

If you happen to have an RBC in your area soon, check with the SB, as he might just happen to be an NRA Instructor as well..  ;)
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

eaglescouter

NRA RSO is required for any shoot attended by Boy Scouts or Venturing Scouts.  (BSA also requires an NRA 'Instructor' for the disciplin being shot, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. to be present.)
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Nishnabotna

Quote from: Sam Adams on March 26, 2009, 06:27:02 PM
I have the NRA RSO Cert. I would not say the training content is better than Appleseed's , but it is recognized by the legal types as a legitimate safety course. The purpose is to limit potential liability.  The NRA training is worthwhile but if you have attended an Appleseed you you have experienced what real shooting safety should be. Both organizations are on the same team, SAFETY.
O0

boltgun71

I posted the quote below last August when here in South Carolina, Junior Birdman and Talon coordinated a NRA RSO course for the Southeast Appleseed Instructor Corps. 

In short, if you have the chance, get the certification.  Consider it another tool in the tool box.  You can always learn something new, open more doors to Appleseed, and bring more credit to the Appleseed Instructor Corps by getting as many certifications as possible, especially ones from the big dog on the block, the NRA.

Quote from: boltgun71 on August 10, 2008, 10:59:49 AM
Well the NRA RSO course was held on the 3rd of August and was a success.  VAshooter, Junior Birdman, Talon, and myself attended. We all received our RSO rating, while Junior Birdman received his CRSO (Cheif Range Safety Officer) rating.  The course lasted one full day, was extensive in its materials and topics covered, but was by no means difficult.  Anyone who has helped run a Appleseed line or especially Shoot Bossed one would be comfortable stepping into the NRA's RSO role.

Having the RSO rating is important because it can open up several other doors for Appleseed and possibly provide more opportunities.  Working with Boy Scouts I believe is one such opportunity, to teach them I have been told you must have NRA certifications to formally instruct them.  Now with NRA certified instructers we could possibly look at bringing a Boy Scout Troop to an Appleseed and maybe they can earn their Marksmanship badge that way.  Some civilian ranges require that to use and run their ranges you must also have the NRA certification.  With the RSO rating now we can possibly get other ranges that were once closed to Appleseed to open their doors to the program.   

Junior Birdman getting his CRSO rating is important because it now allows him to teach and certify new RSO's, allowing Appleseed to essentially roll its own.  Maybe the RSO course could be an addition to future Boot Camps, who knows?

Continuing education doesn't stop with this though.  I think our next step, at least for myself and Talon is to get the NRA Rifle Basic Instructer Certification(VAshooter already has this, even though its from 1960something).  Knowledge can only help and hopefully with these additional certfications more opportunities for Appleseed will rise.

As Appleseed expands obtaining any additional certifications, whether from the NRA(the most reconized) or from other civilian shooting schools and disciplines will become more and more important.  It will bring more credibility to the Appleseed instucter corps, get us into new ranges that were once closed to us, and possibly expose different groups of shooters to Appleseed instruction.

Fred

Quote from: eaglescouter on March 26, 2009, 06:55:18 PM
NRA RSO is required for any shoot attended by Boy Scouts or Venturing Scouts.  (BSA also requires an NRA 'Instructor' for the disciplin being shot, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. to be present.)

As EEL said, until the shooting world wakes up, and RWVA certification becomes an another "industry standard".

May take another few years - but it'll happen... O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

apollo

I have those credentials as well as the NRA instructor ratings. Working at the Joe Foss Complex where an Appleseed was just completed, I can say that the county requires a qualified RSO be on the range when it is being used. Since several of our club members that are qualified were involved in the shoot, we had it covered. Many public ranges will require it and it will probably become more of a requirement in the future. I can also say that from the NRA training counselor standpoint (I'm not a counselor, but have a friend that is one) it can be troublesome getting people commit to, pay for, and actually show up for classes. Sad to say so, but many are not very committed to the cause.

Newbie to the forum
Apollo

SamD

Been there done that.
So long as they are recognized, I guess they are worth what they charge.
I'll be much happier when ours are recognized.

Sam

Buckshot

Anyone with an NRA Certified Instructor Rating can take the NRA RSO course as home study.  Order the course, take it, do the test and return it and get the rating.

It is not a really great course, but it does make sure that someone has a certain minimum level of training.

Buckshot

mtmisfit

Quote from: Buckshot on March 27, 2009, 01:02:40 AM
Anyone with an NRA Certified Instructor Rating can take the NRA RSO course as home study.  Order the course, take it, do the test and return it and get the rating.

It is not a really great course, but it does make sure that someone has a certain minimum level of training.

Buckshot

+1
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

Rumpshot

Quote from: smiley_dan on March 26, 2009, 05:05:49 PM
Does it teach anything that will make you (and the shooters) safer?  Or is it something that makes it easier to deal with ranges?

It has been said in many different forms, but the short answer to this question is BOTH.

Member Arizona Apple Core.
Appleseeds are formed in the Apple Core.

GrumpyInArizona

I know it's short notice, but there is an NRA RSO class being taught on Saturday (4/11/09) at the Joe Foss Shooting Complex in Buckeye, AZ.  It starts at 8:00 am.

Nishnabotna

I'm starting to wonder if they ever got my form  ???