News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Adapted Appleseed Mindset

Started by BBQ_Bandit, August 02, 2022, 09:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ_Bandit

During a day on the firing line at an Appleseed clinic; as a shooter - you will be introduced to the mindset of a Rifleman/Riflewoman. One of the key aspects in that direction is...

"A desire to learn and improve with a teachable attitude."

That thought is also an important and critical aspect as an Adaptive person at any level of difficulty; both at a short term or a set of long term modifications to a personal way of life.

No one said it will be quick and easy.

There will be struggles, failures... and successes... through gritted teeth, sweat, and tears.

Here is a tip from a personal experience:

Recall any moment of a teary and bitter memory.  Can you recall the internal intensity burning and boiling from within at a dark time? Take that intensity... and turn it to a focus... a desire... a passion that cannot be quenched. That momemt can be held and honed at any given moment.

The Adaptive shooter will have that internal, personal, and practiced advantage - the internal ability to focus and concentrate on a single task. How is that possible? The countless hours of that same level of concentration required for a physical therapy session. I can't recall how many hours of effort - just to lift a finger from a paralized hand.

Sessions that may take multiple  days... weeks... months... years. An exercise of character as well.

Progress might not be measured in seconds... it may boil down to the possibility of a single thought - of firing the shot. The focus... the concentration... resembles the Rifleman's bubble.

For the Instructor with an Adaptive shooter... there will be joyous moments of tears possible - and will hopefully take those dividends to the bank every time.

We get paid... by the smiles!!!
First Appleseed/Cleaned Redcoat 6/13-14/2020
Second Appleseed 7/3-4/2020 (208/250)
Third Appleseed 8/15-16/2020
Blue Hat, Orange Hat, and 222/250

Appleseed Pistol Clinic 
[233/250] Slippery Rock,  PA 5/22-23/2021
[227/250] Annapolis, MD 7/16-17/2022
[233/250] Thurmont, MD 5/20-21/2023

JustKim

ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

rambo granny

Adapting the Adaptives
When there are mobility challenges, following a routine or process allows getting through daily activities with less angst in a more predicable timely manner. The whole world around a mobility challenged person moves at what seems light years faster than what an adaptive person may be able to do.

Escaping from the Ian hurricane flood zone mess to hit the range for a few hours was good medicine. Learning to be a rifleman the first time was hard but not even close to the challenges as an adaptive.

The range goal was to 1.) shoot a regular AQT (not a rapid fire AQT) which, personally involves pain over a longer period  2.) try some processes that just might also help future adaptives as well as give some ideas to inspire instructors to better assist adaptive shooters who find comfort in routine or process, and 3.) learn something myself.

The results? an organized multi stage triple mag set up, a defined placement of chair and mat allowing adapted transitions, and an ok score!
Pictures are attached of the set ups:
*The magazine basket has mags prepped for 2 AQTs and is labeled. There's a box of ammo plus an empty box to put counted rounds in for prepping magazines from  (thus eliminating mistakes from distractions that happen during mag prep). 🤣 The 2 single mags are for standing as a short arm ends up with hand over the mag well.

*Shoot bosses will note that the mat + chair set up takes 2 places on the line. The triangle shape between chair and mat is the standing spot which allows adapted transitions.

"Building your nest" in prep adds a special level of comfort & confidence for the adaptive.

*The AQT was shot transitioning from standing to chair then transitioning from chair to prone. The real challenge was in not being fully relaxed for best NPOA. Big ouches involved. 233 is 10+ points lower than pre accident. Yep, shooting as adaptive is harder and one a day seems my limit for now.

One parting comment…I really don't particularly like writing using just myself, but I sincerely hope that baring my soul 🫣 🤣 helps someone out there and also leads someone else to share their experiences or begin discussions from which we all learn. 🙃😊
Questions are always welcome.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

JustKim

Janet, you are amazing!  Your adaptive shooting scores are higher than many of our "normal" scores.  You are one of the very best shooters with whom I have ever had the privilege of shooting. (did you like my proper grammar -- I think -- rather than TX grammer  ;D)

I am very impressed by your persistence!

I encountered an adpative (recent new prosthetic leg) shooter this weekend, but she had to stop shooting for unrelated reasons, but I was ready to call you for advice.

Most importantly, I found, that it is very important to listen to the shooter: what they can and cannot do -- their limitations - what can bend - what cannot, etc.

I truly appreciate you -- and again -- adaptive or not - you are truly one of the best shooters I have ever encountered.  You are AMAZING!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Love you,
JustKim %)
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

rambo granny

With razor sharp focus, JustKim very clearly and simply defined an absolutely essential key to working with an adaptive: listening! Not only does that give clues for working out an IAO for a particular shooter, but it's helpful in avoiding injury! Encouraging students is one thing, but crossing the line with some physical challenges could result in injury.

I'm greatly appreciative of JustKim's post as this creates a dialogue where everyone can learn! Her post personifies the awesome folk who make the Appleseed program special!

For an adaptive, an enjoyable experience to explore what works for them in a manner promoting whatever relaxing that's possible ( NPOA) 😁 is a an essential part of a winning formula. Small steps also lead to a goal….it just may take longer.ðŸ™,

Yes, Kim, I'd take a call that you mentioned. It also made me think of a wonderfully inspiring, timeless older post of an adaptive who also had the same challenge as the student you mentioned.
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10560.msg87542#msg87542

The goal of a Research tool for both timeless old and new posts is still alive…life has just put a hiccough in my road to get there.
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

rambo granny

No Determination Like an Engaged Adaptive!
Just finished an event in Orlando. As an instructor, if you thought adaptive students would be a rarity, you would be mistaken. 7 of our 10 students at the sold out shoot were adaptive with amazing attitudes. See the post here:
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=64215.msg405575#msg405575

PopPopNavyGuy

I'm so very thankful that you took time to demonstrate the adaptive transition for the 4 minute AQT. I'll be dry from re practicing before hitting the range.
Slow is smooth; smooth smooth s fast.
:F

"If fear is cultivated it will become stronger, if faith is cultivated it will achieve mastery."
Adm. John Paul Jones

rambo granny

Left hander in a right handed world
Watching this very pleasant teen is indeed like watching red hot determination in action as he works the bolt on a right handed rifle with his left hand. This is definitely IAO (IMPROVISE,ADAPT,OVERCOME) inspiration.
While Matt has no physical disabilities, this is definitely an adaptive shooter with determination!
This was at an event a couple weekends ago, but I've been unable to post while preoccupied with the Hurricane Ian flooding aftermath. So now we have Hurricane Nicole coming…..🙏
Short video link w audio on my Drop Box (free to view)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xevab6iwtpmv2hf/Left%20Hander%20in%20a%20Right%20Hand%20World.mov?dl=0

rambo granny

The "adapted mindset" is not just a temporary tool to get around an injury, illness, or disability in order to do a desired physical task.
It is a way of life. As life continues, so do more challenges.

In re-reading a short book written by a major stroke survivor, I was both inspired by her adapted mindset through many challenges and also reminded that strokes are certainly not uncommon and can happen anytime and anywhere…..even at an Appleseed event.

Do you know the signs of this life threatening event?

Facial drop
Arm weakness
Slurred speech
Time to act. Call 911

Keep in mind, it's not just the senior citizens affected, but it can even happen in early life. BBQ_bandit knows about that one & has shared multiple interesting posts.

For the benefit of your family, friends, and our students, I highly suggest reading the short and economical book, "A Humorous and Inspirational Look at Stroke Recovery" by Tessa Radley. The book provides a look at an adapted mindset, recovery by a stroke survivor, and basics about strokes which is simple to understand and punctuated by bits of humor.

The book is available on Amazon. The Smile program also contributes to your choice of donation which includes Appleseed.😁

https://www.amazon.com/Humorous-Inspirational-Look-Stroke-Recovery/dp/1688057447/ref=sr_1_1?crid=XBPRX22X8N19&keywords=A+humorous+%26+inspirational+look+at+stroke+recovery%22&qid=1673021658&sprefix=a+humorous+%26+inspirational+look+at+stroke+recovery+%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1
Pic of book front is attached