News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Gibsonburg, OH - Sandusky County Sportsman's Club

Started by Cadence, May 23, 2022, 02:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadence

It was a tale of opposite weather days at the Sandusky County Sportsman's Club outside of Gibsonburg, OH. Saturday was hot and humid with occasional sprinkles and Sunday was cool and overcast.

We started Saturday morning with the normal welcome, introductions and moved to the safety briefing. Of the 7 shooters who showed up for this event were a good mix of returning attendees and new "Seedlings". Rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coat was shot.  Results showed we had a great bunch of shooters. We had 6 of 7 shooters good at 100, 3 at 200, 2 at 300, 2 at 400, and 2 joined Daniel Morgan.  We also had 1 cleared Red Coat. Congratulations Michael, who also received his Ohio state patch.

We moved on to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot in between the points of instruction and groups began to shrink. Docwilli made the IMC presentation on how to adjust sights and then broke for lunch and the First Strike.
After lunch we shot confirming groups and moved on to the steady hold factors in seated which were followed by related drills. The Second Strike was presented by DocWilli at the afternoon break.

This was followed by presentation of the standing steady hold factors and the afternoon Red Coat. The Saturday afternoon Red Coat had results which showed improvement over the morning effort.  Of the 7 shooters, we had 6 at 100, 4 at 200, 4 at 300, 1 at 400 and 3 joined Daniel Morgan.

This was followed by the Third Strike and the Saturday call to Action.

Sunday started overcast and cool, but with the promise of rising temps during the day. We started the day with a review of the safety rules and the POI's from Saturday. Rifles were brought to the line and the Sunday morning Red Coat was shot.  It was very encouraging.  Usually there is a little drop on Sunday morning but this group knew very well what they were about. We had 6 of 6 at 100, 5 at 200, 2 at 300, 1 at 400.

We confirmed zero's from the day before and performed some NPOA drills, shot a practice AQT, followed by an AQT for score and then broke for lunch. The KD lecture was presented BY Doc Willi as well as Headhunter presenting Hezekiah Wyman, Doc Willi doing David Lamson and the shoot boss performing Sam Whittmore and Elizabeth Zane.

Since Gibsonburg has a 500 yd. range, those that wanted to try their hand at hitting a steel silhouette at that distance went to test their mettle and equipment.

We continued with 2 more AQT's with a fun shoot thrown in to break up the grind, and ended the day with the Sunday afternoon Redcoat.  We had 6 of 6 at 100, 4 at 200, 0 at 300, 1 at 400, and 4 joined Daniel Morgan.

Although we did not add any new rifleman this weekend, we had several shooters with solid scores and getting on the porch knocking on the door. To those people - remember a rifleman persists!

Congrats to Dale (a former orange hat) who requalifies with some solid scores of 228 and 234! I need to mention that this was the first time Dale tried shooting left handed as he is cross-eyed dominate and he just misses scoring a "Distinguished" score.  O0

Dales friend Michael also requalified with scores of 219 and 215.  O0

I want to thank the Sandusky County Sportsman's Club for allowing Appleseed access to their fabulous facility. Without clubs like these, we have no program. Also, I would like to thank my instructors Headhunter, and a special shout-out to DocWilli who made the long trip from his home both days to help me out.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Here's the one photo I have.

I know there are others out there.

:pics:
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Doc Willi

Mike getting his rifleman
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Doc Willi

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Doc Willi

The 500 yard range. Yes there is a target down there. Everyone who tried, hit the target.
Thomas Jefferson

Corvette

Huzzah!!!! Great event.

I was sooooo pleased to see that Dale rejoined us and brought a friend.  I so enjoyed working with him in the past at New Philly and glad that he joined you guys this weekend.  And, such great work with his scores.  Dale, thank you for your continued support and hope to see you again soon on the Ohio Appleseed trail. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!