News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Toledo-Curtice Pistol Clinic May 21-21, 2022

Started by Meadow, May 22, 2022, 11:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadow

Wolf Creek Pistol Clinic was successful in keeping the "cooler by the Lake" at a distance this weekend.  Saturday proved to be cat & mouse with the weather, but the 7 future Pistoleer™s braved out the storm threats, wind & heat.  Sunday opened with "cooler by the lake" weather, and the cold bore pistols were put into action.

Saturday started with greeting, introductions, and POI in the club house.  The Ohio team found out that we had "border raiders" from not only Michigan, but from Indiana as well.  We welcomed all and set out to work on attaining Pistoleer™.

Our first Red Coat hits target gave everyone what direction to progress in getting Pistoleer™.  Iron Sights on target & red dots not working were topic of the day which proved to be a learning curve.  The team was successful in getting it all put together.

Our second PQT produced our first Pistoleer™s of the weekend, two of our lady shooters showed us the way:  Vickie with a 213 (Michigan) & Beth with 215 (Indiana).

Sunday review and Q&A got the team off to a cooler by the lake start (60 degrees vs. 89 the day before).  Another of our lady shooter from Michigan got the hits count sighted in, cleared it.  Congratulations Melissa.

Red dots and iron sights needed corrected, before we could get down to our next series of PQT's.  We started our PQTs and during our breaks hearing of Sam & Sam with "real" show n' tell.  Thanks to Third Degree and his excellent history on the subject, and the rest of the team's histories during breaks.

PQT's had everyone at the door, but only two could finish the task.  Congratulations to Ray 215 (Indiana) and Joe (Ohio) with 210.  Joe found out that the North Bridge water was icy cold at his christening.

Our final red coat hits count of the day. Our lady shooter of Indiana provided a cleared target. Congratulations, Beth

Our weekend provided a new member to our Applecore Team.  Mark (40 cal.) stepped up to become an actual blue hat.  He has been part of the Wolf Creek Appleseed team from the beginning but has now found time to get more engaged.  Thanks Mark.

Thanks to the great Appleseed support team: Slowbutsure; Third Degree; cwcdl79;

Thanks to the Wolf Creek Sportsmen's Association for the use of their facilities.

Dagny

THANK YOU, so very much to all the instructors for your excellent instruction and storytelling throughout the weekend.  You are each among the best of the best! Ray and I enjoy the great camaraderie and friendships formed at each event.

While it's extra fun when our marksmanship improves, I did enjoy teasing Ray for one day about my earning the Appleseed Pistol Clinic patch before he did. On day two, I believe he fully redeemed himself by impressively reaching his score of 214 with iron sights.   

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." â€" Ayn Rand

1st Appleseed: Patriots Day 2009
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6695.0

2nd Appleseed: August 2011
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24570.0

Rifleman Score: Pending

Fair weather shooting confirmed.
1st Appleseed Pistol Clinic 21AUG2021 Curtice, OH - temps reached 100
2nd Appleseed Pistol Clinic 13NOV2021 Piqua, OH - it snowed
3rd Appleseed Pistol Clinic 21MAY2022 Curtice, OH - temps just right!
Scored Pistoleer™ with a 215 on 21MAY2022 https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=63008.0
Cleared Appleseed Pistol Clinic redcoat 22May2022

Shep

Congratulations to the new Pistoleer™s!

I'm so glad you took the hat Mark.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

SteelThunder

Quote from: Dagny on May 23, 2022, 01:01:17 PM
THANK YOU, so very much to all the instructors for your excellent instruction and storytelling throughout the weekend.  You are each among the best of the best! Ray and I enjoy the great camaraderie and friendships formed at each event.

While it's extra fun when our marksmanship improves, I did enjoy teasing Ray for one day about my earning the Appleseed Pistol Clinic patch before he did. On day two, I believe he fully redeemed himself by impressively reaching his score of 214 with iron sights.

We are claiming Beth and Ray as part of Michigan.  Congrats!  Did we break Ray of his Weaver yet?   **)
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Dagny

;D  LOL  We're happy to be claimed as part of Michiana.  No chance of switching away from the weaver.  Ray and I both scored our Pistoleer™'s using the weaver stance. 

We were thinking of you Steel during the weekend, as Meadow has a laser pistol that helps with POA similarly to your rifle model which is also a tremendous help for the Rifleman scores. 

Congrats to you too on your Pistoleer™.  I read in the AAR that like Ray you used iron sights.  Tremendous!! 
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." â€" Ayn Rand

1st Appleseed: Patriots Day 2009
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6695.0

2nd Appleseed: August 2011
https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=24570.0

Rifleman Score: Pending

Fair weather shooting confirmed.
1st Appleseed Pistol Clinic 21AUG2021 Curtice, OH - temps reached 100
2nd Appleseed Pistol Clinic 13NOV2021 Piqua, OH - it snowed
3rd Appleseed Pistol Clinic 21MAY2022 Curtice, OH - temps just right!
Scored Pistoleer™ with a 215 on 21MAY2022 https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=63008.0
Cleared Appleseed Pistol Clinic redcoat 22May2022

mrsurplus

Thanks to all the instructors for doing their best to get me over the PQT hump. Unfortunately, even with the best instruction, it still comes down to the individual pulling the trigger and this time it was just not meant to be. I did learn the true meaning of the word, hubris, as I went into the weekend knowing I was completely prepared and knowing I would qualify. Oh well, third time will hopefully be the charm

Extra thanks to Meadow for allowing me to use his loaner when my pistol crapped out for the second time in as many shoots and to Third Degree for helping me with my grip and stance, and for all the words of encouragement while I was shooting fourth stage

I'm sure I'll be seeing this crew again because not only do I want to get my Pistoleer™ patch, but one of those snazzy Ohio patches would look pretty neat on my shooting shirt as well. Hubris, thy name is MrSurplus

Thanks again,
Jeff
" There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism"
- Alexander Hamilton
" The key to life is how you deal with plan B" - Stephan Dias

Chico

Quote from: Meadow on May 22, 2022, 11:58:29 PM
. . . Our weekend provided a new member to our Applecore Team.  Mark (40 cal.) stepped up to become an actual blue hat.  He has been part of the Wolf Creek Appleseed team from the beginning but has now found time to get more engaged.  Thanks Mark . . .

Well, Mark, congratulations !
Thank you, its gonna be good to see you in that new hat. Looking forward to working the line with you in a couple weeks.
Oct 30/31  1st Appleseed - Gibsonburg (232)

March 5/6  1st Winterseed - WolfCreek (225)
March 5  Cleared RedCoat (Sat am & pm)
March 6  Orange Hat ( I requested Blue )
Aug 20/21 1st Pistol Clinic - Wolf Creek (220)
Aug 21  Cleared Pistol RedCoat
Sept 11  10 Event Pin (Canfield)

Oct 9  Red Hat - Marengo (Meadow)

February 4/5 Shoot Boss IBC (M.O.)
April 1/2 Pistol IBC Annapolis, Maryland
April 2 Pistol Instructor (Catch-10-22)

CMP Range Safety Officer - Rimfire
CMP Range Safety Officer - Smallbore
CMP Range Safety Officer - Air Rifle/Pistol
ISSF Range Safety Officer - Air Rifle/Pistol
Certified - SafeSport Trained
Royal Rangers Counselor - Rifle/Archery

We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again . . . Nathaniel Greene

Third Degree

I want to start by congratulating all of the pistol clinic participants for attention to detail and making the weekend a very safe event. Nice job! Also, many thanks to the students for pitching in when the gale force winds tried to toss our pop-up shelters into the next county. We had a few bent beams, but no total losses.

As a volunteer, my pay off comes from seeing improvement in student performance when the fundamentals are applied consistently. All shooters made great progress over the two day clinic, even with equipment issues. Congratulations to Victoria, Beth, Ray and Joe for making Pistoleer™! Congratulations to Melissa and Beth for clearing the Red Coat target! These are significant achievements and you should be very proud.

Welcome Mike, I trust we will see you at future clinics. Jeff, keep up the good work! You are definitely on the edge of success on the PQT.

Mark, thank you for stepping up to take a Blue Hat! The Orange is not far behind.

It was great working with the local Appleseed team. It was a pleasure to finally meet cwcdl79. Best wishes on your up coming pistol clinic!

Many thanks to the folks at Wolf Creek. This is an outstanding facility and the daily menu is legendary!

Corvette

Looks like a GREAT event.  Congrats to all.  Special Huzzahs!!! to the new Pistoleer™s. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

slowbutsure

Finally I get to the pictures.  Hope they show up in the correct orientation.  I have no idea how to edit a video so here is the link to watch Joe get his reward for a 210.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfqalheu6expimr/2%20KVID0413.mp4?dl=0

Great weekend, great students, great instructors - and finally no mud and swamp at Wolf Creek!!!!

T. WOLF

Sounds like a great event - I need to get down there and shoot with you guys!
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780