News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kingston MI, Pistol IBC, May 14-15

Started by Rangerat67, May 21, 2022, 04:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerat67

The Marlette Sportsman's Association is always a great venue for an Appleseed event.  This event was special as it was the first Michigan Pistol event, a combination Pistol IBC and Pistol Clinic.  Nine Michigan instructors arrived ready to learn, test their skills on the Appleseed PQT, and work toward the honor of becoming Appleseed Pistol Instructors.  Two Ohio border crosser, Shep and Doc Willi, volunteered to help the Michigan Cadre.  The day would not have been a success without help from our southern neighbors!

Saturday followed a "typical" pistol event schedule with extended POI's.  The initial "Hits Count" target results were four shooters hitting the 44 yd target and two hitting the 60 yard target.  With the great attitude of the students on the line, this would certainly improve and be a test for the Appleseed Pistol Program.  The students and the program did not disappoint.

The group stayed on schedule and worked through Grip, Stance, Six Steps, and NPOA.  These POI's were extended to give students additional details and opportunities to ask questions regarding pistol marksmanship and instructional techniques.  Next came drills, drills, and more drills.  Trigger reset, close retention, rapid fire, controlled pairs, target transitioning, one handed shooting, ball and dummy, and talking targets.  Mixed into these pistol marksmanship drills was a history story these seasoned Michigan Instructors had not heard.  Shep presented the fascinating story of Samuel Colt and Sam Walker.

Before the end of the day, we had a Pistoleer™.  Congratulations to Superheat as he was the first to receive his patch.  The day ended with the final target.  The Hits Count target showed what everyone present new to be true, the students improved.  Three hit the 100 yard target four times, three hit Major Pitcairn's Button and one shooter cleared the target!

A Thunderstorm was less than 30 minutes away and all present helped take down the target line, canopies, and any equipment not ready for high winds and heavy rain.  We finished on time and the entire group rode out the storm eating dinner at Eddie G's, a local restaurant.

Sunday started with a bang, or should a say "buck".  The Shoot Boss, Rangerat67, hit a deer with his truck on the way to the range.  If anyone is counting, this is Rangerat's tenth deer since moving to this area 25 years ago.  Do not fear, Sunday's activities started on time!  This time, the POI's were  presented as they would be at a typical event, the students were split into three groups with each giving the opportunity to present and practice presenting POI's  After each POI, the students used this knowledge to shoot the specific course of fire. 

The first Sunday PQT was posted at 11:40 and as the day progressed, Open Sights, SteelThunder, and Miki earned a Pistoleer™ patch!  Pookie rounded out the day achieving a 210 using a Glock 20 (10mm).  Unfortunately for Pookie, the only water for the honorary baptism that the Shoot Boss could find was a partially frozen water bottle.  He may have been shorted a few ounces as some water was t thick to pour, but I have to admit that Pookie did not even flinch as the 32.01°F water poured over the top of his head and down his shoulders.

The remaining students are all knocking on the door with scores ranging from 175 to the low 200's.  Fidget, Pocket Watch, T. Wolf, and Mr. Zeke are all excellent rifle instructors.  Appleseed and Michigan is blessed to have them involved in the program.  These instructors will persist and become full pistol Instructors in the very near future. 

The day was a success and Michigan has in place an initial crew to launch Pistol Clinics in the great state of Michigan.  The first event open to the public is scheduled for July 9th and 10th and we will be ready!

Rangerat67

See the attachements for select photos from Fidget and T.Wolf.

Forgive the Shoot Boss as he is still learning how to post pictures.  Feel free to add better pictures!

Miki

It was a great weekend. Thanks to all of you for making it possible. I had NO expectations going in. It was an amazing learning experience.

When my pistol decided to not cooperate, it was extremely generous of the SB to loan me his pistol. Which as luck would have it was the same make and model I had been shooting. (Although mine is more colorful.) Thanks to the boarder raiders who made this shoot possible. Doc Willie, sorry I couldn't make it to Gibsonburg this past weekend. Hope to see you all again soon.

Respectfully,
Miki

Rangerat67

Miki, The first Michigan Pistol Clinic event is at Kingston July 9-10.  If you are available, I would love to have you sign up to instruct!

Fidget

Great job RangeRat67! You are a great asset and blessing to the cadre!  ~~:)  ;D

Thank you so much Shep and Doc Willi you are wonderful pistol instructors and PIBC leaders!  :bow:

Thank you to all the volunteers who have spent years improving the Pistol program, it is turning into an amazing program.  :1luvu

Thank you!
Most of my books are here: https://www.librarycat.org/lib/bflysmile

Shep

It was a GREAT weekend, thanks for the hospitality!

Congratulations to the new Pistol Instructors; Michigan's pistol program is in excellent hands.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

T. WOLF

Rangerat - thank you so much for putting this event together, you did a great job with it.  Shep and Doc Willi - thank you both for traveling north to instruct.  I learned a lot this weekend - 800 rounds through the Mark IV and I'm feeling better about my pistol marksmanship, but it's clear that I need to invest more time dry firing at home.  It was humbling to be back in the shoes of a novice shooter, and honestly that is a great headspace to occupy at the start of a fresh Appleseed season. I look forward to getting back out on the line for some more PQT's!
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780