News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Has anyone tried putting Tech-sights on a Ruger (Umarex) 10/22 air rifle?

Started by TimOren, May 18, 2022, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimOren

Looking at this as a possible solution for a local 4-H summer camp.  The air rifle repro stays true to the original 10/22 in having Sh*tty iron sights. So, maybe...

The rear sight should work since you can put a 10/22 Pic rail on it, according to this:
https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/ruger-10-22-air-rifle-test-review/
But unknown if the front dovetail would match that for the Tech-sight front.

Is there anyone out there who has tried or could try that?

300berg

That is a cool idea!

This picture in your link above has a closeup of the front sight.
https://hardairmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/HAM-8-4.jpg

This does NOT match the Ruger 10/22 dovetail.

Do you have the dimensions on the air front sight?

Eagle Keeper

Put a Sig Romeo5 red dot sight on it. Put the red dot where you want the pellet to go and it lets you focus on teaching the other fundamentals of shooting.    :DH: :sb:
I have come here to chew gum and teach riflemen the art of shooting one hole groups and I'm all out of bubblegum.
   Z-man
You can't shoot perfect if you don't know what perfect looks like.
     Somebody

300berg

I agree that a red dot could help focus on fundamentals, but for the audience of youth (and first time shooters) it may be problematic.

If I started my son on a red dot he would look at all other iron sighted rifles as defective and unshootable.  Youth mindset.  But that's
the kids I know.  YMMV.

I really like TimOren's idea:  air rifles are very accessible, and for some families it is "just a BB gun"; easy to sign your kid up to an event.

Then they come to an Appleseed and, "Hey, this is the same set up I've had before!".

Great planning, TimOren.

300berg

Eagle Keeper

Iron sights are defective and obsolete it's why the Russians use them in combat.
   :DH: :sb: :boohoo:
I have come here to chew gum and teach riflemen the art of shooting one hole groups and I'm all out of bubblegum.
   Z-man
You can't shoot perfect if you don't know what perfect looks like.
     Somebody

TimOren

Iron sights because:

1) That's what 4-H uses in matches (sporter class) for those who want to continue beyond the basics
2) Optics break, and kids break optics (particularly in a camp environment)

Our 4-H program is not the same as Appleseed, though the instructional outline is what we call 'Appleseed one drink at a time' (as opposed to the proverbial fire hose).  And we're using the Winchester/NRA qualification programs for gauging progress, rather than AQTs.

Seems to work:  We've had six of our 4-H shooters come to 'seeds.  Five qualified at their first event, with two of them shooting 249 and 241 respectively.  And just had our best shooter take a gold in smallbore in her age group at the Junior Olympics - admittedly she's gone a long way past our instruction, including coaching from an Olympic gold medalist.

/brag

TimOren

Quote from: 300berg on May 20, 2022, 07:12:34 AM
There is an M1 carbine air rifle:
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/springfield-armory-m1-carbine-blowback-co2-177cal-bb-rifle?m=4662

That prices in cheaper than the 10/22 + tech sights.  It is BB, not pellet, however.

Saw that.  But we want to use the same air rifles at an indoor range.  BBs in indoor range = ball bearings underfoot everywhere. The suckers bounce off backers and carom all over the place.  (Voice of experience.) Safety issue. 

300berg

TimOren

Saw that, and went past a newish Tractor Supply store in our area this afternoon.  They don't even carry air rifles, let alone having a close out.   :( :wb:

TimOren

Got a reply from Tech-sights saying they think it should work, so I'm going to give it a try later this summer (after the 4-H Nationals at the end of the month).  Will post the outcome.

300berg

Looking forward to hearing your results.

I just got this one for my son: https://www.pyramydair.com/product/blacktac-combo-crosman-m4-177-air-rifle?m=2859#5572

It does pellets and BBs.  The detachable magazine is a storage compartment for parts and the 5-round pellet magazines.  Adjustable rear stock.

Much better than the Red Riders we've played around with.

I hope your 10/22 experiment works out.

GenX Minuteman

Hey TimOren and 300berg,

I was lucky enough to grab one of the 10/22 air rifles from Tractor Supply recently.  I have successfully installed a set of T100 Tech Sights on the rifle!!!!  The rear sight installation was exactly like a rimfire 10/22.  The front sight however required a bit of modification to the rifle.  The front sight on the air rifle is not installed via a dovetail slot like the rimfire version.  The air rifle front sight is held in place by a slotted barrel bearing at the muzzle end.  The front sight fits through a square slot in the barrel shroud (black fake barrel portion).  Luckily, the slot is slightly smaller than the dovetail base on the Tech Sight front sight.  I used a triangle file to slowly make an undercut angle on each face of the slot.  I made it just big enough and undercut enough for the dovetail to fit.  I then used some liquid Loctite between the sight and the barrel shroud to make it secure.  You can then apply all Tech Sight screws to lock it in place!!!!  Way better than the crappy sights which were on there to start with.

Just wanted to let you know it is fully possible to make Tech Sights work, with a bit of work!

Chad Stovell - GenX Minuteman

GenX Minuteman

Just a bit of an update on my last post stating the Tech Sights work (after some modification) with this air rifle.  After giving it a try, there were a few additional modifications I had to make in order for it to work best.  The added modification I had to make was filing down the front sight base on the barrel shroud (black looking barrel piece).  The reason it needs to be filed down is because it forces the front Tech Sight to be too high.  This forces the point of impact to drop low.  You can drop the front sight down to bring the point of impact up, but I didn't want to bottom out my front sight or cut it down in order to accomplish this.  I therefore simply filed down the front sight base so the bottom of the dovetail sat all the way at the bottom of the front sight notch.  Now the front sight height is exactly the same as a real 10/22.  Once I did this, the sighting system worked perfectly without much adjustment.  I used Loctite on everything and put paint marks on the outside of the front sight housing to see if it ever moves.

The other modification I made was to add a cheek riser to the stock.  I got a kydex cheek riser from Matthew's Fabrication on Amazon.  When using this, my cheek is at the perfect height to place my eye directly in line with the Tech Sights.  So much better!!!!

Hope this helps!

Chad Stovell - GenX Minuteman