News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

South Huntsville AL May 14-May 15, 2022 Appleseed - Event ID: 8364

Started by Mixed Metaphor, May 17, 2022, 07:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixed Metaphor

My deepest and most profound gratitude to the Shooters who came out for the event, though weather was a tad warm. 
I want extend our most heart-felt gratitude to Don Eiermann, owner of Hobbs Island Shooting Range.  Don and Matt are tremendous supporters of Liberty and Project Appleseed!  We have held several events there and have many more scheduled.
We arrived around 7:30ish and held an instructor meeting.  Two of the instructors headed down to set up the range.  We had 3 Shooters on the line, all under canopies. 
We held all instruction on line. HondaHondo gave a recount of the First Strike!  We rolled right into safety and safe rifle, then we brought rifles to the line.  Our first 13 rounds was a Hits Count/ Red Coat target.  On the range we learned about proper sling use, 6 Steps of firing a shot and natural point of aim.  Using squares targets, we worked on "zeroing" the Shooters and building up stocks for proper sight picture.  At lunch, HondaHondo regaled us with the Second Strike.  After lunch, IMC was taught.  At this point, we began "zeroing" the rifles.  The groups were great!  The Shooters were exceptionally attentive and put into practice all that was taught.  We were able to teach and practice all of the positions prior to stopping for the day for range closure.
Sunday, we gathered the same as Saturday. Mixed Metaphor told the story of CPT Levi Preston, then reviews started.  The Shooters all participated in the morning reviews.  Their knowledge of all that was taught the previous day was outstanding.  I think we have some Orange Hats for these gentlemen when they are ready!  We had 4 Shooters on the line. AQTs were the order of the day. Interspersed throughout the day was more instruction and Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women stories.  Pop Revere told us about Hezekiah Wyman and Samuel Whittemore.  EddieB recounted Elizabeth Zane's exploits at Fort Henry.  The Instructor crew were happy to hear a story that was new to us.  HondaHondo shared the story of BG Casmir Pulaski.  Well done, Sir!  We finished out the day with AQTs.
The Shooters were AMAZING!  Steve, Jose, Elijah, Zack and Bentley.  They all paid very close attention and implemented the lessons on the line.  We have Riflemen in the making! 

I can't possibly express my gratitude adequately to EddieB, Pop Revere, HondaHondo, Zulu and Liberty Kid for their work. I appreciate their wisdom and guidance.  They all have my undying love and respect.
I love Appleseed.

Please post your pictures, if you have any.

May Liberty Increase!

May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

HondaHondo

What better way to spend a weekend? Liberty to gather with new and old friends, practice marksmanship, and remind ourselves of the history that made it all possible!