News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calling all Virginians in the Valley & Western parts of the state

Started by FiremanEd, March 20, 2009, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanEd

How about all you good Virginian Appleseeders, or Gonna-be-Appleseeders in the Valley or Western areas. Is there anyone up that way that would be able to organize or host an Appleseed?

An official range or on private land. We only need 25 meters and a safe backstop. Are there any public ranges that may be open to the idea? Someone up that way has to have the land or know a farmer who'd let us use some pasture for the weekend. (safe backstops are pretty easy to find out that way..)

If you know someone who has the land but you don't know well enough to ask, contact me via PM and we'll get in touch with them.

Thanks,

FiremanEd
Are you a Rifleman or a clerk?? 

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

T191032

Ok, well I've got a couple of emails out but haven't heard anything yet.  Just called a couple of folks - got their answering machines (not gonna bother 'em at work) and put out a couple more feelers for a potential site here in the Valley (Rockingham County) and surrounding area.

Last night I posted over on RFC in the Community Forum about any possible sites up and down the Western part of VA.

FiremanEd

This sounds great. Thanks for jumping on this and working towards a range in your area.

Let me know if/when I can be of any help for you.

FiremanEd

"Men sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their part"   George Orwell

ltcnemo

Ed,

I am the guy who talked with you at Allemans during 18-19 Apr 09. I will check with that new range outside of Winchester that I told you about. I am not a member of the Winchester Isaac Walton, though I know a guy who is, but I think that their rifle range compares poorly with the one at Allemans.

Mark

FiremanEd

Mark,

Thanks for working on this for us. Like we discussed, we need a range in that area. As you saw in Allemans, that is a great range but we only used one very small percentage of it. If you can locate us a range or land with about 35 Meters of flat (relative) and a save backstop, we can put on an Appleseed.

It was nice meeting you in PA this past weekend, I hope you had as good of a time as the Instructors had! What a beautiful weekend!

Thanks for working on this and I look forward to working with you on this.

Eddie

ltcnemo

Eddie,

I talked with the guy at the range (340 Defense, north of Berryville), but just on the phone. He says that he could put up to 50 on a 25-yard range. I will go to look the range over on Saturday. I suppose that I should consider parking, as well, and check into catering.

I don't know how he will want to handle the commercial end. This range is his business, or at least his paying hobby (he is at least as old as I am, as his grandkid was screaming in the background). I assumed that you get the ranges for free. Does Appleseed normally pay for ranges? Hope so. If so, then tell me an average figure that I can tell him.

Mark

FiremanEd

Mark,

This is great! Why don't you talk to him about the program and gauge his interest. Parking is needed, don't worry about catering, that's a welcome but uncommon luxury. Tell him that we can put in a "range fee" to be paid in addition to the RWVA fee that would come to him but don't worry too much about the specifics.

If he's still interested let me know and I'll schedule a trip up to meet with the two of you and we'll go from there. I have to come up to meet with him and put eyes on the range before we can make anything concrete.

Give me a call anytime if you have any questions, and Thanks again.

Eddie
804-690-1007

Quote from: ltcnemo on April 22, 2009, 02:56:18 PM
Eddie,

I talked with the guy at the range (340 Defense, north of Berryville), but just on the phone. He says that he could put up to 50 on a 25-yard range. I will go to look the range over on Saturday. I suppose that I should consider parking, as well, and check into catering.

I don't know how he will want to handle the commercial end. This range is his business, or at least his paying hobby (he is at least as old as I am, as his grandkid was screaming in the background). I assumed that you get the ranges for free. Does Appleseed normally pay for ranges? Hope so. If so, then tell me an average figure that I can tell him.

Mark

ltcnemo

Eddie,

I went to see Mark O'Dell of the 340 Defense Range... but he had made a run for more ammo, so was not there. I looked over the place, alone, and it sure does not compare to Reade Range. It seems an OK place to shoot with a buddy or two, but does not seem well-suited for such large groups as would attend a typical appleseed (AS) function.

Earlier, on the phone, he had suggested that the AS group, which I had estimated to be ~50, could line up on one side of the 400-yard range to shoot into the side berm. Well, they could, kinda, but not very well.
•   You would need to provide target stands: wooden posts, something, which would incread prep time and slow firing rates.
•   There is no area that is "behind the line," as the 400-yard range was simply dozed out between a corn field and the woods (one can fire only in the direction of the field, not into the woods, as other ranges are in that direction). The AS crew could best be sited at the far end of the 400-yard range, at the end of the firing line, which would not be convenient.
•   Parking is limited.
•   I am not sure that you could get a full 25 yards without risking some shooters shooting over the berm: usually, this is a bad idea.
•   On the plus side, it is only ~four miles from my place.

I left the AS flier for him. Neither was I able to get an idea about how much he would want to rent the range. If the link works, it looks like this: http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmIycG51BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLWJ1dHRvbgRzbGsDbGluaw--#mvt=h&lat=39.197059&lon=-77.918811&zoom=16. Where the range is now is in the top half of the field, and the woods to its left, between the word "pike" and the number "340." If it doesn't work, then never mind.

If you want to discuss it further with him, he is at either 703.309.21.30 or 304.728.20.28; electrons can reach him at mark@340defense.com. The web site is http://www.340defense.com, but there is little info, there.

I would suggest the Winchester Isaac Walton, though I do not know how many that place could hold. I can check them out, next weekend, unless you want to (540.837.22.10 or www.user.shentel.net/winiwla), yourself. Come to think of it, they want people to be members, as I recall. Oh, well

Mark

FiremanEd

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate the groundwork!! I've got another lead up your way, I'll give them a couple more days to get back with me and we'll then compare notes. If I don't hear from them we'll follow up with your two points of contact.

I'll get with you the end of the week.

Thanks,

Eddie

ltcnemo

Eddie,

Here is that I have just heard of: http://www.range82.com, between Warranton and Culpeper, so it is NOT in my backyard. Nice pictures at the web site, albeit only 16 lanes, but it is members only and closed on Sunday, which would make my wife happy, but severly restrict the AS format. I will give them a call.

Is the one that you are waiting on up in Martinsburg? I have heard about that one.

later,
Mark

FiremanEd

Mark,

I've looked into Range 82, they aren't going to work for an Appleseed. Too small and closed all day on Sunday just won't work.

I'm going to be on the phone tomorrow working on catching up on some calls. There're just aren't enough hours in the day, full time job, business and family,,, 

Thanks for all that you're doing again.

Eddie

ltcnemo

Eddie,

OK: I will not call Range 82.

I found info on the one up in Martinsburg: Sleepy Creek WMA. It has eight (count 'em: eight) lanes, but they ARE covered. It is hard to find, but popular, so those eight lanes will fill up, quickly.

Hey: I am doing a DYNAMITE job of eliminating ranges!

Mark

ltcnemo

Eddie,

Getting back to the 340 Defense range, I was able to talk with the guy, himself, this time, and he offered much more. I had looked at just one portion of the range, and he said that another portion could be turned into whatever appleseed wanted: lots of firing lanes, lots of parking, you name it. I will go back this weekend to look at this other portion. I will let you know what it looks like on Monday.

On this basis, you might want to plan a trip up here, when you can. I told him that I could not do anything official, and was just reporting back.

Mark

FiremanEd

Sounds great Mark!

Truculent Turtle offered to come do an site inspection, he's about 2 hours closer than I am so I'll probably take him up on that offer. If he can't make it I will. Let me know how your chat goes with him over the weekend and we'll go from there.

Thanks again!

Eddie

ltcnemo

Eddie,

Well, the chat did NOT go. His boy, who runs the place when alone, was there, but knew nothing about what his dad had said to me, so was no help.

The guy is all kinds of helpful on the phone, and I can understand the first visit going south due to his having to run off for ammo: business comes first. But, his boy said that he is always running around, doing things that need to be done, I suppose, but that does not help appleseed. I doubt that Turtle would get any better response, but, hey: give it a shot.

I have a busy weekend planned, but will see whether I can get over his way, again. Maybe I can catch him if I do NOT plan to meet with him!

Mark

ltcnemo

Eddie,

I have not been able to get hold of the guy, but I have sent him an email.

Among other things, I told him that someone would be calling/contacting him, soon.

His name is Mark O'Dell and he can be reached to 703.309.21.30 (cell), 304.728.20.28, or mark@340defense.com. The web page is http://www.340defense.com, but there is not a lot of info, there.

Whoever goes, you or turtle, keep me in the loop; I would like to tag along with your visit to the range.

Mark

FiremanEd

Thanks Mark,

I'll give him a call in the next couple days.

Eddie

ltcnemo

Ed,

I am trying to attend at Montpelier over 13-14 Jun 09. Do you know who will be instructing?

I only ask because I would like to borrow Bobby's (?) rifle, again!

FiremanEd

Not sure if Robbie's going to be there or not but we'll have some loaners. Come on down.

See you then.

Eddie