News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Solo Winterseed Lady

Started by 553tnegA, February 06, 2023, 01:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

553tnegA

This weekend, February 4-5, 2023 was the first Winterseed at our range in many years.

I lead a women's shooting chapter, and for the last 2 years, Appleseed clinics landed on the same weekend as my chapter meetings. I was finally able to attend my first Appleseed in October 2022 and shot a score of 200. I was pretty proud of myself and knew that the next time I would reach that coveted Rifleman score.

The 2023 schedule posted and what's this? We're having a Winterseed? This is the only thing I wanted more than the purple patch! So of course I signed up. The weekend before was a balmy 5 degrees, so this weekend's 40 degrees and rain was very welcomed! But thanks to the cold and humidity, I experienced more misfires than I'd ever had, a full on magazine failure, and the joys of my hips locking up on me in the seated position. I was in major pain at every seated drill after that and rarely got off more than 3 shots in the allotted time. Every one of us got wet from melting snow & rain (one of us earned her forum name "Puddles")

Sunday after lunch we did a quick warm up drill then got into AQTs. My last AQT of the day (number 5 or 6 for the weekend) finally let me get off 9 of the 10 rounds on the 2nd stage.  Stage 4 really messed with me as I had not 1, but 2 misfires. I miscounted my shots as they were on target, so only got to count 9 of them.  I did a quick tally and got to 200 - I was extremely happy with this since it was, overall, my best run of the weekend. Then the official number came in - 212 points!!

As one of 4 ladies in a 9 person clinic, I was thrilled to be the solo lady to make Riflewoman at this Winterseed. I also, proudly accepted the offer of Orange Hat. Thank you to SB Eert and his team, Mr Clean, Wagon, ARGunner, BaldSinceBirth & Mark for a great clinic - I look forward to working with you in the future! :F
Rhonda/553tnegA

Daughter of the American Revolution
Patriots: Joseph DeJarnette #A206259
Henry Keller #A064272
Jacob Browning #A016030

"I am one of those who never knows the direction of my journey until I have almost arrived"  Anna Strong

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
Goal: Red Hat

1st Appleseed: 10/8/2022
Rifleman Qual: Winterseed 2/5/2023

Mrs. Smith

Rhonda!!

Are you the same Rhonda I spoke with via email???

Well done!  :bow:  those are some very adverse conditions and you KILLED it!  Welcome to the family.  Where are you?

Traci
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

553tnegA

Traci-YES!! I'm in the area of Coeur d'Alene, ID  :) thank you!!
Rhonda/553tnegA

Henry Keller #A064272
Jacob Browning #A016030

"I am one of those who never knows the direction of my journey until I have almost arrived"  Anna Strong

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Mrs. Smith

That's awesome   :beer:

I happen to know that there's an Instructor Boot Camp coming up soon in Coeur d'Alene. I hope you plan to go! It's a great way to kick off your Appleseed journey

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=64474.0
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

ProudPapa14

Congratulations on earning your riflewomen patch at a winterseed event.  And a huge thank you for stepping up and volunteering.

553tnegA

Thank you, Traci! I am already signed up for the IBC and the weekend prior I was already set to be the co-instructor for a private half-day event for my ladies group. I'm so happy to be an official Orange hat for that event!

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on February 06, 2023, 09:50:05 AM
That's awesome   :beer:

I happen to know that there's an Instructor Boot Camp coming up soon in Coeur d'Alene. I hope you plan to go! It's a great way to kick off your Appleseed journey

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=64474.0
Rhonda/553tnegA

Henry Keller #A064272
Jacob Browning #A016030

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Mrs. Smith

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

JustKim

Hey Rhonda,

Thanks for sharing your story -- and thanks for taking a hat!!

Congrats!!

ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan