News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any events take place at Wyoming Antelope Club - Clearwater?

Started by Xavier, May 06, 2022, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Wyoming Antelope Club is currently hosting Project Appleseed!

Calendar for 2023 has the following dates at WAC:

May 20-21

November 18-19

December 02-03

Original: Finally getting settled down here in Florida but missed out on getting to a Patriot Day shoot. Closest one was in Hernando, about an hour and a half and that weekend was super busy. I noticed that there is a place listed very close but they don't seem to have any events, they even list Appleseed on their club page.

Any idea what the status of this club and Appleseed is? I'd love to attend events that are within 20 minutes of home, that would mean I could also still attend church on Sunday and make it out for some range time.

Figured I'd ask as my current closest clubs are Myakka and Hernando, both being over an hour away.

PHenry

Xavier,
Sadly, I had to let Clearwater go. The attendance was so very poor, despite serious promotions. One would think that in a county with over one million humans, we could get more than two shooters to show up. This venue is 22 only and I am the only SB they will allow to run events. Health issues have forced me to suspend running events. So, between these two realities, I dont see any events at the WAC in the near term.

On the brighter side, both HSC and Myakka are excellent venues and allow anything up to .30 caliber.

In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Xavier

Phenry, would you mind possibly meeting up to discuss the future of Appleseed at WAC? I've begun the process of becoming an RO at WAC and am now an IIT here at Appleseed.

I'd like to see this venue hosting events as you know there is a huge population of Rifleman to be had in the county.

PHenry

Xavier,
I laud your spirit sir.

I ran maybe 15+ events there - all 22 only and it took me years to get WAC to allow it. Only happened because the high power match director agreed to run them under his discipline. Gary Swaney - a great guy, who is now like me, not at all well. I could likely get Mike (President) to let me run them again, but I am not up to it. I just cannot be there at 7:30AM any more, unless Lord willin, something changes for the better.

Not likely he would let anyone else run them, as Mike has a lot of faith in me and club rules are very specific about shooting off hand by un-carded public shooters. It's also a tough range to run on. In order to keep rounds from "skipping", I had to develop a two-tiered firing line, where targets had to be moved up and down per position. Add to this that I most often got less than five shooters, despite heavy promo efforts and over a million people in Pinellas. I just gave up - even back when I could have done it. I will never understand why it pulled so few shooters. Your efforts would be better spent someplace else in my experience.

Still, maybe we can meet some some Monday and do some shooting. I can show you what it takes and I am certified to shoot on HP range. I cannot leave the house early. 11AM is about my best ETA to the range.
In Liberty,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ScubaSteve

To quote a more recent president.  We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard,

Would love to see us try to get this range going again. There are at least 3 shoot bosses in the area that could run it. Phenry is probably right they may not let us but all three of the possible replacement shoot bosses are trained by him.

Let's see what they say.

Steve

Quote from: PHenry on June 24, 2022, 12:33:39 PM
Xavier,
I laud your spirit sir.

I ran maybe 15+ events there - all 22 only and it took me years to get WAC to allow it. Only happened because the high power match director agreed to run them under his discipline. Gary Swaney - a great guy, who is now like me, not at all well. I could likely get Mike (President) to let me run them again, but I am not up to it. I just cannot be there at 7:30AM any more, unless Lord willin, something changes for the better.

Not likely he would let anyone else run them, as Mike has a lot of faith in me and club rules are very specific about shooting off hand by un-carded public shooters. It's also a tough range to run on. In order to keep rounds from "skipping", I had to develop a two-tiered firing line, where targets had to be moved up and down per position. Add to this that I most often got less than five shooters, despite heavy promo efforts and over a million people in Pinellas. I just gave up - even back when I could have done it. I will never understand why it pulled so few shooters. Your efforts would be better spent someplace else in my experience.

Still, maybe we can meet some some Monday and do some shooting. I can show you what it takes and I am certified to shoot on HP range. I cannot leave the house early. 11AM is about my best ETA to the range.
In Liberty,
PH

Xavier

PHenry, ScubaSteve,

It's official, I am now a Range Officer at WAC and I was able to speak with Mike Smith who is the guy I've been told I would need to talk to in regards to Appleseed and having events at WAC.

He stated there is nothing stopping Appleseed events from being held at WAC and that everything has already been set up by PHenry. He said I'd be welcome to host the events or PHenry as he has done it in the past.

At this point it's just getting with PHenry to discuss the logistics of reserving time on the club calendar and what kind of supplies are needed for this specific range. I understand there are PVC pipes in the ground already at 25m and they PHenry has or knows where the supplies are to set up target stands.

ScubaSteve

Outstanding work.   Phenry is the guy for sure.
I have worked several events at that range and can tell you where the stuff we need should be located if he is not available.  That said the stuff we need may be gone as we haven't held an event there lately. Even so replacing it is not a big deal. Its a few sticks.

As you feel we are ready to start once again scheduling events please reach out. I am traveling so i am not much help right now but happy to help all I can and even run the event if needed.   Note for the first event for sure we need a shoot boss very familiar with that range running it as the range has some issues that have to be overcome.

Steve

AJ Gonzales

As a fellow ‘Burger, I'm always down to help with events at the WAC. It's a tough nut to crack, that's for sure, and everything PHenry has said is 100% accurate regarding attendance, promotion, and the limitations of the range. It's challenging on all fronts.
Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

PHenry

Just let me know when and I'll be there as much as I can both days. I can meet the sb the Friday before to make everything is still there for the rather unusual target line. I have the backers.

Xavier

Looks like we've already got 8 shooters lined up for May 20-21! Considering that has only been on the calendar for a week or so I'm quite impressed!

mooney

I'm considering picking up the bucket again, and I am in the area. What's the status of Pinellas County and WAC? I use to be the Pennsylvania State Coordinator 10+ years ago, but it looks like lots have changed. What''s the status for Florida and Pinellas County Appleseed?
Mooney

ScubaSteve

Hi Mooney.

Florida is doing great. The WAC took a few years off but we have brought it back with the first event coming up in a week or two.  Check the schedule and if available come on out.  We have two more events scheduled there this year and hope to schedule several for next year.

Steve

Quote from: mooney on May 09, 2023, 01:42:19 AM
I'm considering picking up the bucket again, and I am in the area. What's the status of Pinellas County and WAC? I use to be the Pennsylvania State Coordinator 10+ years ago, but it looks like lots have changed. What''s the status for Florida and Pinellas County Appleseed?