News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AED or med kits?

Started by Codebook, January 26, 2023, 10:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codebook

Might not be the place to post, but are there any places to get discounted AEDs for hope we don't need them med kits? How about med kits just in general?
Knowledge is power

Nightpoison

Check out the instructor discount section. Sing up for Export Voice. There you can get discounts on My Medic products.

KProctor

Expert voice is an option I like primaryarms.com they often have north American rescue kits on sale.

But let's talk about the AEDs are you certified? I'm all about instructors getting additional medical training but I have no idea what the insurance coverage is for project appleseed. I would be hesitant to purchase a defib for appleseed without knowing what the insurance would cover'
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

AF5US

KProctor raises some good points, but I believe that good samaritan laws would cover this in most instances?

If I'm not certified in first aid and CPR but still render assistance I would be covered by good samaritan laws.

Another point: AEDs are supposed to be pretty dummy proof.  They won't even allow a shock to be delivered unless the onboard computer recognizes an appropriate (or rather, inappropriate) pulse pattern.  They're not like ER heart paddles that can deliver an electric charge on demand.

Ironically, The Warrior Poet JUST came out with a video about how an AED saved the life of someone on their range recently.

Video posted 1 day ago.  Maybe the genesis of the original question?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9kZN8uo1mz4&feature=share
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Codebook

Not ironic, the spur of my question. And you do not need to be certified to use an AED as they are automatic and voice prompt  unlike a Manual defibrillator...however I have been trained on both.
Knowledge is power

KProctor

Good Samaritan laws, GSL covers alot of things but it varies state by state and in some instances county by county. I strongly encourage anybody interested in expanding medical knowledge to spend the time getting sped up on the areas you are in. I will also point out that the over arching theme of GSLs is that the bystander does not provide assistance that is  willfully neglectful or use gross negligence when treating the victim.  This means includes the medical equipment as well as your own training.

A brief example of this would be that your quick clot or hemostatic clotting agents are not expired. Or that if you possess a AED that you have function checked it daily and have a unexpired battery in.
It, Using sterile gloves etc. I'm not saying these will 100% lead to lawsuits but unfortunately that's the mindset of alot of people these days.

We have our shooters sign a waiver we have no policy on finding out personnel information such as DNRs medical history or any  prior health related concerns.

Without knowing the specifics of what appleseeds insurance is I would not invest in any kind of AED with my personal money  without also investing in getting a proper certification and a personal liability insurance policy.

I'm not knocking you wanting a AED by any means i think you should get whatever makes you happy and please don't take what I've said as any kind of a negative. I want these conversations I want our instructors and our shooters to be medically proficient I think all of that is super dope.

Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

jtdiver

I carry two med kits,  one for scrapes etc.  One for more extreme needs.
I would suggest learn CPR,  stay current.  I have found with Appleseed  there is
Well Qualified people usually at the seeds.

Listen to instructions,  follow instructions and all will go well.

It is the getting to the seeds and back home that worries me!

Stay Safe!
1st Appleseed, Charlotte, NC
Rifleman Severville, TN  November 2019
IBC       Canton 3-22.
IIT-1      Ellijay, GA   May 16, 2022
IIT-2      Martin, GA   May 29,  2022
Pistoleer™  Martin, GA  May 27, 2022