News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Leesburg, Fl Rifle Event March 12-13 2022 AAR

Started by ScubaSteve, March 14, 2022, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScubaSteve

Wow what an interesting weekend. This was the first Appleseed event at this range, and we made an impression. From the very start the new range new something was different. They do not open their gate until 8am on Saturday and there was a line of 20 cars waiting to get in the gate when the range RSO arrived.
As check in was about 1/2 way complete a storm was baring down on us. It was moving 50 miles per hour and lightning was hitting all around us. With no choice left but to evacuate, all shooters were sent to their cars, but did this deter these great Americans? NO!.

Once the danger had passed the shooters came back to the tents we had set up and huddled in the rain to hear about their great history and learn the fundamentals of rifle shooting. All ages were in attendance from 15 to 72 and rifles from 22cal to .308.  We even had several shooters that had never fired a rifle before.

Due to the weather we did not fire a shot until about noon but the shooters were not deterred. After lunch and more history we were back to shooting.  The end of the day did not show any new rifleman but many were knocking on the door and testing their limits.

Sunday morning was a cold day in Florida. It was only 2 degrees above freezing that morning.  The day started with the third strike as well as other history of our republic. It was warm in the sun so we took advantage if it. As soon as we could we were on the line reviewing everything we learned on Saturday and getting ready for our AQT.

By the end of the day 2 new riflemen were discovered and 2 shooters requalified. Also Rick stepped up and volunteered to be an instructor with Project Appleseed.

As a side note one of our shooters David, only 17 years old, went head to head with one of our instructors, Burce (9MM4545), in a shooting competition. For anybody that has ever shot with Bruce you know how difficult this is.  It was neck and neck for a long time but young David did eventually beat Bruce. David shot a 244 to Bruce's 243 on the AQT.    Outstanding work!

Thanks to all that came out this weekend. We look forward to seeing you again.

9mm4545

Muddy? Wet? Cold? Windy? Absolutely! Didn't seem to bother this tough bunch of students. After David racked up the high score for the weekend you can believe that serious efforts were made to get this young man into an orange hat. "Not yet" is better than "never". We will persist. This place has the potential of becoming my newest favorite range and I plan on making this a regular stop along the Appleseed trail. Great weekend with some truly wonderful people.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Kinetic Energy

This was a great group of people who endured though the wet and the cold, and showed what they were made of.

Everyone is capable of making an expert score. Practice, perseverance,  and making your rifle fit you will get you there. Practice getting into the positions at home, including the transitions. This Rifleman's yoga will stretch those muscles and improve overall fitness, making the next event much easier.

We will be back at the range in Leesburg in June. Hope to see you there.

mmcgivney

Thanks again to Scuba Steve and the whole group of instructors and volunteers for a great weekend.  Was it soaking wet on Saturday?  You bet!   Was it super cold and windy Sunday morning?  Yes! 🥶  Did I have a great time and learn a lot ?   Absolutely

This was my 4th Appleseed and cannot wait to attend another. I had my two highest scores ever ( 192 and 193). I think I'm starting to get it ðŸ'Œ

What a great program. I tell everyone I can about it !