News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Practical Application

Started by Puttup, February 21, 2022, 12:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puttup

I've been to numerous Appleseed events; some One day, but mostly Two day courses. Usually late on Day 2, the instructors talk about taking what we've learned and applying it to longer distances, and even to hunting.

Needless to say, these past several years have been challenging on all fronts for the shooting sports. Recently, I had the opportunity to make lemonade from the current set of lemons.

My wife loves her hibiscus hedge, but so do those pesky iguanas. For my birthday, the family gave me a PCP air rifle. My wife gave me a mission: free the hedgerows from those pesky invaders.
I love the smell of mangoes 🥭 in the morning; it smells like victory.

Utilizing the lessons learned at Appleseed, I mounted a scope, set up a small range and sighted it in.  Inches, Minutes, and Clicks works every time. Once that 25 yard zero was complete, I measured the area and determined the longest shot would be about 45 yards. Time to apply those Day 2 lessons about trajectory, windage, and sight offsets.

I could go, on but don't want to end up in the weeds 😉. The shots are mostly taken Standing or Seated.  I've cleared the Standing AQT (50), but the transition to seated/prone are my weakest. Looks like I'll be getting a boatload of work on those as summer approaches.

Well, the proof is in the pudding. After several weeks of iguana eradication (yes, it's legal and encouraged where I live) we now have a wall of pink and red hibiscus 🌺.  It's the first time in years that we've been blessed with that sight.

Now, not only do I get quality trigger time focusing on NPOA & the Six steps, whenever I want; my wife actually encourages me to do it more often. Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!

Thank you to all the instructors & volunteers who have kept Appleseed alive and growing. The message is clear; and lessons have been learned.

May God bless you, and The United States of America 🇺🇸

The Cornerstone of a Nation, its men, their families and the community.

Working tools of a Rifleman: Steady Hold Factors, Six Steps in Firing the Shot, NPOA.

I am a Traveling Man

ScubaSteve

Outstanding! It is always great to hear when we are able to apply our skills.

Now you know we do have at least two KD events coming up in Florida this year.   We will be seeing you at one of them, right?   I know you can make that same shot with a Center fire rifle but it always fun to show others.   :)

Not Sure

Iguana hunting in my backyard led me to attend my first Applseed back in 2019.  I needed to be sure I was able to make one shot kills to not violate animal cruelty laws because I had a few neighbors who liked the iguanas (they have since changed their minds about the iguanas).    I also wanted to make sure I wouldn't be sending pellets randomly around the neighborhood.

I came home with a whole lot more.

JustKim

ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Ramblin' Wreck

I've heard iguanas taste a lot like chicken, or spotted owls.  ;D
Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Guntuckian

"Chicken of the Trees" is what they are sometimes called in Florida!
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Charles McKinley

Puttup,

Congratulations! So, what PCP did you get?  Hand pump or compressor?  Will there be a neighborhood bar-be-que to celebrate?
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Puttup

Consolidated responses below:

ScubaSteve; Challenge accepted.  You were kind enough to let me shoot the Steel AQT last time,  A Rifleman preserves: just when I thought my cup was full, you provided a bigger cup. Teachable attitude in place. Not the rest can follow.

Not Sure: know your target and what's beyond it, is the largest determining factor in pulling the trigger.

Rambling' Wreck & Guntuckian: Spotted owl 🦉 way better 😉.  Never tried to eat them before, but see next responses.

Charles McKinley: Gamo Urban 22, hand pump, JBS Diabolo Exact Jumbo pellets. Let's break bread at the KD, BBQ Iguana on me 😎

Thanks for all the comments.
The Cornerstone of a Nation, its men, their families and the community.

Working tools of a Rifleman: Steady Hold Factors, Six Steps in Firing the Shot, NPOA.

I am a Traveling Man

Not Sure

I have found the refurbished Daisy 853s sold by the CMP to be very effective in keeping the iguanas under control. I added a scope to extend my range and a TKO22 moderator to be discrete.  It's meant for entry level 10m matches, but I've taken iguanas out to 50 yards with it (lots of holdover).

This of course led to acquiring bigger and better toys such as a Benjamin Marauder in .22 and an Air Arms EV2.  Both are overkill as far as the $$ involved to get rid of big lizards, but they fun to have.