News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We've lost one of our own - Super Trooper - update in OP - it's worse

Started by ITB, December 09, 2021, 02:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

All,

It is with great sadness that I have to inform everyone that Terrell Reber, aka Super Trooper, passed away on November 30th, 2021.  He was one of our Shoot Bosses, and had been an instructor since 2017.  He will be greatly missed.

Terrell was 43 years old, and is survived by his wife, Tracie, and teenage son Tyler.

Terrell took the Orange hat in May of 2017, earned his Red Hat in early 2018, and earned his Green Hat in 2019.  He instructed a total of 30 shoots over his Appleseed career.

Terrell was an avid shooter, and an accomplished pistol shooter and instructor. 

Terrell was a huge fan of Star Wars, and actually had a business manufacturing Storm Trooper costumes.  He would travel the country attending SciFi conventions to show off his products.

Here is Terrell, on the right, receiving his Distinguished patch from yours truly, for shooting a 240.  I told him he need to try harder if he was going to get that 250 patch.

Rest in Peace, my friend.  Have a beer at the Buckman Tavern with Paul and Sam, and keep a bar stool warm for me.

UPDATE, 12/17:

Unfortunately, I have to share more terrible news....I just can't wrap my brain around this...

Terrell's wife, Tracie, passed away on 12/15. 

We will be getting more information in the next few days.  Please say a prayer for their son, Tyler, age 16, who has now lost both his parents in the span of two weeks.  We will be posting information shortly where/how to make dontations for Tyler's continuing education.

Tracie Reber obituary
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Superheat

I'm shocked... Terrell was 'SuperTrooper'... Healthy.

We lost a good good man. 

Maybe I can gather my thoughts later.

:F

devilkitty

That's one hell of a loss; he will be missed.

Not much else I can say that isn't a platitude.
Charlie
Grovertown, Ind.

Have Blue Hat -- Will Travel
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -- Thomas Pynchon
"A people who forget who they are will become whatever they are told they are." -- Graywolf

number6

He will be missed by all those he taught and told the history to.

His story of James Armistead Lafayette will not be forgotten by any who heard it.

number6
You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

Maximum Ordinate

It's always terrible to lose a brother in Liberty, but Terrell was so young.   :(

Prayers for the family he left behind. 
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

BeeFree

I'm stunned.  And very sad.  He will be missed by his shooting students, and by everyone he worked a shoot with.  Is there something we can do for Tracie and Tyler?  Will there be a funeral/memorial service? 
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

number6

You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

JustKim

So sorry to hear this news.  Prayers to his family.  Let us know if there is anything that us Appleseeders can do for his family.
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Miki

I can barely see to type through my tears. I'm shocked and stunned. Love and prayers to his family.

MI-copperhead

Stunned and saddened by this news. He was way too young. He was one of the HBC instructors who made a difference in my approach to telling history. A huge loss for the Michigan cadre. Rest in peace brother.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Oz

Well, that hurts.  He's too young to lose, too much still in front of him. 

Terrell stood out as an energetic and effective instructor in his first appearance as an orange hat at the 2017 IBC.  So much potential, he looked to be a shoo-in to make IT quickly, and SB, and he did. 

Apart from IBCs, I only worked with him once, at a KD in Dorr, in November 2019, and it was a pleasure. 

I'm also glad that he, Steel Thunder, and I went to the National Matches at Camp Perry in 2018.  A few days sharing a condo, a firing line, and brisket is a good way to get to know someone.  Plus that's where I found out that he had one of the coolest jobs ever.  I'd quietly thought that once I was done sending checks to college, I'd like to be a customer of his.

So...my rifle data book has been missing since that trip to Camp Perry...I've torn the house apart for 3 years.  Partway through writing this note, I walked into a room, looked at a rubbermaid container on the bottom of a stack, frowned, rifled into it...and there it was.  Thanks for the steer, buddy.

Terrell is back row, second red hat from left in the attached photo from November 2019. 

Thanks for sharing the trail.  All courses part to westward; rest easy, we'll catch up after our watch. 
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Cadence

WOW. Just saw this thread and it hit me me like a ton of bricks.

I never worked an event with him but spoke with him on several occasions at Michigan IBC's and at the NRA convention in Indianapolis a few years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed talking with him and his great sense of humor. he will be missed.  :'(
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

ITB

Quote from: BeeFree on December 09, 2021, 03:59:48 PM
I'm stunned.  And very sad.  He will be missed by his shooting students, and by everyone he worked a shoot with.  Is there something we can do for Tracie and Tyler?  Will there be a funeral/memorial service?

The family is having a private memorial.  We will have something set up for the IBC, for folks to make donations, etc.

Click here for obituary
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

T. WOLF

I am torn up. This is horrible. I do not understand why the Universe felt it was better off without Super Trooper in it.  I am angry at God right now. F&UC% THIS OUTCOME!

Terrell was a natural role model.  He did everything by the books, and he made sure the books were accessible and meaningful to everyone else too. He inspired faith in the people who worked with him.

My PCI was very challenging - Trooper maintained high standards for our Instructor development program, and that is an admirable legacy. He was never willing to sacrifice our integrity or offer shortcuts to 'sunshine patriots'.  Super Trooper was not afraid to educate his teammates when it came to Instructor protocol and American history.  Regardless of the day or the event, I always left smarter than I arrived. Terrell established a very clear precedent for how seriously we take Project Appleseed here in Michigan, and I will forever recognize and celebrate the line he drew in the sand.  I will forever strive to live up to his standards.

I am working on a deeper tribute album, because I have a lot of photos in my archives -. but if anyone just wants to witness this man being the best Shoot Boss an IIT could ever ask for....here is Super Trooper in his element

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xyTeeUA8agHaYaEn6

My heart is broken. He was such a good man.

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

T. WOLF

I'm still pulling the pictures together... too much crying.  He was a distinguished Rifleman.

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

T. WOLF

Heaven: "Incoming craft, identify yourself!"

Terrell: https://youtu.be/2qf2OlsOV3c

Heaven: "Are you a Jedi?"

Terrell: https://youtu.be/9eV4vTtCYNs

Heaven: "Open the doors."

Alright, pal - it's time to go.  Don't be afraid!  Thank you for everything!!

May the Force be with you!!!

T. WOLF

Do, or Do Not.  There is no "try"

Tick Wrangler

A man doing what he loved and making a difference doing it.

Rest in peace brother, until we meet again.
"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

T. WOLF

I am assembling a memorial photo album for our brother Terrell.  I would like to invite others to add their photos to this album. 

Many memories were shared with Super Trooper, but so far this album is only reflecting my own memories.  Please contribute if you can:

SUPER TROOPER!

I believe I have configured the Google Photo settings so that others can add their photos at-will.  If anyone is struggling with that effort please let me know.  For those of you who would rather not muck around with Google, you are welcome to forward me your photographs of Terrell in another channel and I will add them for you.

I am also inviting the entire MI Cadre and anyone who crossed paths with Trooper on the Appleseed trail to share their personal anecdotes, reflections, or admirations of this man and his contributions to our mission.  You can post those remarks here, you can message me privately, you can email me at traviswolf@gmail.com or call me at 248-259-9296 if you just wanna talk. We are assembling a proper In Memoriam tribute for our good friend, and he impacted many lives.

ITB

Bump for update in original post.

Please say a prayer for Tyler.

Mrs. Smith

Oh, no  :'(  that poor boy.

Let me know if there's anything I can do, Bill. What a shock that must be.... I didn't even know them and I'm just heartsick. I can't imagine what you all must be going through.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Charles McKinley

Prayers for their boy.  Please let us know what else we can do.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

MadHatter

SuperTrooper and Tracie will be greatly missed, but words are failing me. My deepest condolences go out to Tyler.
"Glove up!" Wizard
"Those who stand for nothing fall for everything." Alexander Hamilton

Captain America

My heart goes out to the young man left behind. I will be praying for Tyler, and also listening for ways that we can help and support him.  We all know that we are not called to do what is easy or convenient. We are called to be men and women of action. We can honor Super Trooper by looking out for Tyler.  This is Posterity. Super Trooper might have even said, "This is the way".

ThreadNLead "TL"

Super Trooper was at my very first event. I remembered him (aside from SB Superheat, and Mr. Surplus) because he helped me the most that weekend. I didn't know what I was doing, and he made me feel like that was ok. I wasn't just some dumb girl who didn't know anything about her AR. (which is what I feared at the time.) He was a fantastic instructor, and became a wonderful friend. The world didn't just lose one patriot, but 2. And it won't be the same without them...

Tyler is a fantastic young man. I am fortunate to know him a little more personally than (probably??) a lot of instructors. (just guessing)
Terrell was a close friend of mine, and Josh and I spent a lot of time over at their house with the whole family. Tyler would sit in the living room and be part of the "adult conversations" happening. He is so intelligent, thoughtful, and caring. He is a leader in his own way, and a quiet contemplative young man at the same time. He is strong. But he is young. I hope with 8 Instructors (that I know of) attending his mother's funeral yesterday, he really sees that his dad's Appleseed family includes him as well. I know I'll do my part to make sure he knows that he has a family here, that would do anything in their power for him. He only needs to ask. (And maybe we can all keep an eye out for when he doesn't ask. ;) ) My heart breaks over my own loss of Super Trooper, and now Tracie too. I can't even begin to imagine his heart's pain, if mine is so great. I'm praying for him. As I know many people are. Tyler knows very well, what he is about. I credit it to his parents. They instilled in him sound morals and a patriotic spirit. His parents are leaving behind their posterity, OUR posterity, and it is up to us, his Appleseed Family, to make sure it continues, and to take care of our own.

If anyone wants to make a money donation, you can message me for my paypal/venmo info.
I believe an official memorial/donation is being set up soon, but until then, I can make sure he gets whatever you guys want to give. A card, money, a care package, etc... Just message me or better yet, text me! 810-278-6102

May God Bless Tyler. We love you!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23