News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pilgrimage to Battle Road

Started by Jayhawker, November 28, 2021, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayhawker

We toured Battle Road (from Arlington to Concord) this long holiday weekend. It was cold. The visitors center was closed for the winter. We had full access to the grounds. There were plaques and large plastic photo displays with maps, pictures and text explaining a lot of it. The training grounds were not marked on any map, but there was a picture of an engraved stone marking the training grounds on one of the plastique displays.

I had David Fischer's book with the map, so was able to triangulated from the Old North Bridge and Major Buttrick's house to find the stone.

Attached is the view of the Old North Bridge from the training grounds and a picture of the Powderhouse.

It was late in the day when we got to Concord. The light for a picture of the statue of Isaac Davis, where he fell, would be best in the morning.

The other picture is of his backside. Across the bridge the, obelisque is were the regulars were lined up. We all estimated that the two were right at 50 yards apart.

Pine Ridge Puma

Cool!  I'm wondering if there were fewer trees back in 1775?  Surely those leaf trees are youngsters and could not be from that era...
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them,  and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

Jayhawker

Capt. Parker's statue is at Lexington Green. I have an Appleseed sweatshirt that has an image of this statue on the back.

I don't know about the green itself, but Buckman Tavern (across the street) is a museum operated by the Lexington Historical Society. In their gift shop they sell lots of things associated with the site. I picked up another copy of David Fischer's book there, and a Betsy Ross flag pin. I wondered why there wasn't a stack of cloth Battle Road patches in the display case.

cornhskr

I just did this same hike at the beginning of the month.  The weather was superb.  So much to see.  I finally have my pictures in order and will do a thread.  Lot's to see. 

The Wolfhound

Walking the ground makes so much difference in your understanding of the events.  I was blessed to do that in 2016.  Here was my report from that week: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=48320.0

misawa

Quote from: The Wolfhound on November 29, 2021, 08:50:07 AM
Walking the ground makes so much difference in your understanding of the events. 
This is very true.  There is something about walking on the green and crossing the north bridge that still brings chill bumps to me.

TOMINCT

Nice report. It's been more than few years since I've been there.

Was there a local doing a short guided tour of the green? I ask as there was one the last time and they were pretty good on what happened on the green. Took about 15 mins IIRC.

I asked where the hill was where Percy had positioned his cannon and he pointed out a small rise a short distance away, maybe 15' high.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Quinncannon

"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

desert_diver

If I recall correctly from my visit a few years back, there were many fewer trees than present today.  Some large trees were left in fields to provide shade for cattle

This link http://npshistory.com/publications/mima/parkers-revenge-archaeology.pdf is to a detailed report of an archaeological excavation of the site of Parker's Revenge.  Some of it is rather dry, but overall the report is interesting.