News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua, OH Pistol Clinic November 13-14, 2021 AAR

Started by Shep, November 17, 2021, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

The November 2021 Pistol Clinic at the Piqua Fish and Game will long be remembered by all who attended. Friday evening rain created an annoying mud puddle between the equipment and firing lines forcing a few extra mucky steps for each approach. Breezy winds, heavy cloud cover and temperatures in the thirties certainly kept shooters from overheating on Saturday.  However, we were well aware that Saturday's weather was to be far better than what we faced on the coming day, so we pressed on and covered all the basic information and pistol drills throughout the morning. 

All shooters had been to multiple Appleseed Rifle events, several shooters were rifle Instructors or Orange hat IIT's, so things progressed very quickly. We were able to get in eight scoring Pistol Qualification Tests (PQT's) through the afternoon with four new Pistoleer™s who shot the magic number of 210 or higher. Congratulations to Dangerous Old Lady-DOL with a 210 (Baptism postponed until warmer weather), Bryan H. shot a 220 and reconfirmed with a 214 and 216, border raiding Michigan Shoot Boss, Rangerat67 earned his patch with a 222 and reconfirmed multiple times with his highest score being 229 with iron sights. Dell A. became a Pistoleer™ with a score of 216 and reconfirmed with a 220 and 214.  Also, Jingo reconfirmed with a score of 219.  Two shooters cleared their Red Coat target that evening Congratulations to Dell and Rangerat67.  It was a busy day with each shooter sending about 450 rounds down range.

Sunday started just as the weather forecasters had predicted; temperature of about thirty degrees with snow beginning just after 9:00 AM. After the morning Red Coat and sight adjustments, Sunday morning's drills were the six steps of firing a shot in slow mode, the ball and dummy drill, and then we shot the talking target twice. Each of these drills help to point out the common shooting errors experienced on the line. By the time we began with Sunday's PQT's the snow was really coming down, coating tables and pistols. We received about two inches of snow throughout the day, which really tested equipment and shooters! We didn't have any new Pistoleer™s on Sunday, but Jeff M. reconfirmed his Pistol qualification from the July shoot with a 220.

It was a very wintery, but awesome Pistol Clinic that finished up a great year of Appleseed events at the Piqua Fish and Game.  I really can't say enough about the quality, knowledge and dedication of the instructor crew; they really are an amazing group of people! Thanks to Doc Willi, Third Degree, Naga, Shadow870, Chieflane, Griffin, and Jingo.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Photos
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Photos

Shep

Photos

Shep

Photos

Shep

Third Degree

Shep's pictures tell the story. A healthy dose of mud and snow. In spite of the weather related impediments, the Piqua Fish and Game facility was a great venue for a pistol clinic. On Sunday, a Cowboy shoot took place adjacent to our range. The folks in period dress also found ways to weather the snow storm.

Congratulations to the new and reconfirmed Pistoleer™s! Many thanks to Shep for another well run clinic. It was great to reconnect with Doc Willi, Shadow 870, Chieflane and Jingo. It was nice to meet Naga and Griffin. I look forward to working with all of you in 2022.

Rangerat67

Thank you to Shep and all the instructors for spending your weekend helping us shooters!  I had a great time, learned some new techniques for shooting pistols, and I look forward to my next pistol event. 

Thanks Again!

Rangerat67   

RetiredSFC

I'm late to respond but the pistol clinic was great.  The training and guidance got several of us shooters to earn the Pistoleer™ patch. Shep, the Green Hat ran a great range and he had knowledgable red and orange hats to keep it moving.  I want to thank all of the guys and gals who worked the shoot.  I have shot at Piqua three times (2 rifle & 1 pistol) and its has rained everytime.  So bring your rain gear and mud boots.    These guys cover the history and insure you know the basics to earn your patch.  Thanks everyone, Del.