News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL KD November 6-7 AAR

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, November 12, 2021, 08:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

Folks in the Tennessee Valley have suggested that I change my forum name from Ramblin' Wreck to Black Cloud because it seems every event I sign up to work ends up with rain. Often, a LOT of rain. The event in Myakka City was shaping up to prove them right. On the way from Tennessee to Florida on Friday, I've never seen it rain harder and I resolved myself to deal with wet feet for two days. Fortunately, the rain stopped late Friday and the range drained well enough that it didn't resemble a swamp as much as it could have.

The Manatee Gun Club is a terrific venue for KD. Because of the range layout, we had to change up the COF to do everything past 100 yards on Sunday. Therefore, all the classroom blocks and most of the history was done on Saturday with live fire at 25 and 100 yards saved for late in the day to give the range some time to dry. After instructional blocks on target detection, and trajectory, we did a sight calibration exercise and practiced what was taught on range estimation like a rifleman with just what's on your rifle. Everyone then got a chance to confirm zero and we called it a day.

For the evening meal, we gathered at the clubhouse for a pot luck supper. One of our shooters brought some brisket and there were enough side dishes that if anyone left hungry it was their own fault. "A good time was had by all" as the old southern phrase goes.

Sunday morning started off with some history and the shooters heard about the Battle of King's Mountain where Americans fought Americans. Then the shooting fun began when we separated the Riflemen from the cooks by shooting Morgan's Shingle from 250 yards. Congratulations to the 5 Patriots who joined the ranks of Morgan's Riflemen.

This event was the usual "paper KD" with a shoot-walk-shoot format. We began at 100 yards with stage 1 and gathered data at every distance before shooting the stage for score. By the end of the first AQT we had 3 new KD-qualified Riflemen with Kevin racking up a perfect 50/50 and Distinguished honors. Making good on his promise to take an orange hat if he shot 50 he asked for, and was presented with an orange hat and joined the instructor ranks. HUZZAH!
After taking over half the day on the first AQT (there's a lot of walking checking sighter holes at 400 yards  :-[ ) the next two went very quickly since there was no going down range to verify holes from stage to stage. By the end of the day 2 more shooters had qualified including the father-daughter team of John and Kiana with dad racking up the second perfect 50/50 of the event on the last AQT of the day. HUZZAH!

Thanks to a great instructor crew of ScubaSteve, BaldEagle, Navy Goat, AJ Gonzales, Maximum Ordinate and the legendary Stoneknives (a fellow thoroughlly Dangerous Old Man), the shooters got their money's worth at this event.

Thanks to shooters who came out and spent the weekend honing the rifle skills our ancestors had in abundance. I hope to see you all on the KD firing line again soon.
If I can figure out how to upload my pictures I'll add them later.  I think others on the line took some over the weekend so post 'em if you took 'em.  :pics:

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Willociraptor

Whoa! Five new additions to Morgan's Rifle Company, and a perfect 50! That must have been something to behold. Good work everyone!
:F
"Esse Quam Videri" ... to be, rather than to seem

TheMenace

Huzzah for all the great shooting! Kevin, what's the forum name I'll be seeing on TIPS signed up to work events at Palm Bay?  ;)
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9