News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hosting Shoot in Houston

Started by the_phoenix612, October 30, 2021, 11:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_phoenix612

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to lean on the braintrust here to help me figure out how to get an event off the ground.

I'm a member of a pretty active group here in Houston that brings in instructors for training events pretty much monthly. Most/all of the training events focus on CQB and personal/home defense, plus first aid training events as well. Marksmanship is a definite blind spot of the curriculum and I've been bragging on Appleseed at every event I go to.

I've gotten the club leadership interested in the idea of hosting/running an Appleseed shoot, but I've only experienced one Appleseed shoot (qualified rifleman though!) so while I would love to assist at the event, I'm not ready to fully organize one on my own.

If I can provide a range and a class full of students, is there a houston-based shoot boss who would be interested?
Rifleman - 5/15/2021
Distinguished - 12/5/2021

Mrs. Smith

Let me ping on some folks for you.  Hold that thought!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

the_phoenix612

Holding! 

My wife and I will be attending the 12/4-12/5 shoot in Kerrville, in case anyone wants to talk about it in person :)
Rifleman - 5/15/2021

Mrs. Smith

You'll have a great time in Kerrville. But I've sent your message to them that needs it  ;)
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Captain

Awesome! We do have instructors near Houston, but the truth is that if you can provide "range and class full of students", one of us would come to you, even from neighboring states!

Also, if you're interested in the Appleseed mission, contact the Shoot Boss (SB) for your upcoming shoot. The only requirements to become an Appleseed instructor in training is to attend two events and earn your Rifleman's patch! There's some minor paperwork that your SB can send you to fill out prior to the shoot. Come join us.

Contact the SB (Send a personal message to "A-Lister" via this forum)

You can also contact anyone on the forum directly by clicking on their name.

Quote from: the_phoenix612 on October 30, 2021, 11:57:30 PM
. . .

If I can provide a range and a class full of students, is there a houston-based shoot boss who would be interested?
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Mrs. Smith

Thanks, Captain, for filling in the blanks.  I've been answering on the fly from work and unable to go into detail as much as I'd have liked.

PaleRider

Mr. Phoenix (cuz you didn't sign your name  ;D,
I organize most of the shoots in San Antonio, and I will be at the shoot in Kerrville this weekend. We can talk there at some point. We have a Senior Instructor in the houston area, but we have many more here in the San Antonio area. There are some hoops we'll have to jump through with the range, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as they have a 25m bay and enough berms and space. I'm sure Mrs. Smith has contacted Whitepaladin on this. He's our state coordinator, but he will not be at the Kerrville event.
See you there!
Tim
Palerider
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Mrs. Smith

Actually, I pinged Ghostring directly, since it's his backyard.

the_phoenix612

Quote from: PaleRider on November 01, 2021, 09:34:57 AM
I organize most of the shoots in San Antonio, and I will be at the shoot in Kerrville this weekend. We can talk there at some point. We have a Senior Instructor in the houston area, but we have many more here in the San Antonio area. There are some hoops we'll have to jump through with the range, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as they have a 25m bay and enough berms and space. I'm sure Mrs. Smith has contacted Whitepaladin on this. He's our state coordinator, but he will not be at the Kerrville event.
See you there!
Tim
Palerider

Ha!  My name is Chris, and my wife's name is Kat. 

To be clear -- we are coming to the December Kerrville event, not the one this weekend.  We have a friend's wedding this weekend -- very happy for them but very upset about missing the A&M-Auburn game!
Rifleman - 5/15/2021

Ghostring

Chris,

Whoop!! We'd simply LOVE to have an event at your range! I work near 10 and Hwy 6, so just a little ways from Katy.
Let's get together and set a date. There's a range app that we'll work on together, and we can talk scheduling.

Jim

Quote from: the_phoenix612 on November 01, 2021, 11:34:53 AM
Quote from: PaleRider on November 01, 2021, 09:34:57 AM
See you there!
Tim
Palerider

Ha!  My name is Chris, and my wife's name is Kat. 

To be clear -- we are coming to the December Kerrville event, not the one this weekend.  We have a friend's wedding this weekend -- very happy for them but very upset about missing the A&M-Auburn game!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman