News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wilmington, OH 16-17 October, 2021 CCFSA AAR

Started by Longrifleman, October 18, 2021, 11:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longrifleman

HUZZAH!

Have you ever been to one of those Appleseeds where a couple of shooters decide they're gonna set the pace and make everyone else play catch-up all weekend on the very first Redcoat target? You know- where the groups are so good by just about every shooter BEFORE you even get out the cat-o-nine-tails and begin the floggings?

Well, Good 'Ole Bay 7 at the venerable Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen Association was the site of just that kind of event! We had 20 shooters get off the couch and dang near half of them posted scores better than 210 and you know what that means! RIFLEMEN! And plenty of 'em!

Ben's first Redcoat dropped like a spaghetti western villain and Michelle casually matched him for a pair of opening volleys that really did set the pace. By the end of Saturday we shot one good AQT and had 2 new Riflemen. Matt H. cranked out a 211 on his first try and Ben lit it up with a 225! Add in Robert's 225 re-qualification and we put day one in the record books. Oh, but let's not forget Ben and Michelle clearing the late Redcoat.

Sunday was even more impressive, and we almost ran out of patches! Ben, Jerry and Michelle dropped a trio of Reddies to start us off. We still can't decide if Karli was just sand-bagging us when she said she hasn't shot a rifle since she was 8 and then drilled a 213 on AQT #2 and when we said there was a little scoring issue she just slung-up and posted a 212 just to make sure we had no doubts. Brad strolled in and racked up a sweet 215 for his first followed closely by 3 re-quals, Michael H at 219, Michelle at 212, and Nolan at 220.

Not to be out done Greg waited until the last minute before blasting out a 220 on the final AQT to make it FIVE new and FOUR requalifying Riflemen out of 20 shooters! Now that's one for the record books!

And there were so many that were knocking on the door and just ran out of time! Jake- you were on our list of rock solid shooters as were Dana, Mike, and Dustin. Joe and Bryan were a blast to have and Richard and Vickie's persistence was a model for Riflemen everywhere! Mike and Tom made us proud and we're sure will make it back to try again.

Overall a fantastic Appleseed and a great experience. Thanks to all our shooters and our corps of instructors for one to remember and don't forget to bring a couch potato to the next one with ya!
Do thou Great LIBERTY inspire our Souls- And make our Lives in thy Possession happy- Or, our Deaths glorious in thy just Defense.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword because the whole body of the people are armed"- Noah Webster A.D.1787

". . . They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons,
that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and
delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings
said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
"The Gods of the Copybook Headings,". Rudyard Kipling A.D.1919

HammBone

The time monkey made his presence known all weekend but we fought him tooth and nail. Everyone voted to stay late on Saturday just to spite him.

Did Jeff mention the weather? It was GLORIOUS and what I like to call Goldilocks Weather. And if you've never driven to CCFSA on route 350 from Lebanon, you have missed one of Ohio's finest drives.

I was very impressed by all the shooters. The one that really stuck out for me was Jerry and his never say die attitude. Due to some physical ailments, we classified him as "adaptive" and made changes to allow him to shoot comfortably and safely. He was our first arrival on Sunday and in the afternoon casually handed over an AQT with ten 30-cal sized holes, one in each silhouette ; the perfect 250 target. But he would not take a patch as he felt he didn't really qualify. He did in my book!

I had a wonderful time at Bay 7 and enjoyed our top rung instructor crew: Longrifleman, Redleg, Goodoldfriend, Griffin, Naga, and Owl1. Top shelf Americans all.

I have added a shot of me and Ben after his first Redcoat and a few other randoms.
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

REDNINE

Enjoyed the weekend very much. Thanks again to all the instructors. I'll be back! >Jake<

Corvette

Jake, Glad you enjoyed the weekend and when you come back, bring a friend and/or other family with you.  The more that hear the message the better. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

starbuck82

Thanks again to all the volunteers.  It was great to see everyone again and we all three finally showed Longrifleman we could qualify at the same event.  Last October I let him down.  I could feel his presence walk up durring my last AQT and just couldn't put it together.  I was very impressed with the couple shooting next to us.  I hope I can still load up the muskets and get after it when I'm their age.

WestVirginiaFriar

A Big Thank You to everyone that brought this event together, and especially to the very patient instructors that helped me through the weekend.   :)

shotcalla

This was my first appleseed and I had a blast.  I was very impressed with all the instructors and could not have earned my riflemen patch without Longrifleman, Redleg, Naga and Hammbone all spending time on sling positioning and trigger control with me.   I was also very humbled the second day but learned some lessons that should serve me well in future events.  I plan on taking my girls to an Appleseed in the future and have already told others about what a great organization it is.  I also really appreciated the custom Ohio patch that Hammbone presented to me for clearing the redcoats!

Thanks again and I hope to see you all at future events. 

Ben

Corvette

shotcalla,

Clearing a Red Coat is a great accomplishment.  It shows you have the skills of our founders. Please come join us again and bring friends and family.  Liberty is precious and is worth saving.  So glad that you had a great event.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

RedLeg

Additional photos of some find shooters and instructors. What a glorious way to spend an October weekend!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it." - John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 26 April 1777

Charley