News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Full Distance KD, Dorr, MI, October 16-17, 2021

Started by SteelThunder, October 18, 2021, 10:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

It was the best of weather, it was the worst of weather.  Actually, Sunday was beautiful and Saturday wasn't awful.  Great time with 9 fantastic Americans!  We had a great time getting to know each other, learning about some Rifleman history (following the life of Daniel Morgan) and learning about our rifles shooting out to 400M and beyond.

Congratulations to Bill and Rod for scoring full distance Rifleman.  Great job to Jay, Earl, Greg, Ethan, Prosper, Mike and William on great improvement, good humor and great cooperation.  It was a blast to see you embrace the instruction, absorb the history, take on our ranging exercise (Great job Teams 1 and 3 for the win and the FABULOUS PRIZES).  Our 500 meter shoot on the steel and balloons was great...having 5 308s on the line really made it easy to see those hits!

Congrats to Cheri and Rob for taking a Blue Hat and Orange Hat respectively.  See you on the trail!

Can't wait for next year.  Your instructor crew (SteelThunder, Fidget, Oz, ITB, cheriesgeek, jayshoneybunny) thank you!   
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Geek

It was a great weekend at the beach  ::)  I could not have hoped for a friendlier or more knowledgeable team of instructors.  It was an honor to be on your firing line.   :bow: Congrats to both ITB and Iceman for showing the rest of us how it is done. You are my inspiration to persevere.  I was pretty nervous being the first shooter at the shingle on Sunday morning.  I was relieved that I had one good shot in me to start the day by ringing the steel at 300.  My personal high point was taking all of this instruction and applying it to a different gun in different caliber and ringing the steel at 500.  For me, that moment was worth the price of admission and hours of driving.

A couple for special items:
- Congratulations to Steel Thunder on his 75th event pin he got.  We had a bit of a party for you. 
- A special thanks to fidget for the applecore 'on-the-job' training.  It is greatly appreciated
- Iceman and jayshoneybunny, volunteering to help this great organization is both a testament to the group at this event and proof the appleseed message is getting heard
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

Corvette

Well done all, taking it out to distance is an important step to becoming a true Rifleman.  Huzzah!!! to all.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Geek

Without pictures, it never happened....

We really did have a party for Steel to celebrate his 75th shoot.  :partytime:  the balloons later became 500 yd targets.

I also got a pic of the flag standard Fidget installed at the range.  If you have not been to South Kent Sportsman's Club, you are missing out on a great place.  A special thank you to that club for allowing us to use the range.
"That gallant officer is General Fraser. I admire him, but it is necessary that he should die. Do your duty."  - Morgan's orders to Timothy Murphy at the Second Battle of Saratoga 1777, Oct 7

Our cause is just . . . our country will be grateful - George Rogers Clark

"This country has been made by the Timothy Murphys, the men in the ranks. Conditions here called for qualities of heart and hand that Tim Murphy had in abundance. Our histories should tell us more about the men in the ranks, for it was to them, more than to the generals that we were indebted for our military victories." -  Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as New York Governor, 1929, at the dedication of the memorial to Murphy

MI-copperhead

I was only able to attend the Sunday part of the KD due to a prior commitment but it was definitely the pick day of the weekend. It was a great day of shooting and camaraderie. Congratulations to Rod (Iceman) on earnings his KD rocker with 43 hits and then stepping up and taking an Orange Hat! Congratulations also to Cheri (jayshunnybunny) on joining her husband as a Blue Hat!
One of the highlights of my weekend was hitting the 300 yard Morgan's shingle  cold bore on Sunday morning as well as hitting steel at 500. I definitely would have made better use of my time figuring out my POA/POI issue after the first first AQT instead of continuing to hammer away on the grind but it is a lesson learned . Jay did a great job with Timothy Murphy as did Steele with his Over the mountain men history. It was a great day with great people and it doesn't get much better than that.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Captwillie

We had a great time with the shooting and the history! 
Thanks all!
Ethan hooked someone else's ear muffs to our gear bag, pls let me know so we can get them back to you.

The Iceman

Thanks to everyone for a great event. I'm glad I dressed for the occasion. Looking forward to becoming an instructor and getting more involved over the coming months.

First Appleseed - Dorr, MI, July 24-25, 2021 - Rifleman
Second KD Appleseed - Dorr, MI, Oct 16-17, 2021 - Rifleman KD

The Iceman

Sorry about the image issue. I would fix it, but I still don't have the ability to edit my posts. Trying to attach them again to this post.

First Appleseed - Dorr, MI, July 24-25, 2021 - Rifleman
Second KD Appleseed - Dorr, MI, Oct 16-17, 2021 - Rifleman KD

Fidget

What a great event!

Bill great job requalifying! It was fun trying out your rifle, thank you!
William & Earl all athletes have off days. Golfers will win a major tournament one day then a week later totally bomb the next tournament. So you will have this next time! 😊
Jay it was great meeting you! Love having AC at the event! Thank you for showing me some history books I didn't have!
Rod I am so excited to have you join the cadre hope your schedule clears up and we can see you more! (Great job on scoring rifleman!)
Mike it was great seeing you again!
Prosper you have grown up so much since the last event I saw you at! Hope to see you at more events!
Greg & Ethan I had no idea Mini-14 rounds could fly across 5 bays! 😊 You both have this, practice consistently doing the 6 steps of firing the shot. Make sure to consistently sling up the same way every time! Dry fire practice this and I cannot wait to see you score rifleman next time!

New Hats

:partytime: Old Hats - Happy 75th Event!  :partytime:

Rifleman

Event Images

Most of my books are here: https://www.librarycat.org/lib/bflysmile