News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Marengo, Ohio 10-9&10-2021

Started by Corvette, October 11, 2021, 12:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Well, another great Appleseed is in the books at Cardinal Shooting Center near Marengo, Ohio. We had 17 shooters arrive ready to work on their skills.  This included a nice mix of new folks and returning shooters including a large number of female and youth shooters.   

We started the weekend with a welcome, introduction to the goals of RWVA and Project Appleseed, and our normal safety briefing.  This was followed by bringing rifles to the line and we started the event with the Sat morning Red Coat. 
Results were typical.  We had 6 of 17 shooters put three rounds in the 100 yd target, 6 @ 200, 4 @ 300, 1 @ 400, 1 joined Daniel Morgan and we had no cleared Red Coats.

We moved to the points of instruction (POI).  The steady hold factors in prone were presented followed by the six steps and NPOA.  Related drills were shot after each POI and we then shot sighting groups in anticipation of IMC which was presented at lunch on Saturday.

We returned to the line after lunch for sight adjustments and confirmation groups.  We moved on to the steady hold in seated with related drills. The First Strike was presented at the afternoon break and we returned to the line for steady hold factors in standing.

The day ended with our afternoon Red Coat.  Much improvement was demonstrated.

We had 15 of 17 at 100, 9 at 200, 7 @ 300, 6 @ 400, 8 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 3 cleared Red Coats. Congrats to Tom, Hayden, Mike and Brandon.  Wow, what a bunch of shooters.

The Second Strike was presented by Cadence and the Third Strike was presented by Corvette at the end of the day with a following call to action. We closed out the day with advice on how to prep for Sunday.

Sunday dawned cool and windy.  The wind played havoc with our target line all day.  Thank God for zip ties, para-cord and additional target stakes which allowed us to keep the line serviceable. The Sunday morning Red Coat showed similar results to Saturday afternoon.  We had 14 of 18 shooters at 100, 11 at 200, 6 at 300, 4 at 400, and 7 joined Daniel Morgan.  Two folks cleared the Red Coat.  Congrats to Josh and Brandon.   

We followed the Red Coat with an NPOA drill and then moved on to the AQT grind. 

We shot two AQT's on Sunday morning.  The skills of the shooters showed up right from the start.  We broke for lunch and presented the KD lecture.  Back on the line in the afternoon we shot 3 more AQT's. The skills of the shooters were evident. 
We had a total of 6 qualifying scores.  What a great group of shooters:

Hayden (New):  214, 214 (Youth shooter, 14 years old, first Appleseed and first AQT, Huzzah!)
Mike (New):  213,214
Josh (New):  213, 221
Tom (Requal):  224 (high score of the weekend)

Aliquippa presented a Dangerous Dame (Betty Zane) and the DOM's were presented throughout the afternoon. We ended the day with the Sunday Red Coat.  There were 18 shooters on the line for the Sunday afternoon Red Coat.  Results were outstanding.  We had 14 of 18 at 100, 11 at 200, 6 at 300, 4 at 400, 9 joined Daniel Morgan (Huzzah!!!) and we had 2 more cleared Red Coats.  Congrats to Josh and Jeff, well done gentlemen.

We officially closed the event with another call to action and a challenge for all to get involved in their communities.   My thanks to the shooters for having a safe event and my thanks to Aliquippa, Cadence, Meadow, Naga, and Manik for helping with the event.   And, our thanks again to Cardinal Shooting Center for hosting our event. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Manik

Thank you everyone that came out, volunteers and participants alike!  Aside from the manure spreader adding it's own flare to the ambience, the weather was good and the people were great!  I can't ask for much more.

To all who attended:  A dark red/maroon and gray Member's Mark folding chair was left behind.  I have it with me so, if you are the owner or know who the owner of the missing chair is please respond this AAR and we can get in contact to arrange shipping.

Bubbles

This was my third Appleseed event. My first was in June 2020, and I must say, I was highly impressed with the level of instruction provided - it keeps me coming back. I can't think of anywhere else in the country where you can receive commensurate marksmanship and heritage training (without enlisting for 4 years!). What's even more astounding is that they are all volunteers! The Appleseed Project does an outstanding job selecting and cultivating instructors who go out and provide professional instruction no matter the shooter's level of experience.

We are very fortunate in Ohio to have the level of effort put in by the Shoot Boss (Corvette) and the cadre of Ohio instructors. If you notice, no other state, asides from maybe Texas, offers as many opportunities to attend the various forms of an Appleseed event. I've attended 3 events all at different locations that were within one hour of driving distance.

It was extremely satisfying to see so many youth and female shooters at this past event - diversity is a great thing! If I recall, the first AQT high scorer was a young lady who was just 14 years old! That's a testament to her ability to digest and apply a large amount of information in a short period of time and the instructors' ability to relay that information. The young man next to me all weekend also posted smaller and smaller groups as the weekend progressed. He was scoring in that marksman/sharpshooter range - well on his way to Rifleman.

Finally (and as usual), the storytelling/heritage was intriguing. My favorite was Aliquippa's brief on Betty Zane.

Corvette

Bubbles,

Thank you for the kind comments.  We work very hard to provide a great experience for all our shooters, no matter their skill level. Please share your experiences with friends and come join us again. 

Corvette

Cadence

Another great event at the Cardinal Shooting Center outside of Marengo, OH is in the books. I knew we were in for special weekend when shooters were arriving Saturday morning, an hour before the start time, eager to get started on the road to marksmanship.

A good mix of returning, new and youth shooters filled the sold out event.

Congratulations to our new riflemen Tom and Josh. A special shout out to Hayden who shot the score of 214 on the first AQT on Sunday at her first Appleseed event. She also followed up with a second score.

Thanks to Aliquippa, Meadow, Naga, and Manik for coming out and helping with the event. We were initially a little short on help for the number of shooters.  Big thanks to our Shoot Boss Corvette for another safe event.

Also, thanks to Cardinal Shooting Center for allowing us to use their facility to host our event.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams