News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

7th stepping opportunity VFW lewisville TX August 28th

Started by KProctor, June 25, 2021, 12:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KProctor

Hey everyone, I got offered a interesting opportunity  to spread our program and hopefully draw in some new shooters. The VFW in lewisville is hosting a grand opening party at the end of August with vendors, food, raffles, the works. The coordinator reached out and asked if I would be interested in settling up an appleseed table  to promote the program. I said I'd be interested but I'm not a state coordinator and haven't done any promotion work outside of social media. From what I've been told there is no fee to set up a table or donations of any kind required from the VFW. Additionally you do not need to be a veteran to attend the event.

So I'm putting it out here, would any instructors or IITs be interested in putting up a table? Is there some hoops on the appleseed side I need to be jumping through in order to get this event approved from the state coordinators?

As of right now with my workload I'm scheduled to return back to work on the  August 26th, im trying to offset that which shouldnt be a major deal. But right now I can 90% commit to working the event.

Link here https://fb.me/e/1w4EYpwwF
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

AF5US

Kevin! Buddy!

Sounds like a great opportunity.  I've done some of these in the past; I think I can get us a head start on ideas here.  It would be very beneficial if the VFW could give us an approximate number of expected attendees.

This appears to be a 12-hour event, which is fine - but I'm also working a Project Appleseed event the weekend before, and I have to be out of town the weekend after.  I would be willing to help with setup & to work a shift, but I'd like to share the workload here.

Off the top of my head, here are my initial recommendations:

• Table with table cloth
  • Giveaway: Trifold brochures
  • Giveaway: Red Coat Targets (I have plenty)
  • Giveaway for children: Appleseed Stickers (I have some)
  • Giveaway for children: Appleseed temporary tattoos (I have some)
  • Possible giveaway: Chamber flags (We might discuss getting a special supply for the event)
  • Laptop to play "Appleseed in 60 Seconds" on loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBVOy-WAAvs
  • Laptop to sign people up for events
  • Visual Aid: Rifleman Patch
  • Visual Aid: Squares target / AQT target / KD Target
  • Visual Aid: Map of the 3 Strikes (We could use mine)
  • Visual Aid: Dummy rifle
  • Visual Aid: Brown Bess Replica (You and I know where we can borrow one)
  • Visual Aid: Historical Flags (We could use mine) (Volunteers should be able to briefly describe the significance of the flag)
  • Volunteer prep: Each volunteer should be ready with a 30-second elevator speech about the program.  If / when this generates interest, be prepared to dive deeper into an overview of SHF, NPOA, the 6 steps etc.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

WhitePaladin

Kevin,

Oops.  I didn't see this post until now.  Scheduling it isn't too difficult.  Usually, we'd set it up as a Liberty Seed on the site.  Give me a call on my cell and let's see what we can set up. 

Jason got most of the items we'll need covered.  Let's talk and we can coordinate on the logistics.  I can order a shoot box with the promotional items we'll need. 

I would suggest adding some "challenge targets".  Those are usually a hit, and go over pretty well.  They're one page letter sized targets that people can take a crack at on their own time. 

-Chris

KProctor

I'll reach out and try to get anticipated numbers, I was wondering if there's a possibility of having a raffle to give a way a pair of tickets to an event. Has this been done prior? As for the shift work, once I can confirm an extension from work I can commit to the whole day so I can put up and tear down display. Jason's local to me so I can pick up supplies. I'm excited for this I've never done a liberty seed before
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

KProctor

Just talked with the guy, set up will be around 1230 pm. Tear down is whenever we feel like it so I'm thinking between 5pm and 7pm. They are anticipating between 3-400 people in attendance so it should be a great publicity event. That is alot of targets to hanf out though.
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

KProctor

Circling back on this as its two weeks out, I've confirmed the event is still a go for the venue, still happy to have any and all volunteers to help with talking and promoting the shoots.

Currently the event will mainly be outdoors due to the 300+ people in attendance, there will be food vendors as well as raffles.

Speaking of which is there a way to donate  some appleseed passes to a shoot for the raffle? Or possibly have some drawing on our own? Might be a good way to generate interest.

The setup will be at 1230pm event opens at 1pm and can go pretty much until midnight, I don't think thats entirely necessary and I was thinking we tear down around 530-7pm at the latest depending on foot traffic.

I'm gonna email our state coordinator because I only have about 12 trifold on hand.

Open to comments suggestions and fun puns if you got them
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

BillJac

I don't see a signup for this in TIPs.  What do you have for help at this point?
You aren't pro 2A if you only want guns for people who look and think like you.

KProctor

Yeah I asked Scuzzy about making it a liberty seed for sign ups but I know he's swamped, Jason mentioned he might be able to help but as of right now it's just me thats 100%

Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

AF5US

Kevin,

-What is the address?
-What time is setup?
-What things from the list I mentioned earlier in this thread were you planning on bringing?
-Note: Since this is an outdoor event, I would add a canopy.

KProctor

Here's the breakdown for tommorrow, ill be arriving about an hour early for set up. Our set up will be outside utilizing a 10x10ft canopy
I'll have my coolers stocked with free water and due to the missing low number of trifolds on hand will be handing out free rifleman burritos( patent pending)

Rifleman burrito ingredients
1 aqt
1 redcoat
1 squares target
1 business card with sign up information
Rolled into one, serve with freedom

Final details of the event

Address 325 Valley Ridge Blvd, Lewisville, TX 75057, United States

Set up at 1230

Event starts at 1pm

Supplies:
Canopy- check
Table with table cloth - check
Giveaway: Trifold brochures- only have a few shoot box didn't come in time
Giveaway: Red Coat Targets -check
Giveaway for children: Appleseed Stickers -I have none
Giveaway for children: Appleseed temporary tattoos -I have none
Possible giveaway: Chamber flags- I have some

Laptop to play "Appleseed in 60 Seconds" on loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBVOy-WAAvs
Laptop to sign people up for events- unsure about power supply so I won't be bringing my laptop. -My cards have qr codes on them directly to the sign up,

Visual Aid: Rifleman Patch - check
Visual Aid: Squares target / AQT target / KD Target- check
Visual Aid: Map of the 3 Strikes - mine did not arrive yet
Visual Aid: Dummy rifle -check,
Visual Aid: Brown Bess Replica - chris took it so thats out
Visual Aid: Historical Flags - check
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleer™    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

AF5US

Great job doing all the hard work.  I'm planning on being there at setup to help supplement some of the things you don't have.  So far, I'm planning:
-Trifolds
-Stickers
-Temporary tattoos
-Additional chamber flags (looks like you might be somewhat limited)
-Laptop (not critical but might be nice)
-Map of the 3 strikes
I'll probably grab my shoot boss box with extra targets, just in case.

Anything else?

I'll need to leave around 4 or 4:30 PM, FYI