News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sparta MI AAR - September 25-26

Started by Rangerat67, September 27, 2021, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerat67

A successful Appleseed events requires students with a desire to learn.  The shooters that attended the Sparta Appleseed event soaked up the marksmanship instruction.  They persisted through the weekend and the end results shows the character of these exceptional students.  Great student attitudes combined with good weather and a great facility made this a memorable event.

The event started with the pledge, introduction, presentation of the safety rules, and steps to making a safe rifle.  The students demonstrated throughout the weekend that they understood and respected the safety standards of Appleseed.  Our goal is that these safety standards become lifelong habits to be shared with the shooting community. 

We then made our way to the 25 meter range and the fire hose of marksmanship knowledge was opened.  The students soaked it in throughout the day as group sizes gradually reduced.  In addition to the marksmanship instruction, the story of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775 was presented.  Who can forget the sacrifices of so many to preserve our freedom?  Especially Superheat's talk on the sacrifices of James Hayward, Isaac Davis, and Hanna Davis.   

"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."  John Adams 

It was now time for an AQT.  Please join me in giving three Huzzahs to Dave for earning his first patch and the coveted title of "Rifleman" with a score of 219!  Huzzah! Huzzah!  Huzzah! 

On day two, the history continued with the true stories of Samuel Whittemore, Hezekiah Wyman, and David Lamsom.  Oz' presentation held my attention. (I have even  heard them a few times.)  I wish everyone in this great nation knew these stories. 

Day two was an accelerated version of Saturday.  In the morning, the students received extended time with laser training rifles.  This helped the students find stable positions and practice establishing NPOA.  After a couple of AQT's, a magazine changing drill was conducted and the AQT scores "Shot Up", pun intended. 

First time Appleseeder Casey achieved a 200 shooting with iron sights.  Casey's scored improved with each AQT.  One more might have earned the patch!

First time Appleseeder, Brett had several AQT's in the 170's with a high score of 178.  Brett concluded the weekend with a clean Redcoat target.  Huzzah!  Many consider this to be more difficult than achieving an AQT score greater than 210.

First time Appleseeder Thomas wins the most improved award.  On his first AQT, he scored a respectable 106.  BY the end of the weekend he improved to 175 and a "sharpshooter" designation.  Great job Thomas! 

Earning a Rifleman patch at you first event is rare.  Earning one at your second event is an accomplishment.  Earning one at your third or fourth event is average.  Based on the skills demonstrated by these three students, I see a Rifleman patch for each of them at their next event!

Dave not only earned his first patch ever, but he continued to improve as he went from being just shy of a 210 at his previous event, to a score of 238 and "knocking on the door" of earning a distinguished patch!  He earned the nickname "Takedown" as he accomplished this with a Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

Three Huzzah's to Chris, the club representative and cheerleader for all the students, who on Sunday stepped up to the podium to receive the coveted Rifleman Patch.  Chris has showcased his marksmanship skills before and I had no doubt he would be receiving a patch this weekend.       

In addition to the AQT's, we fit in two fun shoots.  One was an opportunity to shoot a 1944 M1 Garand.  I don't know what is better, shooting the rifle that won WWII or listened to the "ping" of the ejected clip.  The second fun shoot was a "Know Your Limits" target to abolish laziness, contentment, fear, and apathy.  Dave was the only shooter to "Know his Limit" as the other four shooters DQ'ed.  Dave won a Gerber pocketknife donated by Open Sites! 

As an added encouragement, before the last AQT, Open Sites offered a Gerber pocketknife to any shooter that improved his score from the previous AQT.  I know he gave out at least two more pocketknives.  If you earned a prize, be sure to thank Open Sites in a post below!  With prizes like this, students are going to seek out events with Open Sites! 

Thank you to all the students as your desire to learn, attentiveness, and persistence made this an enjoyable for all the instructors.  I look forward to seeing you at a future Appleseed event.  (Perhaps the Dorr MI full distance event scheduled for October 16-17?)

Thank you to the Sparta Hunting and Fishing Club for hosting an Appleseed event.  This was a great venue and we look forward to returning again next year.

A big "Thank You" to Chris for making this event possible.  He is the one responsible for Appleseed being able to hold an event at the Sparta Hunting and Fishing Club.  In addition, he helped set up Friday evening and Saturday morning. 

Finally, Thank You to Open Sites, Superheat, and Oz, for donating your time and talents to this event.  The Appleseed instructor cadre are some of the best people you can ever meet and it is a pleasure to know and work with all of you.

Once I figure out how to post pictures, you will see them attached below.  Feel free to post your own and share any comments you have about this weekend Appleseed event.

Best regards,

Rangerat67

Rangerat67

Sparta Rifleman!

Rangerat67

A few random photos.

Rangerat67

An Appleseed "cartridge holder" designed by Open Sites and machined by Fidget.  Contact Open Sites for additional information.

Superheat

Takedown88

Huge thanks to RangeRat, Open Sights, Superheat, and OZ for the great instruction this past weekend!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the KD event coming next month in Dorr but I'll keep my eye on the calendar for more events next year.

Oz

I wish I'd been there Saturday so I could even more appreciate the progress you all made on Sunday.  Casey, Dave, Brett, Chris, and Thomas, you were just a great group of folks and it was a privilege to work with you.  Appleseeders tend to be pretty awesome but this was even more special than usual.  When I showed up Sunday morning it was already clear that you were a team.  I hope to see each of you on down the trail.

I had not seen that level of accuracy from a takedown 10/22 before but that Magpul stock ("backpacker", right?) with the forward sling swivel aft of the takedown break clearly let the rifle show off its ability to be accurate.  A 238 (including a clean stage 4) takes a special combination of rifle and shooter.

Chris, with folks like you bringing us to the club, I'm sure we'll have another event.  Actually, I'm surprised we're not having another event there right now.  Well, pitter patter...

Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Cesium

This was my first event and let me say that Rangerat67, Open Sights, Superheat, and Oz made unforgettable! I learned so much from each of you and it was a pleasure to spend the weekend with you all. Also thanks to all the students for the excellent conversations and idea sharing and a big thanks to Chris for making it possible in Sparta! All around a great event and I can't wait to do it again soon!