News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN KD September 11-12

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, September 13, 2021, 12:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

What a great weekend!!! A KD event with a nearly full line of battle rifles gladdens the heart of the old Wreck.

I've worked several KD events in Puryear with Master Instructor DonD but this was my first as Shoot Boss.  I moved from a supporting role to wearing the green hat when Don learned that he would need open heart surgery 3 weeks before the event. Fortunately, I was blessed with an extremely experienced crew who signed up to do most of the heavy lifting, so it made lighter work for the old Wreck. Charley (a DSB border raider from Toledo) JPL from Kentucky (the MVP of the event for bringing a tractor and trailer to haul shooters back and forth to the target line on a couple of hot days), Google and Maximum Ordinate from Alabama rounded out the instructor cadre. I even pressed Orange Hat shooter OP78 into service on Sunday after he had already shot two qualifying KD Rifleman scores.

Saturday morning started in the classroom at the beautiful range at the Henry County Gun club. After a couple of late cancellations, we had 10 dedicated patriots who came to see if our claim that "what works at 25 yards, works farther."  After registration and introductions, Charley did a review of IMC and Maximum Ordinate delivered a block on trajectory and how to shoot the AQT (BSZ vs come-ups, vs holdovers).  The group then did a caravan to the range about half a mile away and we got down to business.

After Charley delivered the safety brief, and shooters posted targets at 100 the first order of the day was to determine the riflemen from the cooks. The old Wreck had posted a 7" x 11" steel plate at 250 yards and everyone on the line took a cold bore shot at 250 yards hoping to join Morgan's Rifle Company and earn the patch. The results from this first effort were 3 Morgan's Riflemen and 7 cooks. We should eat well.  ;D

When we broke to eat, we call the noon meal dinner in this part of the country  ;) , Charley told the story of the Battle of Alamance as the lead up to the Battle of King's Mountain that I would finish with on Sunday.  After eating, we got to the business of shooting sighters and AQT stages from 100-400 yards. After the first round we had 2 new KD riflemen and one requal, rustygun, proving what works at 25 works farther. 

After dinner we were blessed with an appearance by DonD who is just 3 weeks post-op from open heart surgery. Since Don had just recorded another lap around the sun last Thursday (it was his birthday) MO brought out the cookie cake and we sang happy birthday. Don was able to join shooters and cadre at our traditional gathering at the Mexican restaurant in Murray for supper. Counting JPL's wife (Shoot Boss LesMoore) and 9 month old son Logan (future Rifleman), the request was for table for 20 Patriots.

Sunday morning began at the range, and the first order of business was to see who could hit Morgan's Shingle (no patch opportunity this time) now that they'd had time to learn their come-ups. A comment was made that nobody had yet hit the shingle standing (cold bore shot at 250 yards) so Orange Hat OP78, who had hit it on Saturday morning from prone, took that as a challenge. With the entire line watching, he executed a perfect standing position and smacked it dead center. The cheer from those on the line could have been heard at the clubhouse half a mile away. HUZZAH OP78! Talk about a man knowing very well what he is about.

To try and beat the heat, we started shooting AQT's first thing after the shingle shots and minted two more riflemen and a few requals from folks who had earned the patch on Saturday. At the dinner break shooters heard the Battle of King's mountain, listened to blocks on Target Detection and Google taught range estimation in MOA and MILS. I'm sure she could do the block in cubits, mills and clicks if given a few minutes prep time. We then had shooters calibrate their scopes on "the big board" at 100 yards and work a couple of range estimation problems to make sure they "got it." I think several shooters were very surprised that they could actually do range estimation so accurately with only what is on their rifles. You don't need a "laser" to accurately range the target.

We finished the day shooting steel out to 600+ yards for an hour or so. The last little "Top Shot Appleseed" contest I came up with required shooters to place at least one hit on targets at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. Time starts on the first shot and ends when the the bullet hits steel at 500. One 10 round mag.  The first two shooters actually tied with a time of 44 seconds and it looked like a shootoff would be needed till Matthew decided to throw his hat in the ring and bested their times with his own 38 second effort.  I was asked before we started if you could change the turrets as you shoot, and I pointed out that you could, but it would slow you down. All shot BSZ.

In summary, it was a great weekend of honing the marksmanship skills our ancestors had in abundance and sharing fellowship with some great Patriots. Y'all keep watching the schedule for KD's upcoming in the Tennessee Valley. There are two on the schedule right now as of 9/13/21 (Huntsville and Pelham, TN) and we may add another one or two if we can reserve the range dates.
I ask that my fellow instructors who are more technically savvy than I am who took pictures to please post them. I'm not even 4 MOA on that.  :( I probably need trained.

See you on the line and NEVER give up.

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Mrs. Smith

I take my hat off to all you fine patriots. This sounds like a fantastic event!

OP 78, you sir are the FIRST of our Morgan's Riflemen to strike that shingle from a standing position  :bow:  In honor of that, I have a little something to add to your patch. PM me!

Wreck, I expect you to make a formal announcement to the Morgan's Riflemen thread on the SW Region board.  I need to add these fine folks to the Roster!

Congratulations, everyone, on a fine shoot.

And Don....  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :partytime: :birthday:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Google

There aren't many better ways to spend a weekend than on a rifle range with your Appleseed family and a full line of shooters.  Unless it's a KD weekend, then it's extra special.  I had been looking forward to this event for weeks and it did not disappoint!  What a great group of shooters, and the cadre was top notch. 

Thanks for everyone that came out and supported Liberty this weekend  :1luvu

Here are a few pictures ...

Charley teaching IMC:

Setting out targets Saturday morning:

Wreck and Maximum Ordinate teaching standing position:

Kyle and Alan putting it into practice:

JPL, dond, and Wreck watching the line during prone:

Wreck recounting the story of King's Mountain:

Range Estimation exercise with the "Big Board":

Patricia and Ron teaming up on some steel on Sunday afternoon:

dond and his birthday cookie:

Ramblin' Wreck

A few more pictures of the best KD event I've been to in a while.

The group photo we usually forget to take.

Instructors except for OP78

The first batch of Morgan's Riflemen on Saturday. Michael, OP78, Dave and Alan.

JPL didn't shoot at all on Saturday and asked if he might try on Sunday morning. Another member of Morgan's rifle company.

Google coaching our bolt gun shooter Kyle
Charley giving Patricia some pro tips

Charlie recounting the War of Regulation
Dave (aka Rustygun) gets his KD bar.

Michael, a fellow Dangerous Old Man, gets his patch.

OP78 who also hit the shingle STANDING on Sunday morning earns his KD bar

All our Saturday KD Riflemen. Rustygun, OP78 and Michael.

Another KD Rifleman, Matthew, on Sunday

OP78 makes the slog back up hill from the 100 yard line while everyone else rides the train.

Alan and Jacob in prone

Focus-focus and squeeeeeze the trigger

Maximum Ordinate's 1.5 minute group at 400 yards with just a suggestion of wind thrown in.

The old Wreck telling the story of the Battle of King's Mountain, aka don't threaten people who just want to be left alone.

Google teaching range estimation for Riflemen using just what's on the rifle. You can see "the big board" at 100 yards behind us.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

OP 78

Out of all the events I have attended, this was by far my favorite. Actually being able to put to use what was taught in the 25 meter classes. The instructors were top notch and the the range was awesome. We are definitely blessed in TN to have great ranges and great instructors. I will definitely be spreading the word about the KD events. And that shingle was tiny.
Rifleman 4/17/2021
Pistoleer™ 7/10/2021
KD qualified 9/11/2021
Rimfire Kd qualified 10/23/2021

CrapShoot

Congratulations to Mike and RustyGun of Memphis!
Congratulations and WOW! to OP 78!
Congratulations to Matthew!

Great shooting everyone.
1st AS: 09/26/2020
2nd AS: 10/17/2020
3rd AS: 11/14/2020
4th AS: 04/17/2021
5th AS: 05/29/2021
Rifleman: 05/30/2021
Rifleman: 09/26/2021

Rustygun

What a great KD at Puryear! Perfect weather, great range, a really outstanding group of Instructors, and a great group of shooters. I was happy that I was able to shoot a few decent scores and was blown away by OP78 making that offhand shingle shot. Quite a shot! I think we all learned something and had a great time to boot. Hope to be there next year.

JPL

Not a better group of folks anywhere to spend a weekend with!

Calaboose Cross

What a great weekend it was! What a fantastic cadre of instructors! ‘Rambling Wreck did a stellar job in managing a superb shooting weekend. After 21 years in the Army and two Iraq deployments and twelve years as a Memphis police officer, I thought I knew quite a bit about shooting. Wrong. Every AS event I attend I learn more - a lot more. And this KD AS was no exception. I am extremely grateful to all of the instructors and especially Shoot Boss ‘Ramblin Wreck for making this AS KD an educational as well as a mega-fun event. Moreover, I stand in awe of OP78's and Rusty Gun's shooting abilities. For me to be awarded my KD tab and Morgan's Shingle on my first KD event, I am living proof of the old adage: "I'd rather be lucky than good!" 😊
Again, thanks to Shoot Boss ‘Ramblin Wreck, the top-of-the-line instructors, and my fellow Patriot shooters!
2019 Rifleman Patch
Multiple Requals
KD Tab and Morgan's Shingle 9/11/21 Puryear

SavvySteve

Quote from: CrapShoot on September 14, 2021, 12:14:53 PM
Congratulations to Mike and RustyGun of Memphis!
Congratulations and WOW! to OP 78!
Congratulations to Matthew!

Great shooting everyone.

OP78 you are now a legend!  Mike and RustyGun were telling us about the standing Morgan shingle shot!   That is amazing!    Congratulations to everyone that got their KD patch!
-> First Appleseed - 11/14/2020 ___ Rifleman - 9/25/2021
-> IBC Memphis, TN - 3/6/2022  ___ Orange Hat (IIT0) - 3/6/2022
-> First KD - 9/17/2022 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 9/25/2022
-> IBC Jonesboro, AR - 2/11/2023 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 4/23/2023
-> IIT2 (Memphis, TN 5/20/2023) - 6/7/2023 ___ Second KD, Hit the Morgan Shingle! - 9/17/2023
-> First Appleseed Pistol Clinic Qualified Pistoleer™ -  11/17/2023