News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD shoot Big Springs range Grinell IA Oct 9-10

Started by Twineagles, September 10, 2021, 01:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twineagles

Our KD is scheduled for Oct 9-10 at Big Springs in Grinell. I have a conflict for Saturday but will be there Sunday. We still have room on the line for a couple of more shooters. On Sunday there will be opportunity for instructors to shoot.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Steenbeen

I am signed up, but unfortunately need to scramble to switch firearms.  I had originally planned on using a suppressed SCAR 17, but the suppressor needed to be returned.  The muzzle blast is far too obnoxious to shoot without it, so I need to find an alternate...

With that being said, has anyone ever qualified using an M1?  My quickly aging eyes are not what they used to be, so that may be out of the question

ItsanSKS

The M1 is a fine tool for use at a KD.  The sight adjustments are simple, yet precise, and very repeatable.

The recoil of a semi-auto .30-06 isn't terrible, but will quickly identify flaws in your position.

The long sight radius makes using irons easier, even for those with aging eyes- if you can focus on the cuticle of your thumb at arms distance, you should be able to effectively use the M1.

The biggest hurdle you will face is loading 2 rounds during the transition stages- a special clip can be procured, you can cross two rounds in a standard clip, or you can single-load the first two rounds; other alternatives may be available- discuss your options with the shoot boss and instructors at the event.

Whatever rifle you decide to bring, be prepared to learn a ton.  KD Clinics are great fun, but can also be physically and mentally challenging.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Burnett

I got signed up last night; hopefully I will be able to attend.
Thinking of bring a .22LR set up for long range.
Should be able to work.
Greg