News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colebrook Ct July 17-18, 2021

Started by TOMINCT, July 19, 2021, 11:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

Hot and humid weather plus the promise of much rain didn't dampen the enthusiasm of 13 attendees at NWCSA Appleseed event in Colebrook, Ct. this weekend. We had some new firearms owners and several young people attending with their father or grandfather. It was good to see families getting out on the firing line again.

With many new shooters in attendance we had our work cut out for us. The efforts of Mwolf, Scout74 and Parallax on Saturday got most of the issues resolved by the end of the day. Issues meaning sight in, adapting slings, building up stock combs and in general getting many used to adapting to their equipment.

With the instruction, correction by instructors and practice in position we saw much improvement and our 1st Rifleman of the weekend. John hit it hard with his AR and a sizzling 221 score. HUZZAH!  ^:)^ ^:)^

Sunday started with the threat of heavy thunderstorms but they held off for the most part. Sassyfirebird joined the IT crew and assisted many on the firing line. Several AQT's were fired and time was taken when needed for some drills. Plus ball and dummy and a KD segment with both CF and 22 rifles taking part.

The day was winding down when the last AQT minted another Rifleman, or I should say Riflewoman. Su made the grade with a 210 score, receiving her patch and the time honored ceremonial dousing.  ..:..

Some other noted scores were Cameron with a 205, Craig in the 190's and Campbell in the 180's. There may have been others whose scores I didn't get, my apologies. Much improvement was seen by the perh=formance of the shooters by the end of the event.

The attendees were a great group, taking the POI's in and nary a complaint, even with the heat getting the better of us by Sunday afternoon.

It was good to be back to NWCSA, they have been a strong supporter of Appleseed for 12 years now and offer the use of not only the range but some gear and use of the archery field for camping, which many did on Saturday. A big thank you for your support.

The IT crew did their best, having a crew as such makes an SB's job go a lot smoother. They were always ready to offer suggestions & help wherever needed. A big thanks goes out to them.

A Rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

scout74

Another great event, participation and location! Big thank you to NWCSA, participants and CT cadre. It was great having young and the old on the line, similar to the second strike! Thank you Tom and Ron for setting this event up!
10/22/16 Rifleman

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Thomas Jefferson
"You'll have noise soon enough,the regulars are out!" Paul Revere
"The first man who turns to run, I will shoot down myself.  Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean for a war let it begin here." Capt. John Parker

https://www.facebook.com/AppleseedCT/

su:)

Thank you Tom and Ron for a fantastic event! And special thanks to Craig, Cameron, and Campbell for pulling us through camping in a thunderstorm with 60 mph winds and lightning. Hope to see everyone again soon :)

SassyFirebird

Even though I only got to be there part of Sunday to instruct, I'm glad to have had an unexpected adventure in the torrential rain and constant thunderstorms. I never camped out in my car before and food never tasted so amazing thanks CC&C!
Thanks to everyone who did such great work. And for those that didn't get Rifleman this time, go and sign up for another one until you get it!  You'll be glad you did. :)

mwolf

Thanks to Tom for running the event and making sure us commuters from out of state were accommodated for camping! Lots of new shooters with teachable attitudes and even though only a couple riflemen were made, the new shooters and rusty returners walked away just needing to "put it all together" having had individually excellent rounds in each stage.

Thanks to Craig and his boys for making the camping as good as it could have possibly been with the weather and to our host range NWCSA for providing camping and the range for the whole weekend!

Parallax

Starting to load some pictures. I will load the rest tomorrow.

CAANY

A fabulous weekend with a great group of people all wishing to learn more about our shared heritage and improve their safety and shooting skills. 

Having not shot at an Appleseed since 2014 I was reminded just how perishable the skills are, both is term of using all the theory at once and in the actual contortions of the body required.  Still some good progress made on the Redcoats by Cadet and myself, unsure of where Perseverance's Redcoats went.

I was very impressed with a Grandfather that had brought his grandchildren to the event.  Often we see Fathers and their children or Mothers and their children.   Great to see the traditions and heritage being shared and continued.

Many thanks to the Instructors, TomInCT, Parallax, Scout74 MWolf, Su;) & SassyFirebird, to Project Appleseed as an organization and the North West Connecticut Sportsman's Association (NWCSA) for kindly providing the Range and Campground for the weekend.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Sir Winston S. Churchill.

Parallax

Finally with the pictures :beer:

CAANY

Nice features of the North West Connecticut Sportsman's Association (NWCSA) range:

1). It is covered in case of inclement weather. 

2). Perhaps the biggest advantage is the opportunity to shoot out past 25 yards.  Putting the Inches, Minutes and Clicks to the test and still showing the same MOA accuracy.  Target shown was at 175 yards with a .308   I think the attendees that we most surprised were those the shot their .22LR to this distance and were on paper!
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." - Sir Winston S. Churchill.

TOMINCT

It is good to have some distance to verify that what works at 25m works at distance.

Forgot to add that the crew that camped had a heck of a time Sat evening. T storms and rain forecast, I couldn't stay but several did and most had to finish the night in their vehicles. High winds, heavy downpours, air born tents & equipment. They got drenched! But they toughed it out thru Sunday, all afaik!

Lastly, there will be a rimfire KD at Colebrook Sept 25th, 1 day. Hope some of you can come out and stretch your legs at distance for the day.
Ramseur 2-12!

Parallax

One of the Rifleman pictures almost got away.

M1bzrk

Congrats - looks like you had an excellent turnout.  It's nice to know that LIBERTY is still alive in the Nutmeg state!  I was born in New Haven (a long time ago).  Keep up the good work.

TOMINCT

We're trying hard M1brzk, lots of folks asleep still. Too many drinking the cool aid and like it.

Thanks for the kind words.
Ramseur 2-12!