News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CalienteSeed! What it is, and how to get them!

Started by Mrs. Smith, June 18, 2021, 11:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Good evening, everyone!

There's been a little interest in Ghostring's brainchild, the CalienteSeed patch. 

Here's (some of) the straight poop:

This is a morale patch. It's not tied to a score.

Requirements are as follows:

It must be earned at a two-day event. Standard or known distance doesn't matter.

Temps at least one of those two days must reach 100 degrees, on the thermometer or felt.  Humidity is a real thing, so the Heat Index absolutely applies.

The recipient must stick out BOTH of days of the event, and not just hanging around. They must participate.

Certain flexibility for Shoot Boss discretion, but this is the standard.

Patches are NOT official Appleseed patches!  Again, Ghostring's baby, ya'll.  Which means they're not being made on Appleseed's dime.

I'll let Jim tell you about the rest.  He was off work for a week for the Wyoming RBC, so he's probably catching up with work right now. Be patient.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

WhitePaladin

I'm gonna have to take you up on this challenge.   :cool2:   :---

Black Knight

Is this patch intended for shooters only or does it also apply to cadre?  Really fine patch!!
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Nashville Stage

Ooooohhh! Very nice work; it might even be worth a road trip to the southwest region to pick up one of these puppies cross-pollinate with other instructors.  :cool2:
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Black Knight on June 19, 2021, 02:25:46 AM
Is this patch intended for shooters only or does it also apply to cadre?  Really fine patch!!

Hey, cadre toughs out the heat just as much as the students. Maybe more. Of course it applies!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Nashville Stage on June 19, 2021, 01:03:29 PM
Ooooohhh! Very nice work; it might even be worth a road trip to the southwest region to pick up one of these puppies cross-pollinate with other instructors.  :cool2:

Nash, if you're feeling froggy  :cool2: >:D

scuzzy

I'd suggested a patch for Texas summers years ago. I'd wanted to call it the 'Texas Hell on Earth' patch. It would be red and have flames coming off of it. Even made a graphic for it.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15542.msg127863#msg127863

I was shot down though. Probably wisely.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: scuzzy on June 19, 2021, 03:11:46 PM
I'd suggested a patch for Texas summers years ago. I'd wanted to call it the 'Texas Hell on Earth' patch. It would be red and have flames coming off of it. Even made a graphic for it.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15542.msg127863#msg127863

I was shot down though. Probably wisely.

Scuzzy, I think the difference here is a) this patch is strictly a morale patch, not a Rifleman patch. It's not tied to shooting a score, only to toughing out two days in blistering heat. And b) Appleseed didn't pay for these. Jim and I did.

Black Knight

So back to the point:  Can a SB order these from you  if conditions are met or does one need to travel to the SW?  Once again, GREAT MORALE PATCH!!!
Black Knight

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Black Knight on June 19, 2021, 05:15:38 PM
So back to the point:  Can a SB order these from you  if conditions are met or does one need to travel to the SW?  Once again, GREAT MORALE PATCH!!!

As far as I know Ghostring is happy to have ANYBODY participate. It's fun! And the patches are kinda cute  ;) 

The version we ordered has a two-part Velcro backing, and depending on order size, they ran about $1.50 each.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Black Knight on June 19, 2021, 06:38:57 PM
Thank you.  Do we need to come to the SW?

Not at all! Just get with Ghostring about ordering them  :)

Black Knight

You are the greatest as ever!!  Thanks so much for all you do!
Black Knight

JandD

Not going to lie, it was awesome to get one of these, but I'm also going to actively avoid getting another
Hey look, words

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: JandD on June 19, 2021, 09:15:58 PM
Not going to lie, it was awesome to get one of these, but I'm also going to actively avoid getting another

**)  only way to guarantee that around these parts is to not schedule shoots from May to September  :cool2:

Leam

I'll be at the Gainesville shoot next weekend, and there's a better than even chance we'll be able to earn this. That'd start my Appleseed career off in an interesting foot...

TheMenace

Florida is not immune to your SW temps. Yesterday at our Pitol Clinic the felt temp registered 104! Students still   :))
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: TheMenace on June 20, 2021, 06:52:48 AM
Florida is not immune to your SW temps. Yesterday at our Pitol Clinic the felt temp registered 104! Students still   :))

That, sir, is why we aren't trying to keep it to ourselves  :cool2: we're happy to share!  Of course, the patch was conceived in the Sw Region, so naturally the design has a SW flair, but other than that, anybody can do it. Heck, it was in the high 90s in South Dakota a week or two ago! It gets hot all over  :)

509gman

The way things are going we may get to have these in Alaska. It was perilously close to 90° at our one day KD in Talkeetna last year. I might lay some odds on hitting this benchmark at our Tok shoot next month.
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

AF5US

Mrs. Smith, I'd like to arrange a way to reimburse you and Ghostring at least a small part of the cost that you two put into these.  What can be done about that? Paypal? Zelle?
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: AF5US on June 24, 2021, 12:00:29 AM
Mrs. Smith, I'd like to arrange a way to reimburse you and Ghostring at least a small part of the cost that you two put into these.  What can be done about that? Paypal? Zelle?

Jason,  sir,  I paid for the 50 I kept.  The rest is between you and Ghostring  :cool2: good luck with that. You know how he is  #) :1luvu

AF5US

Cool.

For those interested, I messaged Ghostring and he was willing to provide me with a Paypal address.  I don't know that he wants that shared here so I'm not going to post it, but if you are a shoot boss and you have been given a set to distribute at events - maybe message Jim & ask him how you can help, if you're so inclined.

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on June 24, 2021, 12:03:26 AM
Quote from: AF5US on June 24, 2021, 12:00:29 AM

Jason,  sir,  I paid for the 50 I kept.  The rest is between you and Ghostring  :cool2: good luck with that. You know how he is  #) :1luvu

Nashville Stage

I believe he also accepts payment in pirate jokes and hedgehogs.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

AF5US

Yes.  Yes he does  O0

Quote from: Nashville Stage on June 24, 2021, 11:12:11 PM
I believe he also accepts payment in pirate jokes and hedgehogs.