News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua, OH June 26-27, 2021 AAR

Started by Shep, June 29, 2021, 07:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

Sixteen shooters came to Piqua Fish and Game for a weekend of marksmanship and history.  Dire predictions earlier in the week forecasting a wet and rainy shoot turned out to be untrue; however, the heat and humidity did take its toll, especially on Sunday.

Saturday's opening Redcoat was cleared by Cesar, (Hasty Sling); several others proved they came with some skills as well. However, Saturday evening's Redcoats proved the effectiveness of the day's instruction with even higher numbers; fifty percent of the shooters hit the shingle to join Daniel Morgan's team, and Mike W. cleared his Red Coat.

We had one new rifleman on Saturday, Nathanial H. scored a 228. Also, Cesar C. (Hasty Sling), re-qualified with a 228; he again shot rifleman scores Sunday with another 228 and a 214.

Sunday morning we worked drills to help find natural point of aim before going back into some AQT's (Appleseed Qualification Tests). Congratulations to Cameron F. for earning his Rifleman's patch with a score of 219. Josiah K. re-qualified as a rifleman by shooting a 230. Josiah (Sheepdog1776) also accepted an Orange hat and joined the Piqua Team of Appleseed instructors.

Our fun shoot was five teams of three with twenty round for each shooter, forty seconds were allowed to send them one hundred yards into their targets. Team three scored the most hits on paper, but a good time was had by all.

Congratulations to Chieflane for his promotion to full Red Hat Instructor over the weekend.

The Piqua Appleseed, (and their shoot boss) was blessed with a truly great team of instructors; thanks go to Doc Willi, Thomas F, Chieflane, Naga and Griffin. Their expertise and compassionate dedication to the shooter's needs was greatly appreciated.

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Piqua Photos
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Piqua Photos

Shep

Piqua Photos

Shep

Piqua Photos

Shep

Piqua Photos

Shep

Piqua Photos

Hasty Sling

What can you say about The Piqua Experience? Well, a lot. First, everyone at the shoot - instructors and students alike - could not have been nicer. Everyone was such pleasant company and up to their respective tasks. Everyone just seemed to be of the same mind as to why we were there, so the marksmanship and history were fun, informative, and incredibly helpful. By the end of the weekend conversations between this ragtag assembly of patriots were easy and fun. I can count seven or eight students at the shoot with whom I was having casual conversations about our progress over the course of the clinic by the end of the weekend. And I can say the same thing about every one of the instructors. Each instructor was generous with their time and attention.

Second, what great attendance! Of the sixteen students attending the clinic, there were five pairs of parent-children, with four of the children being youth shooters. There were two mother and daughter pairs, one mother and son (and boy could he shoot!), a father and his young son, and another father and his adult son. There was also a boyfriend-girlfriend pair (or were you two married...could not tell). How cool was all that? Very cool.

Third, the instructors were top notch. Safety was paramount, and improvements in accuracy were evident throughout the weekend. An ideal example was the mother and daughter at the far left end of the firing line, both of whom were, shall we say, novices with guns at the beginning of the clinic. They may not have known it, but the end of the weekend, their shooting forms looked textbook. And why was that? Because as new shooters they were high priority, so they had a lot of focused attention from the instructors. I tell you, it was great to see what was happening at that end of the line. Outstanding work on the part of the instructors and students.

Fourth, the instructors exuded confidence, the utmost of skill, a safe and efficient firing line. They were also so approachable. Teaching for them was a conversation, not a one-way lecture. They were really in tune with each of us students. Really, they did an awesome job. Even at the end of the weekend they had the wherewithal to see that the oppressive heat was getting to be too much - without a student uttering a grumble or complaint - so they wisely called just one more AQT and Redcoat. Thanks to each one of you for a great weekend and your outstanding mentorship.

Lastly, there was Shep getting his 50 Shoot Pin, ChiefLane got his Red Hat, Riflemen re-qualing, other's getting their first Rifleman's patches, a student taking an Orange Hat, and a lot of progress all around.

For me, I can tell you that requalifying as a Rifleman is a RUSH!!! There are no guarantees in life, so no matter how well a student may be shooting, that magical 210 has to be earned each and every time. I shot three Riflemen's scores out of five AQTs, and cleared two of three Redcoats, missing only Morgan's Shingle on the Saturday afternoon RC. Well then, as far as this weekend went for me, what a thrill! (Note: I sat out the last AQT and Redcoat due to the heat.)

Thank you one and all for another fantastic Appleseed experience,

Cesar A. Cruz
Hasty Sling

Corvette

Hasty Sling,

Thank you for the great feedback on our Piqua event.  I am humbled by all the praise and thank you for coming. 

Hope to meet you at a future Appleseed.

Corvette (Ohio SC)
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Doc Willi

Hasty Sling,
Thank you for your kind words. We enjoyed having you on the line, and hope you will return.
This was a great class, with all the shooters having a great attitude, even with the oppressive heat.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Celtfox

We had a great time last weekend! My Wife and me finally attended our first Appleseed for my birthday and it was a very positive experience. I was happy to share that experience with her and was very surprised to shoot Rifleman! Now that was a great birthday present! She was very close as well and scored a 204! I was extremely proud to see her improvement from attending the class. I give credit to the great instruction from all the instructors and it was inspiring to be around a very good group of participants learning about our Nation's history and how to better develop our marksmanship. There were some excellent shooters in our group! I can't wait to get back out and try it again!

Shadow870

Looks like I missed an excellent weekend. New orange hats, new red hats, new rifleman, new shooters, new youth shooters and more. Congratulations to all and glad everyone had such an excellent weekend! Looking forward to seeing everyone next time around.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of both tyrants and patriots. - Thomas Jefferson