News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor Boot Camp, Albuquerque NM, Founders Ranch July 24-25, 2021

Started by Mrs. Smith, May 10, 2021, 09:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Hello, Appleseed Family!!!

I want to make you aware of an upcoming Instructor Boot Camp in Albuquerque, NM, at our newest host range, Founders Ranch! It is FREE to the Appleseed volunteer cadre, of course, and is designed to enable all of us to help work Appleseed events with even greater simplicity and precision.  Those who have not worked an event for a while may find it a fine refresher and for those who are seasoned instructors, it may be useful to review a bit.

While this event is scheduled for New Mexico, border raiders are ALWAYS welcome to join us!

Who can come?  It's for Instructors-in-Training, Instructors, Applecore, Shoot Bosses, and even crusty old Senior Instructors! (You know who you are :cool2: )  If you are not yet a volunteer but have attended a 25m event and shot a Rifleman score, come on out. :)

Stuff you need to know:

1.  The purpose of the IBC is to help our instructors grow and become better teachers, away from the pressure of being in front of students.  If you are an instructor, instructor in training, or interested in being a Project Appleseed Instructor - Sign up!

2.  The IBC is free to attend.  No cost. Sign up!

3.  Lodging.  There are a couple of hotels close by; there's only the one listed in Edgewood, NM, where the range is located, but there are several choices available in nearby Moriarty, as well. The Sunset in Moriarty is a good price and has great reviews. Don't book online, call and talk to a person!  Primitive camping and Self-contained RVs are welcome on the Range property for $20/night. Gates are closed for the night at 6pm, so plan accordingly.

4.  Don't let the name "Boot Camp" intimidate you.  This is a gentleman's course.  No push-ups, no hazing, no yelling.   Most of our IBC exercises will be in small groups.

5.  Attendance at this event will qualify you for your BOOT CAMP rocker.  Sign up!

6. Everyone is asked to please sign up as a student. Sign up!

7.  While we won't have a traditional breakfast at Waffle House, we WILL have dinner on Saturday evening at Chile Hills in Moriarty.  ^-^

8.  This venue is new to Project Appleseed, and they've been very accommodating!  https://foundersranch.com/contact

9.  An IBC will jump start your teaching skills and may qualify you for accelerated promotions!

Please pass this along to anyone you think may be interested.  The IBC is the method we use to ensure everyone is on the same page when we teach using the Appleseed way: SIMPLICITY and PRECISION.  Please join us and invite others. You are part of an elite group - the best rifle instructors in the country.  Come help us all improve as we spread the message of Liberty.

This is going to be a great event! Hope to see all of you there... so Sign up! Sign up! ^:)^

in Liberty,
Mrs. Smith

(Yes, I shamelessly stole the format from Google, who stole it from MO. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;D)
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

SafetyManTX

KD Rifleman 12/5/2020 Temple (Eddy), TX
KD Requalified 05/14/2023 Eddy, TX
Morgan's Shingle 05/30/2021 - Brass Valley KD @ Eddy, TX

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: SafetyManTX on May 15, 2021, 10:40:56 PM
Will camping be available on site?

Yessir! No hookups, no dump station, no running water, but if you're self contained or primitive you're good to go! If I recall correctly, $20/night
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

SafetyManTX

Thank you, but I wouldn't call my rig primitive!  :) Self-contained, yes.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: SafetyManTX on May 16, 2021, 10:51:15 PM
Thank you, but I wouldn't call my rig primitive!  :) Self-contained, yes.

;D

I wasn't sure which kind of camping you do, so I mentioned all the options. Someone else might enjoy tent camping there!

For the record, I don't do that tent stuff anymore, either.  Not this kid! I like my creature comforts!

Are you thinking of joining us?  That'd be pretty great!

SafetyManTX

I am working on opening up my schedule so I can attend. I should know in two weeks.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: SafetyManTX on May 20, 2021, 12:14:36 AM
I am working on opening up my schedule so I can attend. I should know in two weeks.

OutSTANDING!

Leam

Well, this is probably putting the cart well before even getting a horse, but I'm thinking through the logistics of doing this. I'll be in Texas by then, so only about an 8 hour drive away.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Leam on May 29, 2021, 07:08:45 AM
Well, this is probably putting the cart well before even getting a horse, but I'm thinking through the logistics of doing this. I'll be in Texas by then, so only about an 8 hour drive away.

Heck, out west 8 hours is a day trip  :cool2:

Are you already a member of the instructor cadre?  Whereabouts in Texas are you?

I must know more!   ;D

Leam

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on May 29, 2021, 02:25:40 PM
Quote from: Leam on May 29, 2021, 07:08:45 AM

Heck, out west 8 hours is a day trip  :cool2:

Are you already a member of the instructor cadre?  Whereabouts in Texas are you?

I must know more!   ;D

Well, the most critical peice of information is that I recognize your avatar, and the quote that goes with it. How's that for a start?  :)

I'm currently in the South Carolina part of Texas, but will remedy that in a couple of weeks. We'll wind up in Wichita Falls, about 90 minutes from the recurring Appleseeds in Gainsvile. Scruffy told me about the Tippmann M4-22 so I'm trying to work that out before the late June Appleseed. I'm not at the financial "money is no object" level, but I've been blessed with a couple extra dollars and a wonderful wife who won't give me grief if another gun shows up in the house.

Part of the "cart before the horse" comment comes from that scheduling; trying to get a rifle to shoot my first Appleseed in a place I don't even live yet. But of course, there's more...

I've talked to Scruffy (and the FL Appleseed representative a few years ago) and the conversations are "good". Not the "average" sense of "good", but the "I almost feel like family" level of "good". Once you get past the "going to the range to make noise and feel powerful" folks, shooters are seriously good people. I like that, and ask myself what I can bring to the conversation. In a previous life I was an NRA instructor, a Red Cross Instructor-Trainer, an instructor for the military, and an assistant scuba instructor. While I have a lot to learn about Project Appleseed, the IBC idea is already in my head.

I really enjoy helping others move from "I don't know" to "Ahh...now I get it." I love to learn, and I can share how I learn with other beginners. Even though I am seldom the most skilled, I can often see what's holding someone back and help them address it. Which is really funny once you realize I'm a stuttering introvert. This whole Kovid-Krazy "stay at home and don't talk to anyone" thing is like a dream come true. Even our dogs and cats talk to my wife more than I do.

So, the cart is about two horses forward of the horse I don't have. I can bring a teachable mind to the IBC and may be able to convince them I'm not a total lunatic. In theory I will have shot an Appleseed by the time I get there, and will have asked questions and figured out if this is the right course of action.

How's that for the more that you must know?

Mrs. Smith

That, sir, is a bunch more!  :cool2:

We don't often get interest in an IBC before someone has even attended an event! I'll tell you what. Get to that Appleseed in June. Get a good idea of what our instructors do, and know that there's a ton more they do that you don't see.  Have a chat with the cadre there after the shoot.

If you still want to attend the IBC once you've gotten your feet wet, let me know, and we'll talk.

Most of all, ENJOY yourself   :)

Until then,

Traci

Mahamotorworks

Leam, if you need to borrow a rifle while in NM let me know. Might be able to find a brick of ammo you can buy as well.

MAHA
Sufficient speed, Acceptable drag.

So what is Project Appleseed Business?  What would the Ghost of Project Appleseed say to us?

"Business!'" cried the Ghost of Project Appleseed, wringing its hands again.  "Liberty was my business; Heritage, History, Freedom, and Pursuit of Happiness, were, all, my business. The deals of Marksmanship were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
-Adapted from Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol.

Leam

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on May 29, 2021, 10:00:59 PM
Most of all, ENJOY yourself   :)

That's the general plan.   :)

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on May 29, 2021, 10:00:59 PM
We don't often get interest in an IBC before someone has even attended an event! I'll tell you what. Get to that Appleseed in June. Get a good idea of what our instructors do, and know that there's a ton more they do that you don't see.  Have a chat with the cadre there after the shoot.

If you still want to attend the IBC once you've gotten your feet wet, let me know, and we'll talk.

If you ever catch me acting normal, something is wrong. Seriously wrong...

I've been wanting to get back into 22 shooting and I enjoy being part of a good crew with a worthwhile mission. I also write young adult science fiction (think "Sandlot" kids become "Guardians of the Galaxy"), and proper use of firearms is in most of the books. Things seem to be falling into place.

Let's see how things look at the end of June. I should have met reality by then, and can make an informed decision. I may even know what all the hat colors mean, and what the shooting standards are.  :)

Leam

Quote from: Mahamotorworks on May 30, 2021, 03:56:07 AM
Leam, if you need to borrow a rifle while in NM let me know. Might be able to find a brick of ammo you can buy as well.

Thanks! Should have a more concrete plan by the end of June, or early July.

Leam

Well, it's been an adventure! Drove halfway across the country without incident, and then slipped while cleaning the UHaul. My fault, and twelve staples in my scalp. Turned 60 a few days ago, you'd think I could wash a truck by now...

In more important news, I have a loaner rifle and spousal approval lined up for the north Tx Appleseed in a couple of weeks. Talking to the Shoot Boss, and he's just as helpful and friendly as he could be. He even speaks nicely of the New Mexico crowd!

My rifle purchase will be delayed due to the "move across state lines and your'e a totally different person" laws. Can't blame them, but it is a pain. Hope to have it by July, we'll see.

Mahamotorworks

Glad to hear the majority of the move went well. Sorry to hear about the staples. Let us know how we can help further the Appleseed mission for you.

MAHA
Sufficient speed, Acceptable drag.

So what is Project Appleseed Business?  What would the Ghost of Project Appleseed say to us?

"Business!'" cried the Ghost of Project Appleseed, wringing its hands again.  "Liberty was my business; Heritage, History, Freedom, and Pursuit of Happiness, were, all, my business. The deals of Marksmanship were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
-Adapted from Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol.

Mrs. Smith

Goodness, that IS an adventure!  Truly sorry about that knock on the head, sir.  Gravity knows no age limits.

I'm glad you reached out to the Shoot Boss. You're going to love Jason. He's pretty awesome, but if you tell him I said so, I'll deny it  >:D

Leam

Following up; I won't be able to make this. Missed the local Appleseed due to yet another injury; I didn't know Texas was this dangerous! The next Appleseed is the weekend of the IBC. I'll stay local and learn a lot.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Leam on July 02, 2021, 04:00:29 PM
Following up; I won't be able to make this. Missed the local Appleseed due to yet another injury; I didn't know Texas was this dangerous! The next Appleseed is the weekend of the IBC. I'll stay local and learn a lot.

Oh,  wow!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and know that you're in good hands out there,  sir!

hotairbill

And a fun time was had by all.  Too bad for those that failed to show up.  Maybe next time? Great food and outstanding support, Many Thanks to RangeMom. The learning filled up my brain.  Thanks to MaximumOrdinate and the New Mexico State coordinator, for making this possible.  Well done all participants.
If you are not happy doing what you are doing... it's time to change what you are doing!
Rifleman patch, March 16, 2014.  Accepted an ORANGE hat on Sunday, 20 April, in Roswell NM. Now I start "Baby Steps."
Earned Red Hat, May 21, 2017.  Earned Shoot Boss, November 4, 2018!  Look out, Alamogordo, N.M. here comes Appleseed, again!