News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cleveland, TN - 25M 2 Day Clinic - 1-2 May 2021 - Event ID 7683

Started by 6Bones, May 04, 2021, 07:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6Bones

The day arrived with clear skies, a bit of chill in the air and a promise of no rain in the forecast. Upon arrival, the students successfully traversed the field that Liberty Ridge Ranch cleared of bison for the day, with only the occasional bison "patty" to dodge along the way. The students all arrived promptly (before 08:30) which allowed us an early start.  The line of eleven, which was down from seventeen due to COVID-related pre-event cancellations, was filled with eager students, seven of which were under the age of 18.  In addition to our students, we had several observing parents and grandparents present, encouraging and supporting their children.

We began the day with the opening speech/preamble and an engaging first strike by ArmyVet followed by a new orange hat (Bug_7) presenting the safety rules, safe rifle, and ammo difficulties.  After safely bringing rifles to the line, the students made quick work of the first red coat but with no "400yd" hits, no cleared targets and only one shingle shot, the "sea" of red hat instructors in attendance set out on a mission to change the outcome for the courses of fire to follow.

With almost a 1:1 student to instructor ratio, we spent the morning working with every shooter individually to check equipment, fit rifles, ensure proper sling setups, teach and verify proper position, demonstrate and practice the six steps of firing the shot and introduce the concept of trigger control.  We enjoyed an excellent presentation by Cleveland and CorgiMom who taught the prone position and NPOA modules.  The squares course of fire that followed rewarded us all for our efforts to individualize the instruction.  Shots were not just on paper but were also tight with about 2/3 of the line shooting 4-6 MOA groups after only a few squares. This allowed us to advance the talking target module before lunch and Cleveland and I toyed with the idea of presenting IMC before lunch. The time monkey found no spot on the line this morning!

During lunch, Cleveland presented the second strike and drew a tear from a minimum of one eye ("take good care of the children") and CorgiMom presented IMC to a group who was ready to make good use of it.  After lunch, we witnessed the "post-lunch group loosening phenomenon" a term Cleveland and I may look to canonize!  Ha!  We anticipated it might happen, so the phenomenon was met with a brief review of the three legs of the tripod of rifle marksmanship and the groups miraculously improved and in most cases were better than before lunch.  Squares shot in prone after lunch were excellent!

Squares shot in seated and standing clearly indicated that the students needed more time.  Even the practice AQT shot in the afternoon was done so using the "time" command vs. "cease fires" to allow everyone greater opportunity to become more comfortable with seated, standing and the transitions.  OldNavyDoc finished up the day with strike three, and as the heat began to rise, so did fatigue, so we called it a day after another red coat, which yielded three "400yd" hits, four shingle shots and three cleared targets.  This was the coveted improvement we had hoped for that morning and left us all to believe that day two would deliver even greater results. CokeGuy arrived late in the afternoon to award a Green Hat after having spent the morning at another range in Georgia being considered for future clinics.

Day two arrived with overcast skies and a threat of light rain in the forecast. Now well-accustomed to bison "patty" detailed scanning, the students all arrived promptly again and paid close attention during the morning review of the three legs of the tripod and retrieved their rifles, safely grounding them on the line.  The great things we had hoped for quickly arrived.  Tate (13) and Dad (Heath) were the first to shoot rifleman scores with Tate shooting irons and Heath shooting scope.  They swapped rifles and Tate went on to shoot two more rifleman scores with scope (222,223). Quite an achievement for a first-time Appleseeder.  Not to be out done, we had another first-time student shoot 212 (He asked to remain anonymous) and our tube-fed rifle shooters who had difficulties on Saturday with estate sale rifles, accepted loaner rifles and after only two sighting squares each, Righter (17) shot a rifleman's score (217) with Dad (John) not far behind.  Riflemen persist, ask Righter how he knows.  Over the course of the day between AQTs, the students heard numerous stories about the dangerous old men, brave women, and valiant children of the American revolution, along with a KD presentation over lunch. Before the benediction, we awarded seven (7) Luther Blanchard and four (4) Rifleman patches to a group of students who knew very well what they were about by the close of the day.  Congratulations to all the students and my sincerest appreciation to all the instructors for helping make this a great event!  I want to offer a special word of thanks to CokeGuy, Roswell, 76Patriot, Morpheus, and Cleveland for mentoring me through the SBit process and congratulations to TN Beast on his SBit1.

We left the bison field as we found it, wished everyone Godspeed, and parted as better-informed citizens and marksmen than when we arrived. 

May Liberty increase, forever.

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Palousie

Here are some of the photos I took.

I fixed it! Now it'll show the photos!

Old Navy Doc

This was indeed a fantastic Appleseed. The "teachable attitude" phrase universally applied to this group of students. Very shortly, all the instructor had to say was "what do you think you need to do on the next string of fire?" and they would self diagnose and improve.

Although the students with tube fed rifles improved, the tube procedures were frustrating and time consuming. Both improved greatly after switching to loaner 10/22's.

I look forward to returning to this beautiful range.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

Tennessee Beast

I appreciate the opportunity to shadow Cleveland and was really happy that I got to be there for the hat ceremony.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Gator0246

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams

Cleveland

Wow, what an amazing weekend! An awesome group of instructors, coupled with shooters that were eager to learn, combined with 6Bones' leadership made for a very successful event.

HUZZAH, hope to see you all back on the line!!!

Cleveland
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Ramblin' Wreck

Congratulations 6Bones. You're welcome to bring that shiny new green hat to Tennessee any time you feel led to do so. We will set you up.  O0
Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

magrelease

This was a great weekend.  It wore me out, but I left with many great new skills!  A big thank you to the volunteers!

Question: I'd like to write up a recap of the training for some friends of mine, including some pics of the targets we used.  Is that allowed by Appleseed?

Cleveland

Yes, we always like people to share their love of Appleseed with their friends. We have two more shoots on the calendar this fall at Liberty Ridge Ranch. We hope to see you back with your friends.
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

76Patriot

Wow, sounds like such a fantastic event.  Huzzah to all involved in making that happen!
"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry