News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colonial Shooter has passed away.

Started by Maximum Ordinate, May 06, 2021, 07:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

Colonial Shooter (known to friends and colleagues as Sam) passed away Wednesday morning in his sleep.  He was 55.

Sam joined the Appleseed family in 2008.  A year later, he became a shoot boss.  He would later accept the mantle of leadership and become a Senior Instructor and the Upper Plains Regional Coordinator.  Despite health challenges in recent years, he remained a stalwart Appleseed volunteer.  His calm and steady leadership was responsible for keeping his region together through some tough times.

He was smart, funny, thoughtful, and fiercely loyal to his crew.  He was always striving for ways to help make them more effective.

Sam is survived by two children who live in Virginia.  This Patriot will be dearly missed.  It's my belief that Colonial Shooter is in heaven sharing a pint with men like Revere and Adams... and they bought the first round.

If you're of the mind, please offer a prayer or kind thoughts for his children.

in Liberty,
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Mrs. Smith

Oh, Sam  :'(  Appleseed will miss you, my brother.

I will miss you. The world is a little darker today. One of our brightest stars has gone out. When Marcus Aurelius said that what we do now echoes an eternity, he was talking about you.

I promise we'll make you proud.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Captain

For those who had the honor of knowing him, Sam's loss certainly hits us hard. He was proud to be "one of the first" Appleseeders and was an attendee at one of the very first Appleseed events. The folks he mentored have become mentors themselves and that could probably be traced back two or three generations of Appleseeders at least. Sam was a true "Son of Liberty" and definitely committed himself to this mission and to helping out his fellow Appleseeders, whether that was staying at his house for a Cheyenne event (bacon wrapped elk backstrap) or him coming down to Colorado to run an IBC for the volunteers down here.

You'll be missed Brother
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

hotairbill

I worked with him on several occasions and found him to be a true Patriot and a Gentleman.   My heart is saddened.  His countenance and knowledge will be missed.  I pray that he is at peace and sharing a pint with those that went before him.  I think that God neede a rifle instructor.
If you are not happy doing what you are doing... it's time to change what you are doing!
Rifleman patch, March 16, 2014.  Accepted an ORANGE hat on Sunday, 20 April, in Roswell NM. Now I start "Baby Steps."
Earned Red Hat, May 21, 2017.  Earned Shoot Boss, November 4, 2018!  Look out, Alamogordo, N.M. here comes Appleseed, again!

Tennessee Beast

Sam was very hospitable to us after our long drive from the South by providing us a room and anything else we wanted.  He was indeed a TRUE Patriot.  He will be missed for sure!  Rest well, friend!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Pine Ridge Puma

Was sorry to learn of Sam's passing this morning from friends close to him in Wyoming.  I met Sam at the first seed I attended in Douglas, WY, and he was living in Casper at the time.  I went to one of his IBC's in Douglas later, in 2012 I believe, and he started me on the path to instructor and I had the good fortune to work with him on numerous AS events in the following years.  Sam was always upbeat, even knowing that he had an inoperable heart condition, and all who worked with him appreciated his experience with the program.  He was planning to host a big instructor get-together with steak and all of the trimmings at the Wyoming three day extravaganza coming up in just a week, May 14,15,16.  We were all looking forward to getting together again and meeting the newbies coming to the Cowboy state.  It will be a little different now...
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them,  and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

sleepy

Sam was a patriot and a leader. He knew his day was coming, and he worked to leave the best possible organization behind him to continue bailing. Now that he's gone, I think of all of the little (and big) ways I've dropped the ball and added to his stress or workload.

Berk has the ball for the short term. Anyone who is able to step up and help make his job easier has my gratitude.

Snow Snake

I can only echo what has been said about losing a great one.I only met him a few times but it was more than enough to identify him as a gentleman and patriot.He was gracious and comfortable hosting a crowd at his home for a elk bite and steak dinner.
He 's leaving Appleseed better than he found it.  Fair winds and following seas. :'(
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

bravhrt

I was looking forward to hoisting a pint with Sam next weekend in Cheyenne. Now we'll be toasting to the remembrance of this Patriot & dedicated Son of Liberty. Requiescat in pace!
I tell you true, liberty is the best of all things. Never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. ~ William Wallace

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. ~ Wyatt Earp

Let us drop talking and get on with our work. ~ Michael Collins

Rifleman - 09.13.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
Pistoleer™ - 10.17.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
IBC - 03.27-28.21 @ Larkspur, CO
Pistol IBC - 05.14-15.21 @ Otto Road Shooting Range
KD Rifleman & Morgan's Shingle - 10.02.22 @ Ben Lomond GC

The Wolfhound

I only knew of him through the forum and from his contributions updating manuals.  He did the work and carried his load.  Can we ask anymore?  God grant you rest.

Monkey

Quote from: MOIt's my belief that Colonial Shooter is in heaven sharing a pint with men like Revere and Adams... and they bought the first round.

:yeahthat:

I can only hope that I have the endurance and fortitude to carry the water he did, esp. in the face of all his other life challenges.

Rest well, brother.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Ramblin' Wreck

Not sure how much easier it will make Berk's job but I will be there for the trifecta weekend to assist. I will be bringing some of Tennessee's finest to raise a toast to Sam after the event for those who are prone to do such things.
Ramblin' Wreck

Quote from: sleepy on May 06, 2021, 11:11:55 PMSam was a patriot and a leader. He knew his day was coming, and he worked to leave the best possible organization behind him to continue bailing. Now that he's gone, I think of all of the little (and big) ways I've dropped the ball and added to his stress or workload.

Berk has the ball for the short term. Anyone who is able to step up and help make his job easier has my gratitude.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Mike Nollett

Sam was the guy that helped me shoot Riflemen  and awarded me the patch. Rest in Peace Sam.  :'(
"You'll never learn how to shoot, until you learn to shoot fundamentally"- Patrick McDonough

VietVet

Only knew Colonial Shooter via the forum but what a shock.
Very sad to hear this. I know he will be missed.
Prayers for his family and our Appleseed Family. 🙏🏻
RIP CS.  😢
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Instructor Scheduling

Dang.
Sam did an unbelievable job. He took the number of instructors that an average size state would have, and covered a very large chunk of the country with it. We had phone calls & texts, chuckling at the absurdity of it. Yet he pulled it off.

Hearing about the feasts that he would throw at his place made me jealous of the folks in his neck of the woods.

Rest in peace, Sam. Your work here is done.

Please let us know if there's a way that we can reach out to his family.

Instructor Scheduling / Nashville Stage

pennys dad

Guntuckian

Only knew him from the forum, but he had long been a stalwart presence.  He will be missed.  RIP, sir.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

TaosGlock

The world and Project Appleseed lost a great patriot and leader.
Rest in peace brother.
Know that the standards you set will further the mission of liberty.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

WhitePaladin

Sam is a good man.  I met him while I visited Wyoming for the Train the Trainer Pistol event.  We lost a good one.  Rest In Peace, Sam.  You will be missed. 

Mercedes

Just learned from the June newsletter that Sam has passed.  My heart is broken.

Mr. Aufbau

I remember the first time I talked to Sam here on the forum in 2008 about coming to an AS event- I was a 13 year old cook at the time. Knowing Sam over the years was a privilege. Rest in peace, Sam.
"Crackheads hustle for straight days to get a rock. No sleep or food. You ever work that hard for something? Don't get outworked by a crackhead."

M1bzrk

I'm way late to add my condolences, but here they are.  Sam started (by kicking my foot, endlessly) down the Appleseed Trail in 2009.
Finally shot Rifleman on the 5th day of RBC Douglas - must have been to give my right leg a rest.  Only after he died did I realise how much he did for US from his wheelchair, not just in Wyoming, but for Appleseed in toto.
He was a real Patriot and is greatly missed.  I am grateful for all his help over the years.  Surely he is proud to have made MI!
RIP old friend.