News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Denver, CO - AAR - Apr 10-11, 2021

Started by Captain, April 11, 2021, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

As we commemorate our second Patriot's Day under COVID, a sold out event gathered at the Skyline Hunting and Fishing Club in Denver to start the 2021 Appleseed season here in Colorado. Springtime weather here in the Front Range can be unpredictable but we were blessed with an incredible weekend of sunshine and pleasant temperatures (and a little gust of wind) to hear the stories of April 19th 1775 and to celebrate the tradition of American Marksmanship!

I'll work on posting the pictures I was able to take. You can click on them to see the full size photo and click again to shrink down. I'd also encourage any of the participants to post and thoughts, photos or comments into the thread. Registering for the forum is free and it also provides the ability to be notified when there is a post to the Colorado Appleseed thread, so you'll be the first to know when new events are planned or posted in Colorado (or nearby in New Mexico/Wyoming).

And for those who were asking, our next event with available slots is a Rimfire Known Distance up in Boulder on May 22, 2021. This is a one day event where we'll work on mastering our rimfire rifles out past 25 meters. Sign up today! :)

Group photo at the end of Day 1

Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.

I will post more pictures as I catch up.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

This event couldn't have been at a better venue - Skyline Hunting and Fishing Club. This club on the edge of metro Denver is a great supporter of Appleseed; we are the only outside organization to host events at this private range. On top of that, the range charges no range fee to Appleseed or the shooters! The facilities are top notch and seem to enjoy incremental improvement every time we are on the range. It says a lot that several of the club board members are also Appleseed volunteers/instructors! Thank you SHFC for your awesome support!

HUZZAH!

Captain

After a quick introduction, we got busy with our initial safety briefing and then got down to some shooting. Even though we proposed making some adjustments to conserve ammo, everyone in this group had sufficient ammo and wanted to go ahead with the normal course of fire, so we got busy embracing the uniquely American heritage of rifle marksmanship.

Safety - first on the range, first at every Appleseed!

First challenge of the day - Redcoats!

After the first Hits Count target on Saturday, Steven showed everyone he was there to shoot! He was the first shooter in Colorado to earn the Saratoga Quarter depicting British General John Burgoyne surrendering his sword to General Horatio Gates of the Continental Army at Saratoga, New York - which renewed hope for American independence and secured support from France. Nice work!

A "clean" target!

Saratoga Quarter

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.~ Samuel Adams

Captain

Most of the first day was spent learning the fundamentals of precision marksmanship in three different "field positions" - prone, sitting/kneeling and standing.

Despite spending so much time lying on our mats, everyone seemed to get tired. :)

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."― Edmund Burke.

Captain

After a morning of napping on the ground (aka prone position), we worked on shooting from a sitting/kneeling and standing position.

"Our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious liberty." - Samual Adams

That is a sobering thought to keep in mind today, as well.

Captain

Of course, an Appleseed is about much more that learning to shoot better. We also shared the story of April 19th, 1775 and learned how high a price our founders put on liberty. To think these men and women and teenagers would risk everything to secure a freedom for those they could never meet. Surely their sacrifice needs to be honored by every generation who would call themselves Americans.

Captain

As our first day came to an end, we had an opportunity to test our new skills against the Appleseed Qualification Test or AQT.

It is not because things are difficult
that we do not dare.
It is because we do not dare
that they are difficult.
~ Seneca

After the dust had settled, our first "Rifleman" emerged. Cyrelle made a 225 on her first effort and would make the score many more times over the course of the weekend showing she was certainly among those, "who know very well what they are about!" She was the first to receive the limited edition Rifleman's patch that is only available to those who qualify at a Patriot's Day event. Nice shooting!

Cyrelle with the first limited edition Rifleman's Patch!

Captain

When we started the second half of our weekend, the wind was determined to take the rifles downrange all by itself. After collecting all of our gear and weighing it down with rock and tires and anything else, we got back to work with a review of the previous day. It was nearly lunch before we got to another AQT.

The second AQT of Sunday produced 3 more Rifleman scores and 3 more patches! Nice shooting Will, Steven and Ty!

We did have to get another picture of Ty though. Because he scored Rifleman with a score of exactly 210, long-standing Appleseed tradition required a little taste of water from the North Bridge. Congrats again Ty!!!

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated. - Thomas Paine

Captain

At lunch on Sunday, we shared some short stories about lesser known heros from the American Revolution. We also talked about continuing the Rifleman's journey and taking action to protect this fragile gift of Liberty that we've been so blessed to inherit. A little more shooting and it was time for the Memorial Volley. Shoots in April are special as we take a moment to reflect on the fallen from the 19th of April in 1775. With a full firing line of shooters and instructors, we remembered each name and fired a shot in their honor. It was a somber moment but a great moment to share with this gathered group of Appleseeders.

Before the end of our day together, we took notice of two of our younger shooters, Cyrelle and Ashley. Cyrelle put up score after score above 210 and Ashley (not her first ‘seed) preserved the entire weekend and made progress to just outside that final score which would see her with a new Patch. I don't think anything will stop her - she will have that patch because "Rifleman Persists" and so does she!

It was a pleasure having both of you out on the line this weekend and I hope to see you both at another Appleseed again soon!

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. ~
Napoleon Hill

Captain

As our Appleseed ended, I was reminded once again that the best part of an Appleseed is the great people you meet. I'm glad I was able to be a part of this weekend with the rest of the Colorado Appleseed Cadre and everyone who came out to participate. I hope some of you will take this opportunity to join our forum and leave some comments or observations. And get signed up for future events!

Two of our new Riflemen have already inquired about becoming volunteers and helping to spread the Appleseed message of liberty. Will and Steven, we'll have those orange hats waiting at your next event! And for anyone else who might be interested, take a moment to look through our forum and get in contact so we can answer your questions and show you how to take that next step!

Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it - John Adams

zuke

It was a great event.  Congratulations to those that made riflemen.  It was my first chance to support a Patriot's Day event and I was inspired by the extra recognition of those that fought and fell that day.

S F Steve

Thanks Captain, Zuke, Ken, and Colby! This was my first Appleseed and turned out to be an incredible weekend! Marksmanship with a side of Liberty, or is it the other way around? Turns out, they go hand in hand.

The range at Skyline H&F was great, thanks to those that made it possible.

The 'Patriots Day' theme and event were great reminders of the sacrifices made for our freedom.

I am looking forward to improving my skills and attending my next Appleseed!

Captain

Glad you made it out S F Steve. Welcome to the forum and nice work to score Rifleman at your very first Appleseed! That's not very common. I see you're also signed up for the Rimfire KD next month in Boulder so we'll see you there!

Ramblin' Wreck

Looks like a terrific event. I hope to make it out that way one day to share a line with you.
Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Lead Sled

What a great weekend! Thanks to everyone who attended and a big congratulations to all that shot rifleman. I had a great time meeting all of you, shooting with you and talking about liberty! Thanks Captain for putting on another great event. Can't wait for the next one!
"Failure is not an option." - Gene Kranz

sleepy

Wow! Captain is always putting on these great shoots.

And here I am in Laramie, where they put on great shoots and don't even bother to invite me...

I'll have to get down your way sometimes this summer.