News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua OH March 27-28, 2021 Pistol Clinic AAR

Started by Shep, April 02, 2021, 02:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

Our first Appleseed Pistol Clinic, which was open to the public at the Piqua Fish and Game, was a big success. The shoot sold out early and we had a full line of freedom loving Americans who wanted to experience the new Pistol program.  Most shooters had already been through the Appleseed rifle course, which helped everything run very quickly and smoothly.

Saturday's weather was nearly perfect, sunny skies and afternoon temperatures in the sixties. However, Sunday's forecast looked rather grim, so we moved the instruction along, had some great presentations of the three strikes, and were also able to shoot three Pistol Qualification Tests (PQT's) on Saturday with great results. Four shooters earned their Pistoleer™ patches; Rumnar scored 214, Austin L. scored 226 and reconfirmed with 213 and 230, Tom T. shot a 211 and reconfirmed several times over the weekend with the highest being an impressive 240. Meadow earned his patch with a 213 and reconfirmed Sunday with a 222.

Nighttime rain made the puddles a little deeper and the mud rather gooey for Sunday morning. Winds continued to increase throughout the day gusting to about thirty miles per hour with temperatures in the lower forties. But nothing seemed to dampen the spirits of those on the line. One shooter, Darold, cleared the morning Red Coat while others showed nice improvement over Saturday's scores.

We worked more on stance, grip, and magazine changes with plastic trainers before moving on to live fire drills. Then it was back to PQT's where we got three completed before lunch. After lunch we had a team shoot; two shooters per team with ten rounds each were to fire one shot into a target with ten circles of different sizes, one round into each  black circle per shooter. Forty seconds were allowed, and only hits in the black were counted. The father and son team of John and Austin were the winners with eighteen hits out of the twenty. Four more PQT's were shot and more history told before ending the day with the final Red Coat. One more Pistoleer™ Patch was awarded on Sunday and it went to Jingo with a nice score of 223. We had three shooters clear the afternoon redcoat, Darold, Tom and Austin.

Great improvement was seen over the two days. Just as with Appleseed rifle instruction, the pistol program works in layers of instruction to build a great foundation for proficiency.  Sidney was completely new to pistol shooting, but by Sunday afternoon she was handling her new Glock 9mm like a pro, I'm sure a Pistoleer™ patch is in her future if she wishes.

Thanks so much to our great crew of instructors, Third Degree, Devilkitty, Doc Willi, Lil Dragon, ChiefLane, and Shadow870.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Photos
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Photos

Shep

Photos

Shep

Photos

Shadow870

I was a very good event! I didn't get as many images as I would have liked, but here are the two that were worth anything.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of both tyrants and patriots. - Thomas Jefferson

Third Degree

I echo everything Shep said about the Piqua event.

We had a great group of shooters that focused on applying the principals taught during instruction. The results were impressive.

One shooter (Joe) was just on the edge of Pistoleer™ with a 209 score. That was his high point for the event, but I am sure he will return to earn the patch.

Clearing the Red Tombstone is as tough as the PQT. Darold cleared the "stones", but plateaued on the PQT. I am thinking he will also return.

Congratulations to Meadow on earning his patch. Now that makes 2 qualified pistol instructors in Northwest Ohio.

Many thanks to Shep, who ran a well organized event. I look forward to returning to Piqua.

Finally, I just cleared the mud from my (new) shoes yesterday. That was a lot of mud!

REDACTED

Wow,
The shooter in the second image is Rocking the Iconic 22 pistol, the Smith 41!
Never in Writing, Always in Cash!