News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Rocky Mountain IBC 3/26- 28/21

Started by colonial shooter, March 28, 2021, 07:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonial shooter

Wow! That is all I can say for the first day of this momentous event. 14 energetic instructors covering 3 states(Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming met in Larkspur, CO to brush off the rust and dust from a long winter and Covid year. If the attendance is an indication of how CO cadre are dealing with things, they are going to have a great , and busy year.It was good to meet all the new faces and even better to see some "old timers" coming out of retirement after taking a hiatus for a few years. Thanks for CO Pete, Franktown_kid, One shot 0ne hole, and prone to Knit for coming back to help save the country!!

Did I mention the food? OH my, If you are still hungry, you aren't trying. Our Host, Captain started the weekend by baking several loaves of fresh (and delicious) sour dough bread, Followed by dinner... Steaks scalloped potatoes and fresh salad. That was just Friday night. Saturday started out a bit dusty. As Captain started by making biscuits from scratch, yummy!

After filling up , the lessons began. A great outline led to many discussions and break out groups to go over the covered materials. Not a dull moment here!. Lunch was again provided and did not disappoint. More classes and break out sessions followed by dinner. A treat to say the least. Homemade individual pizzas!!! Tomorrow is on tract to be even better. More to follow Pictures also!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Captain

What a great way to kick off Appleseed for 2021! We had 18 Appleseeders from Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico who were able to be a part of the event which started unofficially on Friday with a steak dinner with our Shoot Boss for the event - Colonial Shooter. Originally, no more than 4 or 5 were expected to make it on a busy Friday after work but almost everyone came out for "early registration" and a chance to catch up and get ready for the weekend proper. It also started what would become a weekend of food with a total of 2 breakfasts, lunches and dinners with some great company out in the foothills of Colorado.

After breakfast together on Saturday, the IBC proper kicked off. By the end of the morning, everyone was off in small groups working on teaching different points of instruction. Red Hats, shoot bosses and IITs working together to become better instructors and better messengers of liberty.

The weekend was made extra special with participation of several Appleseeders who were active at the start of Appleseed in Colorado. Of course, Colorado Pete came out to lend his expertise to help the newer folks get better and thinking about some events he'd like to organize out in a part of the state where Appleseed has been inactive for a few years. I couldn't find my copy of his book Shooter's Guide to Rifle Marksmanship to get him to sign but I'll have it the next time we see each other on the trail. We also had Franktown_Kid (the first Colorado State Coordinator) come out with the intention of getting back on the Appleseed trail . . . eight years after his last event! He's a guy who showed up with an entire box containing instructor and history notes. He's also talking about getting some shoots set up at Ramah - a range that hasn't seen an Appleseed since 2016!  Finally, we also had Oneshot_onehole and Prone to Knit. They were the State Coordinator team after Franktown_Kid and managed to put on shoots at every possible range in the state. There were big shoots (including one with 142 shooters!!!) and shoots with just 2 or 3 shooters. They said the secret to their success was they always said yes! They are the masters of IAO. It was really inspiring to spend get some time with these Colorado Appleseeders and it was evident that the fire of liberty is still burning hot in each of their hearts. Thanks for coming out and sharing your experiences.

I only managed to get a few pictures from the weekend and I will try to post a few more as I get caught up for now here is a group picture taken at the end of Day 1 (minus Captain Parker). You can click to see large and then click again to shrink down.

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

There were some pictures of Appleseeders working in breakout groups and presenting different POIs.

Cc45 teaching like a pro, even before working his first event

Franktown_Kid is officially "unretired" and ready to hit the trail while pumping some iron

Colorado Pete talks about sight picture and how to BBQ the perfect steak

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."― Edmund Burke.

Captain

Everyone had a chance to teach and get some good feedback.

"Our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious liberty." - Samual Adams

That is a sobering thought to keep in mind today, as well.

sleepy

A few more IBCs like this and we'll have a waiting list for shooters wanting to come aboard as cadre...likely covering a eight state area. Between colonialshooter's leadership & admin (and cooking) skills and Captain's instruction (and cooking) skills, I think we have a great team running the central Rockies.

Upsides:
-we reviewed & refined skills.
-we had a chance to hang with old friends.
-we had a chance to hang with new friends.
-quality time with man's best friends (Dacks & Max)
-truly awesome chow!

Downside:
-my trousers don't fit anymore; time for exercise!

Snow Snake

How I wish I could have been there.
  ( If wishes were horses then beggars would ride).
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Lead Sled

What a great weekend! I appreciated the chance to practice instructing, talk about the history and to get some invaluable insight from those with much more experience than myself. What a great group with a great passion for marksmanship and liberty. I feel inspired and excited for what's to come this year. Also, the food was downright excellent! Many thanks to Captain and colonial shooter for making this happen.
"Failure is not an option." - Gene Kranz

Captain

BoxMag1 got the award for driving the furthest to attend the IBC and took home a cool flag for his efforts. Glad you made it!

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.

Captain

We also awarded a few "Colorado Cadre" patches to folks attending their first event since we started this tradition last year!

L to R - BoxMag1, Colorado Pete, Scoped It Out, Captain (me), Franktown_Kid

Interested in a Colorado Patch! It's easy, volunteer at one of our events or attend a Boot Camp.

Captain

The last presentation went to the Shoot Boss - Colonial Shooter. It's a bottle of whisky distilled in Colorado and signed by all of us participants.

Thanks again for coming down to Colorado to spend the weekend with us and make this event possible.

If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed. ~ Thomas Jefferson

BoxMag1

Really a great weekend to get squared away on presentation skills and catch up with fellow Appleseed-ers!  Rob is a cultured gentleman who cooked up some great meals and opened his home to all of us.

Thanks Captain!

bravhrt

An outstanding event indeed. Kudos to Captain for the hospitality and to Colonial Shooter for making it all happen.
Looking forward to employing some of those newly learned skills at the Patriot's Day weekend shoot @ PPGC.
I tell you true, liberty is the best of all things. Never live beneath the noose of a servile halter. ~ William Wallace

Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. ~ Wyatt Earp

Let us drop talking and get on with our work. ~ Michael Collins

Rifleman - 09.13.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
Pistoleer™ - 10.17.2020 @ Pikes Peak GC
IBC - 03.27-28.21 @ Larkspur, CO
Pistol IBC - 05.14-15.21 @ Otto Road Shooting Range
KD Rifleman & Morgan's Shingle - 10.02.22 @ Ben Lomond GC