News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Women's History Month 2021 - Nancy Morgan Hart

Started by Mrs. Smith, March 10, 2021, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Good morning and welcome back to Project Appleseed's Women's History Month series on Revolutionary War Heroines! This week we are remembering a fierce woman named Nancy Morgan Hart.

Nancy Morgan Hart was described as a 6 ft tall, feisty, cross-eyed, redheaded woman. She was a physically strong woman and very intelligent, despite being illiterate. As a Patriot, Nancy was always looking for ways to aid her fellow Americans. One of her favorite ways to do this was through spy work.  Nancy would dress in her husband's clothes, enter British camps pretending to be "feeble-minded" and relay the information to the Patriots. She did this many times, but Nancy's most famous act of heroism occurred while she was at home.

One afternoon, a group of 6 British soldiers stopped by Nancy's farm while her husband was away. The British soldiers arrived on her doorstep holding the carcass of her prize-winning turkey and they demanded she cook it for them. Although she was furious, she quickly devised a plan. She invited the soldiers in and began cooking for them. While preparing the meal, Nancy instructed her daughter to tend to the men and ensure they had plenty of beer to drink.

After eating essentially a hearty Thanksgiving meal, the British soldiers promptly fell asleep. While the men were asleep, Nancy sent her daughter to sound the alarm to their neighbors by blowing a conch shell. At the same time, Nancy began to confiscate the soldiers' muskets by passing them through a hole in the wall. At the sound of the conch shell, the soldiers began to wake up. One soldier charged Nancy; she presented arms and warned him to back down. He did not listen, so she shot and killed him! At the sound of this, another soldier started to charge her. Nancy picked up another musket and warned him to surrender. This soldier was not a very fast learner, and was shot and wounded after charging her. When Nancy's neighbors finally arrived to her aid, they found Nancy holding the remaining 5 British soldiers at gunpoint. Not long after, The remaining soldiers were hanged and buried nearby.

The bodies of these soldiers were found on the Hart farm in 1912. Nancy Morgan Hart was a great heroine and provided immeasurable aid to the Patriots in both this act and through her spy work. She is one of Georgia's most famous state heroines.

References:
Debra Michals, PhD at www.womenshistory.org
American Battlefield Trust at www.battlefields.org
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

CarrollMS

Proud of my wife's 5th great-grand aunt Nancy Ann Morgan Hart.  She was a cousin to General Daniel Morgan, and Daniel Boone's mother, Sarah Jarman Morgan. Her sister Leah Morgan married William Scholl, who brought his family to Boonesboro, KY with the first settlers, and fought in the Rev War with others at Boonesborough and Scholl Station. Nancy Hart also came to Kentucky in 1803 and settled in Henderson County along the Ohio River south of Evansville. She was buried there in 1830.
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Mrs. Smith

I'd be proud too, sir!  My father in law has found evidence indicating an ancestor of theirs may have fought in Lexington, on the hill at Parker's Revenge. It's amazing!

Quote from: CarrollMS on March 10, 2021, 11:32:55 PM
Proud of my wife's 5th great-grand aunt Nancy Ann Morgan Hart.  She was a cousin to General Daniel Morgan, and Daniel Boone's mother, Sarah Jarman Morgan. Her sister Leah Morgan married William Scholl, who brought his family to Boonesboro, KY with the first settlers, and fought in the Rev War with others at Boonesborough and Scholl Station. Nancy Hart also came to Kentucky in 1803 and settled in Henderson County along the Ohio River south of Evansville. She was buried there in 1830.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

CarrollMS

OUTSTANDING!
It has been a blessing to me to connect with our ancestors who supported the great and glorious cause of Freedom and Independence. I would encourage every American with colonial ties to investigate their heritage.   I am glad to hear of your connection to Lexington.  The Battle Road and Parker's Revenge site is one of my quests before I depart this life! Along with some other venues of our ancestors like Blue Licks, Kings Mountain, and Cowpens. In the Army, we called them Staff Rides and would study the strategy and tactics in order to learn from their experiences.  Parker's Revenge was a classic ambush with good cover, concealment, surprise, and economy of force operation.
BTW - I keep the stories of our heroines in a notebook at our shoots, and whenever I get a chance, but especially when we have lassies present, share their stories so that they may relate to the great work of our ancestors.

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 12, 2021, 08:43:01 AM
I'd be proud too, sir!  My father in law has found evidence indicating an ancestor of theirs may have fought in Lexington, on the hill at Parker's Revenge. It's amazing!

"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Mrs. Smith

That's a wonderful practice!

If you make it to battle road, you should also take the Freedom Trail walking tour of Boston. It starts at the Common and ends at Faneuil Hall. Well worth a couple hours on your feet!

I hope you enjoy the rest of our Women's History Month posts. There's a new one every week in March  :)

malabar

WOW!  That's some pedigree.

tk

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003