News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Stones River HEC, Antioch, TN; Instructors-Only Pistol Clinic/IBC; March 5, 2021

Started by BluegrassColonel, March 08, 2021, 08:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluegrassColonel

12 Instructor-shooters turned out for the first Tennessee Instructor-Only Pistol Clinic IBC.  Booney Stomper served as Instructor Cadre and Black Knight served as Applecore.  Instructor-shooters assisted with clearing the line (special thanks to Old Navy Doc).

This facility has an excellent classroom with media.  The range is a mixed use site and one of 3 firearm ranges at the facility.  The other two (2) are dedicated rifle and pistol ranges respectively.  There is also an archery range on the grounds.  We are fortunate to have a very good relationship with the range staff, and special thanks should be given to managing Officer Tim Turrentine, who has been very welcoming and accommodating to us.

The cool weather was not unusual for an early March day, but since the range is on J. Percy Priest Reservoir, the wind can be unpredictable and very gusty at times.  That, of course, can affect the perceived temperature.  By the end of the day the temperature and dropped quite a bit and layers of clothes and coats were dawned.

Due to the structure of the shooting booths on the range, it was necessary to transport picnic tables and folding tables to the firing line.  The Instructor-shooters pitched in and made it happen.  That, of course, will be a consideration for the Shoot Bosses of future shoots at this range.

The Instructor-shooters were attentive and involved.

Three (3) Instructor-shooters earned their Pistoleer™ badges: JPL, Old Navy Doc (re-qualified), and Hard Bean.  Huzzah, Instructors!  Several are knocking on the door.  Pistoleer™s are persistent!

There were consistent positive comments by the Instructor-shooters regarding this type of event being offered by Project Appleseed and for the Course of Fire.
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

BluegrassColonel

My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

Eagle Keeper

I originally discounted this course of fire because it's set at a distance of only 21 feet.
It's a mistake I won't make twice....challenging and engaging.
I have come here to chew gum and teach riflemen the art of shooting one hole groups and I'm all out of bubblegum.
   Z-man
You can't shoot perfect if you don't know what perfect looks like.
     Somebody

Old Navy Doc

This was a wonderful course that focused on the many facets of acquiring accurate fire. The classroom facilities were outstanding. The Pistol Clinic is extremely challenging and has given me wonderful dry fire drills to do at home.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

JPL

Hardbean

It's always a pleasure to spend time with a group of Appleseed Instructors.  Even though the instruction was condensed to help it fit into a one day course, there was still plenty of instruction that helped improve my pistol skills.  I'm very excited to finally go through the Pistol Clinic.  I look forward to helping instruct someday soon!

Additionally, this is a wonderful facility.  We shot on a rifle range that had a covered shoot line.  However, the shooting line tables had 1/4" thick steel plate hanging over the benches which prevented a standing posture.  As BluegrassColonel mentioned, the Appleseeders adapted by gathering tables and moving the shooting line closer to the existing target line.

Black Knight

This was a great Instructor Pistol event!!  Temperatures dropped rapidly in the afternoon, but that did not dim shooter enthusiasm.  We are looking forward to the next Pistol IBC!!
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Black Knight

The Appleseed Pistol Qualification Test is demanding but three instructors out of ten qualified!!  The rest are anxiously awaiting the next opportunity.
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021