News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR El Paso, Texas, Feb 20-21, 2021

Started by Mrs. Smith, February 28, 2021, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Smith

Hear ye, hear ye!   Come one, come all, to hear the tale of seven intrepid souls who assembled in El Paso, Texas to learn more about our Liberty, our History, and the art and science that is fundamental rifle marksmanship!

Inside the state of the art facility of the El Paso Community College Law Enforcement Training Academy Shooting Range, Mike, Shannon, Greg, Mark, Amanda, Colin, and Jonathan gave us their valuable time and attention. In turn, we gave them our energy, our industry, and the fruits of the labors of hundreds of Project Appleseed instructors.  From steady hold factors, to the Six Steps to firing the shot, to Inches/Minutes/Clicks, we endeavored to impart the skills needed to successfully tackle the challenges to come.

Along the way they learned the story of the first labor pains leading to the birth of our nation. Of the ordinary people who found themselves capable of extraordinary acts of courage and determination in the face of overwhelming odds.  The prices paid, over and over, in blood and sacrifice, so that that we, their posterity, can be free.  They learned of the critical role that Citizens play in the Governmental process, and some effective ways to serve that role.  In the words of founding father John Adams, we hope they will make good use of it 
:1luvu :F

Our students ranged in age from 11 to 50, from very experienced to very INexperienced.  Colin and son Jonathan traveled here from Lubbock. Greg and Mark made the trek all the way from Iowa!  I can only conclude that readily available food, fuel, and electricity may have been a factor, :cool2: given how harshly other areas of the country were affected by the severe arctic storm.  By the time they got to us, we were having balmy 65 degree days, so they were able to thaw out and enjoy some Far West Texas sunshine.

Stats, stats, stats!

Only the first Redcoat of the weekend resulted in students "taking the bayonet" for the rest of us!  After that, EVERYONE scored three hits on target at least once per Redcoat.  Huzzah!  Furthermore, THREE of our determined folks CLEARED the Redcoat, including the Morgan's Shingle, at least once. To Greg, Shannon, and Colin we say HUZZAH! They earned the admiration of their fellows and a little bonus in the form of an uncirculated Battle of Saratoga quarter. This quarter commemorates the surrender of British General John Burgoyne (via proxy) to American commander Maj. General Horatio Gates following the Second Battle of Saratoga.  Appleseeders have a special regard for that battle, as it's the one at which Timothy Murphy made his history-changing rifle shots.  Many special thanks to the Pennsylvania crew for coming up with that smashing practice, which I stole shamelessly and unapologetically  :bow: :cool2:  You can read the story of the Surrender at https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1306.html

Didn't I say something about... Challenges?

Oh, right, CHALLENGES!

The Appleseed Qualification Test is the anvil against which Riflemen are forged, and this weekend did NOT disappoint.  We tracked the progress of each student, from lowest AQT scores to highest, and WOW did we see some awesome improvements!  Over the course of five AQTs;

Colin raised his score 30 points, to a high of 212. Rifleman!!!!
Mark raised his score 36 points, to a high of 164
young Jonathan raised his score 41 points, to a high of 121
Amanda raised her score 50 points, to a high of 173
and Mike raised his score 69 points, to a high of 197.  Woo Hoo! Knocking on that door, Mike!
Greg and Shannon both distinguished themselves well, with each gentleman scoring Rifleman ALL FIVE TIMES!

Ladies and gents, these folks are living proof that Riflemen DO PERSIST!

It was our honor a privilege to spend our weekend with these fine folks, and we dearly hope to see them again soon.

Please join me in a salute to their strength and determination.

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

In Liberty,
Traci
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Jerry Hall

I just wish more of Y'all could have been there!!!  :F  :snipersmi  :F
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Mrs. Smith

:pics:

A couple shots of the EPCC Law Enforcement Range facility
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Jerry relates the Third Strike in the west Texas sunshine.

Mrs. Smith

Jonathan worked hard for his Road To Rifleman certificate and score.  Next time, Waco! 

Mrs. Smith

Riflemen!!!

(sorry for the pic quality - note to self - choose a different camera operator  ;D )

Beavertail

Very good weekend, although the weather could have been better for shooting 😉.  Just kidding; I like to tell friends and family the struggles of shooting at an indoor range.  It was a great weekend.  I got to dip my toes into the water for my first event as a member of Applecore.  Got to reunite with some folks that I met at the last event.  Really just hang out, listen to stories, and shoot.  It just never gets old, and I pick up something new everytime. 

I do have one recommendation.  It's probably been discussed, and maybe even been done before, but maybe recognize the other levels.  There seems to be mostly recognition for Rifleman, and you are either Rifleman or you're not.  But, those who scored Marksman for the first time or improved from Marksman to Sharpshooter....   I know the program can afford to do patches for everything - just a thought.  This is more for Appleseed as a whole, because I think you guys did a good job of it - tons of recognition and categories and goodies (cleared Red Coat, Most Improved, Future Rifleman, Rifleman). 
"Too many people learn about war with no inconvenience to themselves. They read about [it] sitting in a comfortable armchair, with their feet beside the fire.  One should read about war in the worst circumstances, when everything is going badly." - Guy Sajer

Burnett

I had a good time. Turns out, El Paso is a long way from north central Iowa. We were a bit worried about the weather as there was actual snow cover until about 50-60 miles outside of El Paso. Where I live, we had had a week or so where the temp didn't get above 0°F and was down to -28°F a couple of mornings so the temps down south were appreciated.
The indoor range was pretty cool. I had fired on indoor ranges, but not an Appleseed. Lighting could have been a tad better and the ventilation was LOUD, but…
Cadre did well I suppose. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't huge quantities of BBQ provided. I mean, it is Texas after all. Right? But other than that they did do well.
I was one of the ones that "took a bayonet" on Saturday morning with a redcoat score of ZERO. I failed to dial my scope back from 200 yards and as a result was right at 8 inches high. I did shoot it clean on Sunday morning though. We only got 5 AQTs in which was the lowest number I have shot at an event, but that's OK. I scored my first one as a 209 but either Traci or Andy scored it as a 210. I was pleased to score my new high of 232; now chasing the distinguished. My Ruger Custom Competition 10/22 ran almost flawlessly with only one failure to extract.
A couple of things about El Paso: Rosa's Cantina menu number 9B is GREAT. Rim Road is cool. Whatever the Mexican soda I bought was TERRIBLE.
All in all a good trip that I am glad we took.
Met a number of good people, which seems to be a pattern at Appleseeds.
Thank you to Mrs. Smith and her peons.
You should come up to Iowa for a shoot sometime.

Burnett
(Greg)

Teacher915

I had a great time and again learned so much!!  I look forward to going again.

Mike

Cold Warrior

Huzzah!
And Traci, your AARs continue to be fabulous!  O0

Dave K
:cool2:
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred