News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How you can help in GA

Started by sanderman79, March 03, 2009, 12:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanderman79

I was trying to get some things started in GA so we can get this state moving forward and more people coming to Appleseeds.

1. We need more than 2 sites that we can hold Appleseeds at.  We have 2 great sites now, but we only have 6 AS planned for this year.  I would like to double that number, but at least get one more site.  We need one in the middle of the state and also it would be great to have one on the west side.

2. We need to have a Promotions Team for each site that we hold an Appleseed at.  What the team would do is to make sure that there is good coverage of all the local places that will allow us to post a flyer and to see if it can be posted in the newspaper or community paper.

3. We need to have a Gun Show Team. I think that we could reach even more people if we had a booth at the local gun shows.  If you have been to a gun show recently you have seen how busy they are and how many people are buying rifles. They should know about Appleseed and now that we can teach them how to use that rifle.

4. We need a Internet Team. We need  4-6 guys/gals to start web searching for contact info for parties/groups that would be interested in attending an Appleseed. Spend an hour a day, for 3-4 days, compiling a list of persons/groups to contact. Also to respond to replies and make sure that the emails go to the right people.

5. Finally we need to increase our Instructor Corp so we can cover our own sites and help the surrounding states. We can get a Instructor Boot Camp together if we can have at least 4 people to be there.

So there are the things that I think we need to get the ball rolling in GA. Most of this is easy to do, but very important for us to do. PM me if you can help or have any ideas of anything else we can do to help GA to double like the rest of the program.

Raymon

yonah

Hi,
I am interested in developing a program for gunshows. I looked into how many shows are occuring in GA between now and the end of the year. There are 25 shows. I don't think I can do it alone but I am willing to make a start and do at least one show per month. I think we will need a team in south gawga and  one or two teams in north gawga. If no one has stepped up and volunteer to do this job, I could coordinate the development, support, training and implementation of a gun show program. I have 10yrs of sales experience and presentation at local, state, regional and national sales shows. I would need help learning what resources we have available.  O0
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

sanderman79

Go for it Yonah.  I will see what I can get together for handouts for you.  We should try at the next show is Atlanta, those are really big shows and we might get them to give us a table.  That also gives us some time to get our acts together.

Raymon

yonah

My plan is to cover the Sept 26-27 Atlanta GOS, October 24-25 Marrietta Eastman, Nov 7-8 Gwinett Eastman, Nov 28-29 Lawrenceville GOS shows. Maybe one of the December shows. I will need as many flyers as we can get. If there is any $$$ to help with the registration fees that would also be helpful. Personnel as are available.

Fred

The people in CA seem to have no problem getting gun show organizers to give them a free table - maybe that can be done in GA?

Might work by approaching the gun show people with the fact we are a non-profit 501c3...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

yonah

Georgia has successfully displayed the Appleseed Project to the public at the recent Gunshow in Atlanta on Sept 26 & 27. Many former attendees of Appleseeds stopped by to say hello. Many visitors to our both expressed an interest and or intent to attend an Appleseed event soon. We had flyers for the 4 events in Georgia this year and the National flier for people to take home. Fliers on what to bring as well as how to build an LTR were available. On display was my daughters LTR to help visitors understand and handle an LTR. Hopefully this will increase the turn out for Georgia events.

SamD

Start looking here
http://www.wheretoshoot.org/
and here
http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp.

That will give you list of around 100 to play with.
I'm sure there are some state/county operated ranges available to play with too.

Sam

Appalacious

WOw Sam.  Thanks that gave me a lot more leads. 

I'm also making progress with the WMA range in Bleckley Co.

J
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Gearhack

This is Gearhack and I just threw my hat into the IIT ring.

jollymeister

..--.

Son of Martha

OK guys--don't forget about your rat-killin'...

While the IBC that Appalachious and Sanderman set up is a BIG step for us, we still need more venues.  It would be a crying shame for Appleseed to come to a halt in GA because of a change in administration at a gun club or somesuch nonsense.

Need more places to hold Appleseeds!  Get the OK, we will come.  Need help getting the OK, pm Sanderman or me.

Let's fix it so that you can get to an Appleseed with less than a 90 minute drive for Georgians this year!

Gunshows are needful also.  Shucks, you're gonna GO anyway, aintcha?  Might as well get a table, print out some flyers, and spread the word.  Thanks big time to you gentlemen who are doing just that already.

Whoo-Hoo.  Who knew saving the country could be so much fun?

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Appalacious

Well, its been a year, how we doin?

Quote from: sanderman79 on March 03, 2009, 12:14:44 AM
I was trying to get some things started in GA so we can get this state moving forward and more people coming to Appleseeds.

1. We need more than 2 sites that we can hold Appleseeds at.  We have 2 great sites now, but we only have 6 AS planned for this year.  I would like to double that number, but at least get one more site.  We need one in the middle of the state and also it would be great to have one on the west side.

We've had one in Hawkinsville (middle GA) and the DNR gave the impression we could have it anytime we wanted in the future.  And we're working on one in Brunswick to replace Hinesville.  We've also started in Augusta.  So now 4 locations.  I call that a good improvement, but we still lack West GA. Maybe FranklinFarmer can help us in that regard.

Quote from: sanderman79
2. We need to have a Promotions Team for each site that we hold an Appleseed at.  What the team would do is to make sure that there is good coverage of all the local places that will allow us to post a flyer and to see if it can be posted in the newspaper or community paper.

This still needs some work.  I've done some stuff for Hawkinsville, and I'm sure other red/orange hats have done some promoting, but we still need better numbers to help out.

3. We need to have a Gun Show Team. I think that we could reach even more people if we had a booth at the local gun shows.  If you have been to a gun show recently you have seen how busy they are and how many people are buying rifles. They should know about Appleseed and now that we can teach them how to use that rifle.

I think we have a gun show team, we just need some more communication with them.  How about Yonah or Snaphook start a thread for each gun show they plan to work, that way they can recruit some help and/or contributions.

4. We need a Internet Team. We need  4-6 guys/gals to start web searching for contact info for parties/groups that would be interested in attending an Appleseed. Spend an hour a day, for 3-4 days, compiling a list of persons/groups to contact. Also to respond to replies and make sure that the emails go to the right people.

What an excellent task for the ladies.  I'll let my wife know.  Of course, that shouldn't exclude others from helping :)

5. Finally we need to increase our Instructor Corps so we can cover our own sites and help the surrounding states. We can get a Instructor Boot Camp together if we can have at least 4 people to be there.

check.  Let's have another one later this year.  We can have it back in Hawk-ville if you want.

Looks like the past 12 months or so have been pretty productive.  Let's make that a trend and keep it goin.

dewigett

Just attended the Appleseed in Toccoa on June 12th.  Great training!  I have been telling my circle of friends about Appleseed.  I live in Kennesaw and am willing to help as I can with spreading the word in my local area about Appleseed.  Please let me know if there's anything specific to my area.  Also, I have a friend who has a small gun range on his property in Cartersville.  About 3/4 the width of the range that was used for the June 12th event in Toccoa.  I could ask him about having a smaller Appleseed event there.

Also, just wanted to shout out at Jesse, Jim, Dr. John, John, Jim (Flat Top), Sean (Friedenmeister) and all the rest of the instructors at the June 12th Appleseed.  Awesome job!
The Second Amendment - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

franklinfarmer

If you have advertising capabilities/outlets in Kennesaw, it would be good to get some fliers out for the upcoming shoot in West Georgia off of I-20 in Waco (between Bremen and Tallapoosa).  Those fliers can be downloaded and printed off from

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14251.0;attach=27117

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

dewigett

Will send out the flyers to folks I know in this area and also to folks out in Douglas County that I know and will ask them to forward it on to their network of friends.  Thanks!
The Second Amendment - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

dewigett

John, I shot out the flyer to about 120 of my friends who might be interested in the Waco Appleseed.  Got a few positive replies about it.  A friend of mine writes articles for TheTruthAboutGuns.com website.  He asked me if they could talk to someone about Project Appleseed to do a feature article on the training.  He didn't know if the publicity would be welcome or not.  I told him that I'm sure that a positive article would be a good thing to spread the word about Project Appleseed.  FYI

sanderman79

Way to go!!!!! Sounds good to me. Way to do that 7step.

Raymon

Son of Isaac

Hello,

I am new to this forum.  I am anxious to become involved in Appleseed.  I am a resident of Atlanta, GA resident and am willing to do just about anything I can to help.  I am an owner and proficient user of rifles, shotguns and handguns. 

I can provide immediate support in the following areas:
1.  Money
2.  Supply rifles for training
3.  Would like to become a volunteer instructor
4.  Gun show team

Can someone please provide me with guidance and tell me where I can be most useful?

Thanks!

cswhitfield

Welcome TravelPatriot,

I am a very new Appleseeder also.  Best direction I can offer is to PM sanderman79.  Also consider comming out to Toccoa this weekend and/or Waco Nov, 13&14.  All four areas of support you mention are needed and I am sure will be greatly appreciated.  Hope to meet you soon!

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Appalacious

Good to have you, TravelPatriot.  Definitely try to get to one of our upcoming shoots if you haven't already.  Lots of discussion/coordination happen at the shoots themselves.

Also, consider joining RWVA.  Membership dues are 20/year, but donations above that are always welcome.  We are a 501c3 non-profit, so donations are tax-deductible.

Gun-show team.  Usually involves cswhitfield, Col Barrett, and Yonah.  Usually you find these guys at appleseeds, so again, hope to see you there.

Feel free to start a thread on upcoming gun shows that you can attend.  Might be able to coordinate something that way.

Rifles:  Most instructors like the Marlin 795 as a trainer rifle.  Especially when fitted with tech-sights.  They're also economically priced. 

Welcome.

Col Barrett

Guys, there is a lot of good stuff in this thread. Georgia has picked up a lot of steam this year and we are really trying to get our neighbors off their couches and out to shoots.

We have put a lot of effort into gun shows and other gatherings of large groups of people. If you know of one coming near you, please let us know and we can plan to get supplies and other instructors out to help you. We are really focusing on gathering email addresses of people who learn of Appleseed, but have not yet attended a shoot. We are then keeping them up to date and in tune with upcoming shoots and a small newsflash from the previous Appleseed.

We are also working diligently to acquire new ranges. We have a couple in the works, but we could certainly use more here in Georgia. Some prime locations would be anything as close to Atlanta as possible. We also don't have one in the center of the state above Atlanta, this would be like the Cumming or Cleveland area. Also, we could possibly go for something in the Madison or Monticello area. I plan to talk to Charlie Elliot range and see what we can do with them. They are very excited to teach the youth, as are we, so I think we may be able to work something out. We have a shoot in Dublin and have a perspective range in Valdosta and possibly something coming along in Columbus at Ft. Benning. If you know of any other ranges or private property owners willing to work with us, we would be glad to get a shoot setup at their location.

Flyers in gun stores are super easy and worth the effort I think. I hit 5 gun stores this evening after work. Two were almost of flyers, two were stores I had approached for the first time, and one hadn't moved many. You will learn who understands the program and is giving out our flyers. Encourage the owner or their staff to come out for free and see what the program is all about, after all they are endorsing us by sharing our info.

If you know a shoot is coming up, post a PSA in local newspapers for towns that are within about a 45 min drive of the range. Please send me a heads up to make sure we aren't hitting the same outlets twice. Also, if anyone you know is willing to do an article on the program, please encourage this. We should be published in the next few weeks in the Toccoa Record after the reporter gets a story together and attends the next shoot.

Post info about shoots or Libraryseeds on message boards or online communities. Facebook is also a great place to inform your friends of upcoming shoots.

Some good ideas were laid out in the posts before me, but unfortunately some of the tasks got put on the back burner or weren't given the full attention they needed. Please review them and PM me to let me know if you can plan to be part of promoting Appleseed in Georgia in the future.

Roswell

I'm new to the Orange Hat and don't have funds to do much legwork, even printing fliers is too costly right now.  However, I am a moderator on The Survival Podcast Forum and have my own site Making a Homestead with accompanying FB page as well and I think I can reach a lot of people through those outlets. 

I'm right on Kennesaw/Marietta border by the way, but make frequent trips to Macon to see my parents. I'll do what I can about spreading the message at the gun shops and ranges there.

Also, if I can make it to some local gun shows I'd be willing to help out there.  As stated above though I am having funding issues so not sure when I'll be able to do so. Here though is a pretty good list of the gun shows in GA this year

PM me if I can do anything else to help.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

TomM1Thumb

I wonder if there is anyone near the Thomasville GA area?

There is a small rifle range there, that I talked to just after Christmas. Might be a good place to hold at least one Appleseed event, to get the word out in the South GA area and North Florida Tallahassee Area. My Brother in Law is a member of this Range.

I will provide the Info I have if PMed

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Terrco

:sb: I'd be glad to marketing and internet.

Rev.357

The key to getting a free table is twofold. 1 make it clear that you are not vending. You are not selling and everyone volunteers. 2 You a something of interest to draw showgoers, and send them home feeling they have gained something. Send as many as possible home with a dangerous old story or a quick strike except.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

TheMadMongoose

I'll help wherever needed.  I usually work weekends, but I can be available.  Tell me what's needed.  Just finished the program this past weekend, and it was the best!  What a super bunch of Instructors. These guys are PROS!!!!!! The Georgia Gun Club is super!!!

caffeinated

If you need help with technical and general organizational tasks, let me know.  Got experience with both, including non-profit.