News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rimfire KD, Mechanicsville, Va. Dec 18-19, 2020 AAR

Started by The Wolfhound, December 29, 2020, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

What a great bunch!  We had 7 shooters for the 100 Yard Rimfire KD at Mechanicsville, Va.  It was cold but not Winterseed cold.   Lessons were learned about our rifles and .22LR ballistics and challenges were met and exceeded.  Targets were engaged from 25, 50 75 and 100 yards and even a Velociraptor made an appearance!   Oddsreven and Dale provided assistance on Saturday and Brotherpilot and Alex had the duty for Sunday.  The crew could not have been larger due to our Governor's edict.  I had great help!
Saturday we began with our usual safety briefing and quickly moved to the Redcoat target.  Scores were quite good indicative of the quality (required!) shooter we had.  We reviewed 6 Steps of firing a shot and the steady hold factors for Prone position.   We established 25 yard zeros then took data for 50 yard engagement.  Then we moved to 75 and finally 100 yard to have our complete data set for our available distance.  We then reviewed seated and standing positions.
The AQTs began after lunch.  We managed 2 on the clock before we had to run the Redcoat and call it a day.  Up against the Winter Solstice, daylight fled fast! 
Sunday we reviewed concepts of ballistics and learned some history of Riflemen until we could shoot at 1PM.  We managed 3 AQTS before having to fight off a 6 inch Velociraptor at 100 yards.  You had to be there!  To close out we shot the regular Redcoat at 25 then did it again from 50 yards!

The results 6 Rimfire KD Riflemen including one "Distinguished".  Congrats to David, Will, Alex, Steve and Ryan (who had to miss Sunday) on their Rimfire KD Rifleman tabs and Special congratulations to Mike on earning a Distinguished Tab to go with his Rimfire tab.  It was a great shoot.  Much fun was had and no Velociraptors were harmed in the event though his paint was a mess.

Chieflane

This was a great weekend, I'm really glad I traveled down from Ohio. The instructors were great, and that really made the shooting a joy and I think it showed in the AQTs. It was a little wet, but I think it did not at all dampen the spirts of the shooters in chasing the Rimfire KD bar. The wacky ammo box exercise was a eye opening experience, and a lot of fun.  About the only down side was that I only put two shots on the dinosaur, I will get that rascal next time.

Thanks again Wolfhound for a fantastic weekend.

Leadslinger66

Velociraptors and "wacky ammo box exercises"? I'm intrigued. Tell us more!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

The Wolfhound

The Velociraptor was was a .22 LR rated steel target (of a velociraptor, imagine that) engaged from 100 yards.  Reactive targets give immediate feedback and are a lot of fun.
Wacky ammo is ammunition of varying weights and velocities (as spec'd by the manufacturer) to see what changes of impact and other factors can be observed.  The shooter will not know what he is shooting until after his mag is empty.  Not all .22LR ammo is created or intended to be equal.

Leadslinger66

Those are great ideas.

At what yardage was the wacky ammo exercise shot?
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

k3

Great meeting everybody - very impressed to learn the holds in my scope at 25 and 100 were easy to visualize - just gotta work on that squeeze with the rubber band exercise!  -Ryan
cell: 410-881-0064,  Annapolis, MD
Retired Navy nuke submarine officer, now Microsoft cloud engineer, ham radio K3FOR, '89 Jeep YJ and '77 MGB junkie, scouting and hammock camping, r/c aircraft, World of Warships, rifle/pistol fun