News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

South Huntsville AL Dec 13, 2020 Rimfire KD

Started by Maximum Ordinate, December 15, 2020, 12:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

On Sunday, many of the shooters from the Saturday Pistol Clinic returned on Sunday for a one-day Rimfire KD event.  After Saturday's cold and rain, we were grateful for a warm sun and beautiful sky!  We sold out with 15 shooters!

We were guests of the Hobbs Island Shooting Range, a beautiful facility in South Huntsville.  Our host, Don, is a big supporter of Project Appleseed!  Thanks Don!

This course of fire is a lot of fun and there's plenty to learn here for even a seasoned Rifleman - especially wind.  We started with about an hour in the classroom.  After a brief overview of the day and touching on topics such as IMC, trajectory, and wind... it was time to get out to the range.

We started the day with cold bore shots aimed at Morgan's Shingle!  We had three men who knew what they were about.  Congratulations to OldNavyDoc, Cokeguy, and Michael!

Then we started at 50 yards, gathering data and working our way out to 200y.  The range was a little damp, but we stayed on the dry concrete under cover! We got one 200y Rimfire AQT before breaking for lunch.  During lunch, Ramblin' Wreck told us the inspiring history about the Battle of King's Mountain.  After lunch, we got back to shooting and finished up two more Rimfire AQTs.

Congratulations to the following qualifiers, in no particular order:

Phillip - 41/50
Michael - 46/50 (high score of the day!   O0 )
OldNavyDoc - 45/50
NobleSavage - 41/50 (New Rifleman and new Orange Hat!   ^:)^ )
Brett - 41/50
Cokeguy 40/50
Google 42/50 (shot the 200y Rimfire AQT cold - no sighters!   :bow: )

Thank you to my fellow instructors for traveling to make this event a success, especially Booney Stomper and Morpheus who drove a long distance to fellowship with us. 

I hope everyone had a good time and learned something both about Liberty and about shooting.  It was great to hang out with Patriots for the day.  If you didn't qualify this time, PERSIST!  Keep focused on the fundamentals and you'll get there!

best,
MO

P.S.  Here's a few pictures from the day... feel free to add your own.

Michael receiving his Morgan's Rifleman certificate. (Patches were mailed well ahead of time, but are stuck in the mail!  :'( )

OldNavyDoc with his certificate

Cokeguy with his certificate

The newest Morgan's men.  Thanks to Ghostring & Mrs. Smith for making this idea a reality!

Here's the shingle.  It's really small at 125y. 

And our KD Riflemen...

Michael accepting his pumpkin spice Rimfire KD bar!

CokeGuy accepting his bar

NobleSavage with his new Rifleman patch and RKD bar!

Brett accepting his bar

A couple of belated Morgan's Rifleman certificates from last week's 400y KD event in Pelham, TN.

Morpheus

Google

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Mixed Metaphor

Thank you to all of the Shooters and Instructors!  It was an AWESOME day! 
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

CokeGuy

The Morgan Shingle challenge and the Rimfire KD were both a delight to participate in! Thanks to Rusty and to all the instructors for their dedication and preparation for this clinic.
I highly recommend a RFKD to all, no matter how well you can already shoot. It is a great way to gain confidence in adjusting your sights based on your data book for shooting from 50 yards to 100 yards, to 150 yards, to 200 yards...then working your way back down. Loved these challenges with a .22 rifle.

Old Navy Doc

This was a BLAST! The joy of hitting Morgan's Shingle was boosted by the knowledge that I have zero cooking skills. Lobbing .22 LR bullets out 200 yards may feel like artillery but works great with applying the 3 basics and an accurate DOPE sheet.

I used less than 200 rounds for the entire day, which makes this KD very affordable.

The instructors were fantastic and the group of shooters were a delight to be with. The range is beautiful and expertly maintained. I can't wait to return.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

Rustygun

Looks like a large time for sure! Congrats to all Morgan's Men and Women

Eagle Keeper

Nice shooting Coke Guy and Old Navy Doc. Sounds like a fun event can't wait to try it. :1luvu
I have come here to chew gum and teach riflemen the art of shooting one hole groups and I'm all out of bubblegum.
   Z-man
You can't shoot perfect if you don't know what perfect looks like.
     Somebody

Ramblin' Wreck

Congrats to everyone on a great Rimfire KD event.

A cautionary tale on shooting a RKD. Make sure you have the right ammo. That brand you're shooting that will make 5 round groups in one hole at 50 yards may not have the juice to make it to 200. Ask me how I know.  :slap:   Also make sure your scope has enough clicks up to get to 200. Ask Mrs. Wreck about that.  :-\
Can't wait till the next one. I enjoy spending time with my Appleseed family.
Merry Christmas to all.

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

NobleSavage

This weekend was a special event for me.
In hindsight my fouling up sight adjustment on my tech sighted Marlin was the reason I got my rifleman patch this weekend.
That, Eddie's borrowed rifle, Morpheus talking me through said unfamiliar rifle, and Googles succinct analysis. I didn't do it alone, and I am humbled by the experience.
I hope I can pay it forward in the future.
Regards,
Matt
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
H.L. Mencken

Movingshrub

First off, thank you very much to the instructor cadre for the work invested to make the event possible. This was my second Appleseed event and first KD. I was very surprised to leave with a Rimfire KD bar considering how little experience I have with a rifle. I had a wonderful time meeting some new people, improving my marksmanship, and most importantly, learning more about the values and events driving the foundation of our great nation. I am hoping I can attend a centerfire/full distance event in the future. Also, thank you to Mixed Metaphor who was kind enough to provide me a loaner rifle and shooting mat for the event.

The fog was thick on the drive to the range. I was slightly concerned this was going to be Known Distance; Unknown Target.

I learned promptly that the targets start to get small at 150+ yards. They are even smaller when you overlook that the loaner rifle has an adjustable scope.

Ramblin' Wreck

Michael

Mrs. Smith

Huzzah!

Congratulations to all, Riflemen and Morgan's Riflemen! 

Pumpkin spice bar?  This I gotta see in person.   :cool2: ;D

I can't wait to do a Rimfire KD!  I would love to have been there with you all.  Maybe someday!!

:F :F :F :snipersmi
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 17, 2020, 03:22:40 PM

When the RKD bars arrived, I saw a picture of them.  The OD green looked great, but the tan looked very orangey.  (Is that a word?)  I figured it was the lighting... until I got some in hand.

Oh my... they are not tan.  They are pumpkin spice.  Maybe we should make them a special fall-issue only item?

We've reordered and requested they make them in the proper tan color.  Some folks are particular about their patches, I've heard.   :)

It was good for a laugh.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Mrs. Smith

If that's not a word, it darn well should be!

You realize, of course, that's now the one I MUST have, just on principle  :cool2:  So, you'd better save me one, sir. I'm mighty determined once I set my mind to something   :)

Quote from: Maximum Ordinate on December 20, 2020, 11:03:43 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on December 17, 2020, 03:22:40 PM

When the RKD bars arrived, I saw a picture of them.  The OD green looked great, but the tan looked very orangey.  (Is that a word?)  I figured it was the lighting... until I got some in hand.

Oh my... they are not tan.  They are pumpkin spice.  Maybe we should make them a special fall-issue only item?

We've reordered and requested they make them in the proper tan color.  Some folks are particular about their patches, I've heard.   :)

It was good for a laugh.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Tennessee Beast

I MUST have one as well.  I will earn it, just save me one!  I like the look.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

JustKim

Sounds like a great time was had by all!  I definitely need to make my way up there sometime soon!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan