News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

More Homeschoolers in 2021!

Started by Bravo_Alex, December 09, 2020, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bravo_Alex

Hello Homeschoolers! The Appleseed marketing plan includes a goal to increase homeschooler participation in 2021. Let's talk about some ways we can do that in our various groups!

For example, my family's part of a homeschool coop. Our coop leadership is pretty strict on curriculum, so I doubt we can get a LibertySeed going  :'( However, my wife & I have personally invited several other coop members to participate in AppleSeeds. One did last weekend in Maryland. We're going for the informal approach now, hoping to build a critical mass so we can hold a LibertySeed either later this year or in spring 2022.

How can you help involve members of your homeschool communities in Appleseed, or AS in your community?

AF5US

Thanks for posting.  We are a homeschool family as well.  I would say that I've personally had the best success in my immediate sphere of influence.

First - volunteer regularly. 
Second - talk about that.  Not in an obnoxious, this-is-my-only-identity type of way - but as things come up.  "What did you do this weekend?" etc.  Don't neglect the history aspect, or how the history has lessons for Americans today.

I wonder how many people volunteer, but don't discuss it because they're worried about social stigma with certain friends & family members.  I can understand that, but the more we as a society try to hide it the more we're seen as the weird ones.

Talk about it on social media, if you are on it.  Before, during & after.
-I'm about to go to this event this weekend - stay tuned.
-Here are some pics from what's happening this weekend.
-This past weekend was great! Here's the good stuff that came out of it.  Sorry you missed; here's how you can do it next time.

It may seem like no one is listening at times.  However by CONSISTENTLY demonstrating that this is something you do on a regular basis, people will begin to take note.  I've had a fair few people I know attend, that never would have otherwise.

Here's an interesting question:
How are we as an organization measuring homeschool participation?  I have had homeschool attendees participate - both people that I know and do not know - that are not tracked or recorded as such.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Tennessee Beast

we sometimes host Friday/Saturday events to cater to Homeschoolers (it also benefits those heavily involved at their church)
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Sheepdog87

Hey, Bravo_Alex! As a fellow homeschool family in the state of MD, I'd be VERY interested in any kind of Liberty Seed event happening here.  I've already taken my oldest son to his first AS event but would love to get the others involved as well. In many ways, I think history is the most important part of the AS instruction, while marksmanship is the hook to keep their attention. 

I'm also part of the leadership of my Trail Life USA troop (a Christian alternative to the Boy Scouts) and would like to get something organized for the troop if possible, many of whom are homeschoolers as well.
--ARW
Morgan's Shingle and Redcoats Cleared 07 MAR 2020
Rifleman 07 MAR 2020
Distinguished Optics 08 MAR 2020
Winterseed 23 JAN 2021

Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31

Moylan

One important point, in my opinion, to build a little bit on what Tennessee Beast said, is that Saturday-Sunday events may not be especially attractive to many homeschoolers.  They aren't for my family, anyway, because no secular event on Sunday can take precedence over going to mass.  Now, people might respond to this along these lines: "our two-day events are already so inexpensive that there's no problem with a family signing up for such an event but skipping day two."  But you need to keep in mind, before making such a response, that homeschooling families are generally living on one income in a two-income society, and (not always, but in my experience more often than in the general population) have multiple children.  This tends to make homeschoolers (again, in my experience) rather thrifty.  The idea of dropping a bunch of cash on a two-day event, and then skipping half of it, is unlikely to appeal.  So in my opinion, doing non-Sunday events is key.  And even better than a Friday-Saturday, in my opinion, is a Saturday-only event.  It's hard to find two days running to do a big family event.  One day is much more manageable. 

Along similar lines, providing loaners is key.  I mean, many loaners.  And this must be communicated in the marketing.  Of the families in my local homeschooling group, only a very few are gun owners, and those who are gun owners would tend to own something like an LCP, not something like a 10-22.  Equipment issues keep a great many people from even considering an Appleseed beyond the standard "oh, that sounds great.  I should do that someday." 

Obviously, libertyseeds avoid both of these problems, so they're a great idea.  I'm just talking here about events that involve shooting.
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Google

It's becoming more common for individuals and families to be hesitant to commit to a full weekend for a rifle clinic.  The half-day clinics were initiated as a response to that as well as to draw in people who may want to get a 'first bite of the apple' before signing up for something more significant.  Many of us are also holding one-day clinics to give people more options for attending.  The main website has pricing for half- and one-day events, so the groundwork is there for those types of events to be added to any local schedule.  There is published curriculum for half-day clinics and we would be glad to help with any questions you might have about running a one-day event. 

Our mission is to reach as many people as possible with our message of Liberty and the principles set out by our Founding Fathers.  The new offerings, along with pistol, are an avenue to make that happen.

Quote from: Moylan on December 10, 2020, 10:57:09 AM
One important point, in my opinion, to build a little bit on what Tennessee Beast said, is that Saturday-Sunday events may not be especially attractive to many homeschoolers.  They aren't for my family, anyway, because no secular event on Sunday can take precedence over going to mass.  Now, people might respond to this along these lines: "our two-day events are already so inexpensive that there's no problem with a family signing up for such an event but skipping day two."  But you need to keep in mind, before making such a response, that homeschooling families are generally living on one income in a two-income society, and (not always, but in my experience more often than in the general population) have multiple children.  This tends to make homeschoolers (again, in my experience) rather thrifty.  The idea of dropping a bunch of cash on a two-day event, and then skipping half of it, is unlikely to appeal.  So in my opinion, doing non-Sunday events is key.  And even better than a Friday-Saturday, in my opinion, is a Saturday-only event.  It's hard to find two days running to do a big family event.  One day is much more manageable. 

Along similar lines, providing loaners is key.  I mean, many loaners.  And this must be communicated in the marketing.  Of the families in my local homeschooling group, only a very few are gun owners, and those who are gun owners would tend to own something like an LCP, not something like a 10-22.  Equipment issues keep a great many people from even considering an Appleseed beyond the standard "oh, that sounds great.  I should do that someday." 

Obviously, libertyseeds avoid both of these problems, so they're a great idea.  I'm just talking here about events that involve shooting.

Bravo_Alex

These are some great points! I'm happy to see more 1-day events popping up, as I agree, those are key for homeschooling families who might already be involved in multiple activities.

I want to add, in the East Coast at least, I've found when talking with some homeschoolers I need to emphasize different themes from the traditional ideals of our patrimony & the self-reliance that comes from marksmanship. Many of the homeschoolers in the Great Suburb between Northern Virginia & Baltimore are secular, unlike more generally religious homeschoolers I've known in the middle of the country. Depending on the audience, when trying to explain why this is important for ALL Americans, sometimes I talk more about the diversity among Patriots (like Prince Estabrook in 19 April), or the belief in universal human rights among some Patriots.

How do you guys make Appleseed appeal to different homeschoolers?

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST!