News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Battle Road Ruck?

Started by Bravo_Alex, December 07, 2020, 11:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bravo_Alex

My wife (forum name: meippoliti) & I were thinking how cool it would be to do a Battle Road ruck. Something like the DIY rucks from earlier this spring by GoRuck  (https://blog.goruck.com/rucking-training/diy-star-courses-free-hit-lists-to-ruck-over-150-cities/). The Google tells me it's possible to walk from Concord to Boston...have any of you New Englanders done so? Is it possible/feasible to do it safely in about 12 miles?

KProctor

Not sure about all the way back to Boston but there is a trail in minuteman national park thats around 4.6  miles
https://www.nps.gov/mima/planyourvisit/placestogo.htm

If there's not a full way back I imagine you could start in Boston and navigate side streets out to the park and then concord.

There's  a cool patch you can get for walking the battle road in the appleseed store

Also nice to meet another go ruck guy.
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleerâ„¢    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

CarrollMS

I used Google Maps to map out a walking route. The distance is 16.9 safe miles....about the same as in 1775. Time is 5 hrs 41 min. You could make a slight detour and go through Lexington by mapping it first. It does go through Arlington (Menotomy) and with a tour guide you could visit the historical sites.

see an attached map view and this URL
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bunker+Hill+Monument,+Monument+Square,+Charlestown,+MA/Concord,+MA/@42.4148318,-71.2744768,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e370f20b0797ff:0xacaf173272ec0298!2m2!1d-71.0607764!2d42.3763541!1m5!1m1!1s0x89e39a4026a422f5:0x58ce779a2b78a490!2m2!1d-71.3489484!2d42.4603719!3e2

Here is a bus map to get you back to your auto
https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/2020-10/2020-10-09-system-map-brochure.pdf
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Bravo_Alex

Thanks for the info! The Battle Road patch is neat, but it would be very cool to have a standard 2x3 ruck patch specifically for walking parts of Battle Road with a weight in your pack ;)

Good to know the entire road could be rucked safely. I'm never sure how accurate Google is for humans...I've built several routes, and usually my experience is a real person has to modify the way Google suggests. I wonder how hard it would be to create 5K, 10K, and 12mi routes around Lexington & Concord?

I might reach out to some of the local rucking clubs around Boston to see if any of them are interested in creating such a route for a DIY Star. What would it take for me to reach out to GoRuck to see if they want to create an event in April commemorating Battle Road? Maybe a joint GoRuck/Appleseed Star Course? They have events in honor of many battles which are arguably far less consequential for our nation than 19 April!

KProctor, what other GoRuck events have you done? I've just done some Star courses, but interested in doing an Event if I went with people.

KProctor

We could always shoot go ruck an email and see if they'd consider making it a star course with its own patch design. I've yet to get to do a Go ruck challenge with a group aswell .I wasn't able to find one with my travel schedule prior  and I mainly did the solo challenges that they were posting up last year. I do use my GR2 as my only pack though and it goes everywhere, heres a picture of it after backpacking through Europe in 2019. I'm hoping the restrictions go away at something so I can keep traveling with it.

Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleerâ„¢    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

AF5US

I know that it's early days in planning this, but I would be interested in joining a Battle Road ruck in general - doing so with a group of fellow Appleseed volunteers would make it that much better!  O0
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

CarrollMS

I opened the google maps in satellite and magnified the route; it appears that you can pick up the Battle Road Trail at Meriam's Corner and use it to the trailhead near Massachusetts Ave in Lexington
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Charles McKinley

I would also be interested in doing Battle Road with a group of Appleseeders.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Bravo_Alex

This is awesome! I'll reach out to GoRuck to see if they want to include this as an event.

If not, though, I'm perfectly happy to travel to MA on my own to meet up with other ASers & ruck all/parts of Battle Road. meippoliti is also interested (less so in the rucking part, but, ya know...), so I'll probably bring the family along.

I'm thinking of 17-18 April. How would that be for folks?

I'll probably get the Battle Road patch for this. Is there a branding problem with creating a 2x3 Appleseed patch we can put on our rucks, for ASers to buy at cost or direct from the manufacturer? I don't know who at RWVA manages image use or the store.

Skanondo

Is this still in the works?