News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Denver, CO - AAR - Nov 21-22, 2020

Started by Captain, November 22, 2020, 10:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

It was looking pretty grim. Due to an uptick in COVID cases, Denver and the surrounding counties changed the status to "Red" days before our scheduled event. Restaurants were again closed, "dine in" was cancelled and we assumed another Appleseed would bite the dust. The Skyline Hunting and Fishing Club, however, reviewed the event and saw we would comply with the restrictions and gave us the go ahead. Thank you SHFC! (And thanks to CodeFogey and MileHiXJ for the work they did with the range behind the scenes, answering questions and rallying support)!

Actually leading up to the event, the weather forecast was also looking particularly harsh. A Colorado event set up in late November is expected to be a winterseed, so it's just a question of how bad will it be. We did have some cold temperatures, but by afternoon each day it was absolutely glorious. You couldn't ask for better Appleseed weather! Additionally it was cold enough in the morning to take a crack at earning a proper Winterseed patch - the best of all worlds!

We lost a few Appleseeders the morning before the event due to positive tests of workmates or someone sick in the house (COVID status unknown). The seven remaining shooters showed up ready to go! Our Appleseed MVP for the shoot was Dave. He had contacted 6 shooters and worked to get them out on the line, even helping with loaner rifles and ammunition! Big thanks to Dave for being such a big part of the success of Colorado Appleseed!

I've posted a few pictures I was able to take. You can click on them to see the full size photo and click again to shrink down. I'd also encourage any of the participants to post and thoughts, photos or comments into the thread. Registering for the forum is free and it also provides the ability to be notified when there is a post to the Colorado Appleseed thread, so you'll be the first to know when new events are planned or posted in Colorado (or nearby in New Mexico/Wyoming).

Attempted group photo with social distancing

Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.

I will post more pictures as I catch up.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

The folks who showed up to this event were ready to work on marksmanship. After setting the stage with safety, we set out to check the fit of rifles before moving on to the fundamentals of the prone position.

Getting rifles fitted and slings adjusted   

Shooting prone   

Of course the fundamentals of precision marksmanship were only a small part of something bigger - the message of liberty. We broke for a lunch together on the range and shared the story of April 19th, 1775.

Lunch break and Flux tells the First Strike   

MileHiXJ follows up with the Second Strike   

CodeFogey and the Third Strike   

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.

Captain

The afternoon of the first day included even more shooting as we picked up the pace a bit.

At the end of the first day, both Ben and Dave demonstrated that "they knew well what they were about". Ben had entered the Rifleman club on his first AQT at his first Appleseed and MVP Dave made his first Appleseed requalification for 2020!

Captain

When we arrived to the range on Sunday, it was beautiful . . . and COLD. Temps were down in the teens (11 at the house when I left) but figuring it would warm up given the sunny day, we decided to try a couple of AQTs and see if anyone could earn a Winterseed patch.

Several shooters were in the hunt, but when the scores were tabulated, it was Ben and Dave who once again passed the mark. Luckily neither of them scored exactly 210 :) (someone was awfully close!)

Ben getting another patch

Dave shoots well at any temperature!

Captain

We spent the rest of the morning reviewing the material from the first day and working through some drills. Even instructors were able to get some time on the line to maintain their skills.

When the smoke settled, we had found another Rifleman - Jacob! Dave also found his "mojo" and scored Distinguished.

Jacob earns his patch

Captain

This also happened to be BravHrt's first event as an instructor, which meant a fancy new hat and a Colorado Cadre patch. He definitely put it to good use this weekend!

Captain

At the end of our time together, we saw a lot of improvement in putting rounds on target. And I hope everyone felt a little more committed to the principles of this great country and joining together to preserve liberty. Thanks to all for coming out!

Also one more picture - the brothers in front of the flags. What a great way to spend the weekend with family!

KProctor

Captain your after action reports continue to impress me, it looks like it was a beautiful  day on the range and welcome to Colorado's new ITT BravHrt
Rifleman   06/20
Rifle KD     12/20
Pistoleerâ„¢    07/21
Rimfire KD 01/22
Morgans Shingle 05/22

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose