News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Period costumes

Started by Digger13, October 19, 2020, 03:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digger13

Does anyone know a good place to get period costumes? I'd love to dress the part especially for a Liberty seed.

EZ3

I got mine from Townsends.  Wish I had bought a better grade of hat, but was at my budget limit.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Captain

Interesting. I'd never heard of Townsends, I didn't realize how much some of the serious reenactors spent and I see why you might've hit your budget on a hat. After I started with Appleseed I got interested in a flintlock rifle and didn't realize what an investment that entailed either.  ;D

Someday . . . maybe.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

colonial shooter

Wendy, Look into WHeels( the costume makers for CFD. They specialize in period dress. Although may be a little later, but may be doable with a few modifications
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Flintlock54

You can find anything you want at a rendezvous, the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assn. can be a big help in helping you find one. Not pushing membership but NMLRA is a really good historical information center. Some of the curators from Williamsburg are members.

The persona you want to portray is a big decision,ie. frontiersman, soldier, "mechanic", etc. If you locate a rendezvous go hang out, talk to the participants. You'll find something appealing and might even begin a journey down a previously unknown trail
Acts 22:28. I was freeborn

asminuteman

*Costume?*
this is not a Shakespearean sonnet ! , Nay good Sir, these are my clothes
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Digger13

*Costume?*
this is not a Shakespearean sonnet ! , Nay good Sir, these are my clothes

True, poor choice of words. Last year I asked a reenactment woman where I could get a proper 1975 outfit. She looked at me and then proceeded to tell me that a "good woman" would spin her own yarn, weave her own cloth and make her own clothes. I thanked her for the realism of the part she was portraying. Unfortunately that wasn't the type of answer I had hoped for.

Digger13

"You can find anything you want at a rendezvous, the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assn. can be a big help in helping you find one. Not pushing membership but NMLRA is a really good historical information center. Some of the curators from Williamsburg are members.

The persona you want to portray is a big decision,ie. frontiersman, soldier, "mechanic", etc. If you locate a rendezvous go hang out, talk to the participants. You'll find something appealing and might even begin a journey down a previously unknown trail"

Not sure if there is a group near me in Wyoming. Here so many are mountainman rendezvous but I will look into it. As for who I want to portray, I'm struggling with that. Being female I could do that, or portray someone like Deborah Sampson, (Robert Shirtliff) or one of my ancestors, a French Captain that fought with the continentals. Choices for sure.

Timber Wolf

Quote from: Digger13 on November 17, 2020, 04:15:35 AM
where I could get a proper 1975 outfit.

I assume you mean 1775?  If we want to do 1975 I still have that stuff in the basement closet.  Not kidding, you never know when it might come back in style. ..:.. 

asminuteman

Digger, Mame

re: costume"..... sometimes its the difference between a living historian, reenactor or just someone playing dress up... and Sir I taint no childs doll ! .... (for the record I'm a registered living historian for the National Park Service and have taught the subject for decades)

It however is called a "costume" by many,. see "costume college"... teaching folks how to make period attire.

Next, in Wyoming nay not many colonials, yet go to Fort Bridger in Colorado, several times each season is taken over by the colonials and  F&I folks
Also one of the largest Colonial events west of the Mississippi occurs in Orem Utah on and before, and after the 4th of July,.... everyone from sequiem Washington to SoCal, AZ usually show up.... to include the NPS Mr Franklin, Mr Adams, Mr Jefferson and Mount Vernon's Washington ...

And if you are looking into a portrayal..... seek out "Mad Annie Bailey"...(Susanne).... best female living historian in the country

edit,... I dug up something that may help you : Facebook page : Colonials in The Rockies ... open membership, Judy runs the page

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine