News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Specifications for a new AS location

Started by happydad, November 18, 2020, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happydad

I'd like to organize an AS shoot in my location and I'm wondering what the minimum qualifications would be for a site. Off the top of my head, I thought:
1) Clear field of fire with a good backstop
2) Restroom facilities

What else would I need to be looking for as I talked to people? We don't have any ranges near here with bathrooms and instructional rooms, but I thought popups and portapotties (number determined by participants) might work.
"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedomsâ€"to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Ramblin' Wreck

You have nailed two of the three criteria I always used for new ranges. The third one is neighbors who don't complain. This assumes you live in a county with no zoning prohibitions against the activity. The site will need to be visited by senior cadre to verify its suitability and then a host agreement created.
Check with your state coordinator to make it happen. Let me know if you need help.
Where is the property located?

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

happydad

I'm checking out a private range in Hickman County, considering my property in Hickman county and a property in Perry county. I'm pretty sure I can fill up a line multiple times a year with students if I can find a local range and there are instructors available.
"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedomsâ€"to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl