News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jackson, TN AAR November 14-15, 2020 TN Sports Foundation Range

Started by Rustygun, November 17, 2020, 07:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustygun

An incredible event at the TN Sports Foundation Range in Jackson, TN! This was the first Appleseed at this location. Big thanks to David who invited us to the range and made the event possible. The weather was made to order and the line was full. We had a good mix of AS vets and new shooters. After the preliminaries and the First Strike, we shot the morning Redcoat and learned we had some shooters present and also some work to do. We hung up some squares and turned on the fire hose. Groups shrank all morning under the watchful eye of the Instructors. The shooters were zeroed so after lunch, the Second Strike, and IMC we made sight adjustments putting the shooters in the black. One shooter experienced some frustration with his new scope until investigation revealed it adjusted in MILS instead of MOA. The shooters had great attitudes and soaked up the instruction like sponges. We worked through sitting/kneeling and standing with a few mag change drills and NPOA shifts thrown in. We wrapped up Saturday after having made a lot of progress with the new shooters and return shooters putting it together more.

Sunday morning we had a TPI review session where the shooters had to tell the Instructors the steady hold factors. Questions were answered and rifles were brought to the line. After some squares to confirm zeroes, since we know how gremlins can sneak into a rifle during the night, and making sure everyones screws were tight, we started the AQT grind. It didn't take long for Jacob, at his second AS, to show he knows very well what he is about with a 214! He backed that up later in the day with a 213. Then Jim broke through to shoot a 210, earning him a baptism in the waters of the North Bridge, followed up with a 218 with a borrowed rifle at his first event! Nice going Jim!

We had two repeat Riflemen Keith and John show they still have what it takes with Keith putting up a 215 and John shooting a personal high score of 232! A  couple of Dangerous Old Men no doubt!

The Zombie stage was a big hit as always.

The rest of our shooters gave good accounts of themselves showing a lot of grit and persistence. There was a lot of learning, improvement, and comradarie to boot on the line. We hope to see everyone back on the line soon.

Thanks to all the Instructors and Blue Hats who showed up to do some bailing and kept everything running smooth all weekend!

Jeff takes an Orange Hat. Welcome aboard!

Steve gives the safety briefing

the shooters going to work

one of the shooters studies her target

Jacob gets his patch

Jim earns his patch and is blessed

John with an all time high score 232

Keith's still got it

Alan gets a Blue Hat

Google

Looks like a great event and even better to be at a new range.  Good job everyone.  Congratulations to all the Riflemen!  :beer:

Sgt-at-Arms

Really good wknd. Felt good to be back on the Line and out on the Trail.

For the Mission :F
S@A
Kenneth Dawyne Pirtle
"Sgt-at-Arms"

"we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

happydad

Really fun day with great people at a nice facility with fantastic weather!
"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedomsâ€"to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

happydad

Pics of the small ones.
"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedomsâ€"to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Mustang

What a great weekend at Jackson, Tennessee.  Our shoot team, Midsouth Riflemen showed up and gained two new Riflemen patches and two others earned another one.  We had a first timer shoot a 202 score, so we know he's coming back.  Two days of sending lead down range, who couldn't have fun and learn some new skills as marksmen?  Thanks to our volunteer instructors for all the history and the skills training.  Project Appleseed is a great organization.  Congratulations to Rusty Gun for earning his Shoot Boss green hat.

Old Navy Doc

It was an absolute treat to instruct and help this group of inspired shooters and patriots. They all demonstrated an eagerness to learn and persevere, overcoming habits and equipment. Our tiniest shooter Vivian (age 8) was a brilliant beacon for all of us with her grit and joy at clearing a Redcoat target (even if a bipod was in proximity). Her Dad should be proud. 

One of our new Blue Hats, SciFi, was a great help and an inspiration with her wonderful progress over the last 3 Appleseeds I've seen her. She, her brothers, and her Orange Hat dad are fine additions to the team.

I can't say enough for the great job our Shoot Boss did to custom tailor the COS and direct the team of instructors to do exactly what this group needed to excel. The Rifleman patches and hats given out are a testament.

The TN Sports Foundation Range is a hidden jewel that is no longer hidden. What a great facility, you would think it was custom built for Appleseed. I can't wait to come back and spend more time here.
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

playback

This really was a good shoot! I was able to bring my daughter, this was her first AS. At 8 years old, I didn't think she would come back for the second day, but she surprised me and muscled through both days with a real thirst to clear each target. I really love the appleseed family environment :)

Thank you all for making it happen and accommodating shooters of  all ages and experience levels!

Pics are of HappyDad modeling positions and Vivi getting after it!

Jeff

SavvySteve

Thank you to everyone on the Appleseed team for taking your time and energy to make this event happen.  I'm definitely glad I did it and look forward to improving the trigger system on my rifle so that I can improve my skills.  I look forward to doing it again and hopefully getting my daughters ready to do one with me.

We were blessed with great weather the entire weekend and the facility was very nice.
-> First Appleseed - 11/14/2020 ___ Rifleman - 9/25/2021
-> IBC Memphis, TN - 3/6/2022  ___ Orange Hat (IIT0) - 3/6/2022
-> First KD - 9/17/2022 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 9/25/2022
-> IBC Jonesboro, AR - 2/11/2023 ___ Rifleman re-qualified - 4/23/2023
-> IIT2 (Memphis, TN 5/20/2023) - 6/7/2023 ___ Second KD, Hit the Morgan Shingle! - 9/17/2023
-> First Appleseed Pistol Clinic Qualified Pistoleer™ -  11/17/2023

dart67eb

I had a great time even though I was only there on Saturday.  This is a great range that is worthy of selling out every time!  The folks that showed up to shoot did a fine job.  Kudos to Rustygun for running his first shoot.  The other instructors were outstanding and I look forward to seeing them and the shooters again in the spring. 

PS. I heard zombies came out on Sunday. 
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

RiverRat Rifleman

The Jackson shoot was  a great time.  Rustygun ran a smooth and fun event.  All the instructors were very helpful dispensing sage advise to help improve accuracy throughout the weekend.  Thank you Old Doc, Sarge and Steven for all you did on the line.  It was good to see Eb who popped in to give moral support on Saturday.   I look forward to the next Appleseed.
Rifleman (scoped) Memphis
Rifleman (open sights) Jackson
Morgan's Shingle Puryear
Known Distance Huntsville
Pistoleer™ Memphis

Black Knight

What a great range and terrific support!  Besides, who can beat a hot meal served on site.  Very enthusiastic shooters of all ages who improved throughout the event.  We will see more of this range in 2021!
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Black Knight

Hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs and grilled bologna.  It is no wonder the shooters were fired up at this range!!
Black Knight

Black Knight

Now here is the inspiration for each Appleseed Instructor and shooter.  Check the last picture in this string.  If she can do it, with persistence we all can!!!
Black Knight