News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak AK, AAR November 7-8, 2020 Winterseed

Started by Taka222, November 15, 2020, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taka222

Wow, what an amazing weekend!

On a cold, snowy weekend in November, I can't imagine a more Alaskan thing to do than have a Winterseed!

And apparently, I'm not alone in that  ;D ;D. On Saturday morning, 14 of my fellow Alaskans decided to come out and learn how to become Riflemen. It was a pretty chilly day, but everyone stuck with it right up until the end.

Come Sunday morning, despite a nasty little storm rolling in, 9 hearty souls came back for more. After a quick review, we started in on the patented AQT grind. Despite the weather, no one really wanted to go home!

In the spirit of true perseverance, we added 2 new riflemen for our ranks!

Nathaniel, on Saturday got a 212!

Shad on Sunday got a 214!

And one of our Distinguished Riflemen, Christian, came to collect his Winterseed patch with a 225!

I would like to thank ALL our students for coming out to show everyone what Alaska's all about.

And I would like to thank my Instructors for coming out and working their butts off in some pretty nasty weather.

I hope to see all of you on the range next year!
Taka222
PREPAREDNESS - "When you need it and don't have it, you will sing a different tune." Burt Gummer

Captain

Wow! Well done Alaska! I'm busy getting bundled up for a Winterseed here in Colorado, but it's unlikely conditions would equal Alaska in November (I used to live in Anchorage). And 14 shooters! Incredible.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Gus

Here's a picture from our Winterseed at Birchwood.

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Gus

Setting up in the morning

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Gus

Just before clinic start on Sunday

Gus

And AK-84 teaching Inches Minutes and Clicks

This was a great weekend for me. My youngest son Nathaniel made Rifleman for the first time, a Winterseed no less, my other son Christian was able to join us on Saturday.  He earned his Winterseed patch, and my wife Trudy was a shooter both days, her second Appleseed clinic.  She's been practicing with her rifle and is knocking on the door so to speak. She shot a personal best of 198 on Sunday and I think next spring she'll make it.

As for me I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with the other instructors and learning how to teach these skills and tell the stories. A great weekend all around!

Gus, IIT 1
Alaska Rifleman #151