News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX AAR Appleseed AQTP Persistence Weekend Oct 24-25, 2020

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, October 23, 2020, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

College Station, TX AAR Appleseed AQTP Persistence Weekend Oct 24-25, 2020. CCC Shooting Complex.

2 days.

15 AQTs.

4 Riflemen - one of those distinguished rifleman!

10 shooters total joined us in College Station last weekend for a unique Appleseed shoot.

It is my understanding and experience that most Appleseed shooters attend 3-4 shoots before making a Rifleman score. This shoot was intended to provide a greater number of AQT drills than experienced at a standard Appleseed weekend to expedite this process - more shooting with less instruction.

Originally the event was open only to prior Appleseed attendees. I theorized that a previous attendee would be very familiar with the material taught on Saturday. Our intent was to have these experienced shooters shooting AQT targets as quickly as possible after Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, Line commands, etc. were reviewed.  Other marksmanship points of instruction were covered as needed. We dubbed this AQTP - Appleseed Qualification Target Persistence. Maybe this has been done before, but it was a first for us in College Station, TX.

One of those prior attendees - Jan -  that registered for AQTP was 7th stepping and asked to bring two new shooters along. I didn't want to turn them away. TT92 had been 7th stepping and asked if he could have a new shooter he invited participate. How can I turn TT92 down? Finally scuzzy had two new shooters that transferred to this event from a prior event - 6 new shooters total.

I credit TT92 with the pistol bay idea - two pistol bays at the CCC that were side by side and separated by a berm. Prior to this shoot we had been in the Center Bay (rifle) for at least the last 7 years. It had been some years since I had been to the pistol section of the range - there were many improvements like covered shade areas, tables and functioning flush toilets. The berms are deep enough to make wind gusts less of an issue.

To accommodate the AQTP and new shooters the solution was two shooting bays - Line A for the AQTP shooters and Line B for new to Appleseed shooters. We were very fortunate to have a cadre of experienced instructors to work this event and have both bays well staffed. Safety, Safe Rifle, Line Commands, etc. was instructed with all shooters in one group.

The experienced AQTP shooters shot one Hits Count, then one Squares target for zero confirmation. They then went through 5 AQT drills on Saturday and 10 AQT drills on Sunday. FIFTEEN AQTS! That is more AQTs in a single weekend shoot that I can recall since I began instructing.

The prior Appleseed attendance for the AQTP group ranged from 2 to 4 prior shoots per shooter.

Of the four AQTP shooters THREE made repeated Rifleman scores! Edison was the first on Saturday, followed by his father Jan and sister Eva on Sunday.

Once the new shooters had shot at least one AQT on Sunday we had them move to Line A - combining all shooters in one pistol bay shooting AQTs until the final Hits Count target.

One of the new shooters - Tim - made a Distinguished Rifleman score of 232 with an iron sight rifle Sunday afternoon. HUZZAH!!!

More details and photos soon!
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

scuzzy

Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on October 23, 2020, 02:42:45 PM

The experienced AQTP shooters shot one Hits Count, then one Squares target for zero confirmation. They then went through 5 AQT drills on Saturday and 10 AQT drills on Sunday. FIFTEEN AQTS! That is more AQTs in a single weekend shoot that I can recall since I began instructing.

lol - 15 AQTs? I think you may well have set an Appleseed record.  :~
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

GenX Minuteman

Steve,

Way to go in making a successful experience for all Appleseed skill levels!  15 AQTs is quite an achievement, but the added 4 Rifleman (1 Distinguished) is even more exciting!  Way to go sir!

Chad - GenX Minuteman

Quote from: GenX Minuteman on October 28, 2020, 01:07:12 PM
Steve,

Way to go in making a successful experience for all Appleseed skill levels!  15 AQTs is quite an achievement, but the added 4 Rifleman (1 Distinguished) is even more exciting!  Way to go sir!

Chad - GenX Minuteman

Thank you, sir!
Ladyseed Man Slave

Saturday!
These pics are of shooters in the AQTP bay. These three shooters are in the same family. Each has been to 2 - 4 Appleseed shoots in the past.

OMG! Ghostring working the line! So good to have him present.

Nice shaded area in the pistol bays.

Tank5 telling us about the history of the first day of the Revolutionary War - what we refer to as the First Strike.

The AQTP shooters were shooting AQTs for score early Saturday.

Some really nice hits on 2nd Stage.

Taking a break to hear White Paladin present the 2nd Strike.

By the last AQT on Saturday Edison had made RIFLEMAN!!! Good job!!!
Ladyseed Man Slave

Sunday!

Loan came to the shoot Sunday joining the rest of her family on the AQTP side.

Rifleman Edison decided to bring an iron sight .22LR rifle to shoot Sunday.

We had shooters start with a Squares Target to verify zero.

By 9:40AM shooters were shooting the first AQT of the day!

To save a little time we alternated between normal sequence AQT courses of fire and "Austrailian style" starting with 4th Stage.

Tank5 down in the dirt with the shooters during prep.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Sunday AQTP shooters to the left of the berm. Standard Sunday Appleseed on the right.

Standard Appleseed line just getting to shoot one of their first AQT targets.

After lunch and some stories of Dangerous Old Men, we had the standard Appleseed shooters combine with the AQTP firing line.

Caveman1 calling the line!

Jan made Rifleman! Soon after his score - using a scoped .22LR - increased to a high of 231!

Edison followed up with Rifleman scores using iron sights!

Shooters continued to persist.

Eva! Not to be outdone by her brother and father Eva made Rifleman! I had scored her target and found a "mystery" Rifleman score - finally noticed she had written her name on the BACK of the target. :wb:

Scoring all these targets - 10 total AQTs for Sunday - makes me sleepy…

…but it pays off!

Tim - one of the first-time Appleseed shooters - put aside the scoped rifle he had been using - not quite making rifleman with it - and employed an iron sight .22LR to produce a Distinguished Rifleman score of 232! Huzzah!!! Not bad Marine!

Until next time…DRYFIRE!

Ladyseed Man Slave