News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pistol Clinic question

Started by ErsatzMacGuffin, October 20, 2020, 09:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErsatzMacGuffin

Hey folks,

I understand that the Pistol Clinic program is new to the Appleseed curriculum.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to run one at either Charlotte or Ramseur in the near future?
  Also, please correct me if I am wrong, but are the Train-the-Trainer events just for current Red Hats?
Rifleman - 18 October 2020
Orange Hat - 18 October 2020
Known Distance Rifleman - 22 November 2020
Pistoleer™ - 12 June 2021

Captain Amos Horton, Jr. - Kershaw Regiment / Camden District Regiment - South Carolina
Richard Hannah, Sr., James Eaddy, and Samuel Eaddy - "Marion's Men" - South Carolina
James McDaniel - 2nd South Carolina Regiment
Joseph Stonecipher - Wilkes County Militia - North Carolina
Reuben Ard - Washington District Militia - North Carolina
Phillip Hildebrand - 4th Company, 4th Pennsylvania Battalion
Robert Henderson, Sr. - 1st Company, 2nd Pennsylvania Battalion
Shadrick Jones - 3rd New York Regiment
Francis Coley - Charles City Militia / Second Virginia Brigade

Jakob Barthel - Grenadier Regiment von Rall

Captain

Hey ErsatzMacGuffin, I don't know the NC schedule but I can answer the other question. You are correct, the Train-The-Trainer events have been limited to Red Hats. I believe that's primarily to maximize the number of slots available to produce more Appleseed Pistol Instructors and currently, you have to be a Red Hat on rifle before you can be a pistol instructor. As this is a new program, things are always evolving and improving but I do believe I've accurately described the current situation. If nothing else, hopefully instructors will use that as motivation to move quickly through the IIT process on rifle.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

ErsatzMacGuffin

Thank you.  My overall firearms background is heavily pistol focused and that definitely does add to my motivation to speed on through IIT.

Captain Amos Horton, Jr. - Kershaw Regiment / Camden District Regiment - South Carolina
Richard Hannah, Sr., James Eaddy, and Samuel Eaddy - "Marion's Men" - South Carolina

Thaddeus

Cousin Hart and I plan to run a Pistol Clinic sometime after the first of the new year at Ramseur.

// Thaddeus

ErsatzMacGuffin

I will keep my eyes peeled for the date to pop up on the schedule then.

What is recommended for this event?  .22 pistol or whatever one is comfortable with and can shoot accurately?

Captain

Most shooters prefer a 22LR for the clinic if you have one. The rimfire is easier on the pocketbook and removes a good deal of the recoil element from learning the fundamentals. It's definitely not required though.

Using your centerfire may have some advantages if that is the pistol you'd anticipate using most often. Another consideration is reliability. Many of the rimfire pistols seem to have frequent malfunctions while modern centerfire pistols firing factory ammo are notoriously reliable.

For what it's worth, the pistol which seems most common for folks to qualify on is a rimfire pistol with a red dot sight. I don't have that so I used my centerfire and it worked fine for me (and no malfunctions  :) ).

In the end, the recommendation is the same as an Appleseed Rifle Event - shoot what you got. If you have a choice, the rimfire is normally a great way to start (and cheaper).
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

ErsatzMacGuffin

Thank you very much.  I am looking forward to it.

malabar

HUZZAH!

tk

Quote from: Thaddeus on October 20, 2020, 02:26:51 PM
Cousin Hart and I plan to run a Pistol Clinic sometime after the first of the new year at Ramseur.

// Thaddeus
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003