News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cardinal Shooting Center AAR 10-11-2020

Started by Corvette, October 11, 2020, 10:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Shooters,

What a great Appleseed we just had at Cardinal Shooting Center near Marengo, OH this past weekend.  We had 19 shooters arrive Saturday morning ready to work on their marksmanship skills.  And what a great group of shooters we had.   

The weekend started with a welcome, an introduction to the goals of RWVA and Project Appleseed, and a safety briefing.  This was followed by bringing rifles to the line and we started the shooting portion of the event with the Sat morning Red Coat. 

Results were mixed.  We had 10 of 19 shooters put three rounds in the 100 yd target, 6 at 200, but only 1 at 300, 1 at 400 and only 2 joined Daniel Morgan's riflemen.  Nobody cleared this Red Coat.

But we were not deterred. We moved to the points of instruction (POI).  The steady hold factors in prone were presented by Doc Willi followed by the six steps and NPOA.  Drills were shot after each POI and we then moved to shooting groups for sight adjustments.

The First Strike was presented at lunch followed by an IMC presentation.  We returned to the line, sight adjustments were made and confirmation groups were shot.  This was followed by a second sight adjustment session to get everybody "dialed in".

We were then at the afternoon break where we presented the Second Strike. 

We then moved to the steady hold factors in seated followed by related drills.  This was followed by the steady hold factors in Standing and related drills.

We then completed a practice AQT.  This was followed by the Sat afternoon Red Coat.

Results showed improvement.  We had 15 of 19 at 100, 10 of 19 at 200, 5 of 19 at 300 and 4 of 19 at 400.  We had 9 folks join Daniel Morgan (Huzzah) and we had two clear the Red Coat.  Congrats to Scott and Dan.  The day ended with the third strike presentation with a call to action by Corvette.

Sunday dawned cloudy but dry and all but one of the shooters returned for day two.  The Sunday morning Red Coat showed good results.  We had 12 of 18 at 100, 8 at 200, 5 at 300, 3 at 400, 4 joined Daniel Morgan and we almost had another cleared Red Coat.  One of our youth shooters, Calvin, who is only 12 years old, came within one shot of clearing his Red Coat.  Clearly there is potential here. 

After we completed the Carding the Sights drill, we moved to the AQT grind.  On our first AQT, we had two shooters re-qualify.  Congrats to Scott and Karen.

We shot a second AQT and then we broke for lunch. At lunch we presented the KD briefing and we returned to the line.

Two more AQTs were shot and we finally had someone cross the line to Rifleman.  Congrats to Tom for shooting the score.  In fact, Tom shot the special score of 210 as his first Rifleman score and he greatly accepted the baptism of holy water from the North Bridge having shot a 210. 

We then shot one final AQT followed  by the Sunday afternoon Red Coat. Results were strong.   We had 17 of 18 at 100, 10 at 200, 7 at 300, 2 at 400 and 5 joined Daniel Morgan.  Great improvement was evident compared to Saturday morning.

We closed the event with a final call to action for all the shooters.

My deep thanks to all the shooters for having a safe and fun event and to the Instructors (Doc Willi, Saluki, Lil Dragaon, Shadow870, Black Bird, and DevilKitty) for working the event.

Also, my thanks to the Cardinal Shooting Center for hosting us again. 

I hope to see all the shooters at a future Ohio event.  Remember that a Rifleman persists, never gives up and recognizes that a Rifleman's skills are not easily attained.  See you all soon.   

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

devilkitty

This was a great shoot, and well worth the drive from the gloomy side of the state line!

It's great to see such improvement over the weekend. So many so close... dry-fire practice at home is your friend, and doesn't burn up ammunition! Positions, Six Steps, NPOA, trigger control, transitions - you can work on all this without sending a single round downrange. Persist, persist, persist!

And remember: the last twenty points are between your ears!

Lil Dragon and I are looking forward to seeing you all on the line at another event soon. :)

Best,
Charlie
Grovertown, Ind.

Have Blue Hat -- Will Travel
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -- Thomas Pynchon
"A people who forget who they are will become whatever they are told they are." -- Graywolf

Corvette

Pics from a Great Event.

1. Saluki gets his Orange Hat.
2. Cleared Red Coats Sat PM.
3. Scott and Karen re-qualify.
4. Tom shoots 210 and gets baptized in the waters of the North Bridge.
6. Tom gets his Rifleman's patch.
7. Sunday challenge, fourth place, team Wyman.
8. Sunday challenge, third place, team Whitamore.
9. Sunday challenge, second place, team Revere.
10. Sunday challenge winners, team Davis.  The ladies rocked this challenge.
11. Liberty's safe guard in the future.
12. Almost a cleared RC by our youngest shooter.  Huzzah!!!
13. Doc Willi gets his Red Hat.

Great weekend. 

:pics:

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Saluki

My wife and I had a great time!!!  My first as an instructor and hers as a student.  Looking forward to many more.  Attached is a picture she snapped of Doc Willi and I doing the NPOA / Carding the Sights Demo.  Thanks to all the students and instructors for a great weekend!
- Veni Vidi Vici -

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Aliquippa

Thanks to Corvette and the other outstanding instructors on this shoot. This was my third AS rifle event and second time, shooting a prequalifying score. I am still struggling to improve and learning sometimes the state of one's equipment is a factor as much as the actual shooting process and knowing the difference is a learning curve for me as well. Still....